PC How should I purchase Terraria for PC?

Timbersky

Terrarian
Hello to everyone in the forums.

I'm very interested in acquiring Terraria for PC, since I really enjoyed how the ambient music, pixelated environment and mechanics of this game appear to work so smoothly together, all this despite the concept behind the game being so simple, yet really malleable that its only limitations are our time, creativity and wether or not we got mods installed (which we can add) - I just love it, really want Terraria!

However, I noticed that the primary distribution platform is Steam :(. I dislike Steam, because if you buy something there, it's not really yours (those Valve heads want 80% of the profit for themselves, at least that's what some random Valve employee claims).

I've had poor support experiences in the past when I reported bugs in games I liked, but they never got fixed nor was there much, if any, feedback from Steam support; It must be a nightmare to get any sort of compensation or assistance when something goes really bad on Steam, which is why I wanted to avoid it and mainly procure replacement stores.

Is there an alternative place for me to buy Terraria from, other than Steam and is there any difference? If you tell me that Steam is the best place to buy, well, I guess that's where I'll get Terraria from. Nonetheless, if I can go to another platform and still get 100% of the game then I'd really like to know.

You can buy Terraria on GOG instead of Steam here: Terraria on GOG.com

Games bought on GOG are DRM free, after you've bought and downloaded the game. You don't need an internet connection on a client.

There is a GOG Galaxy client if you wish to use it, but unlike steam, it's optional to use the client.

You can buy Terraria on GOG instead of Steam here: Terraria on GOG.com

Games bought on GOG are DRM free, after you've bought and downloaded the game. You don't need an internet connection on a client.

There is a GOG Galaxy client if you wish to use it, but unlike steam, it's optional to use the client.

Thank you Aurora for your reply! Can I use the mods available on the forums if I do purchase Terraria on GOG just the same way I could on Steam? Will updates be available on both at similar dates and will multiplayer work just the same as it does on Steam?

Thank you Aurora for your reply! Can I use the mods available on the forums if I do purchase Terraria on GOG just the same way I could on Steam? Will updates be available on both at similar dates and will multiplayer work just the same as it does on Steam?

For updates the game is updated to the same version of the steam version (which is 1.3.5.3 now)

Updates on GOG sometimes come a little later compared to Steam when it comes to hotfixes, but the delay isn't too long. A day delay at most, and then it's the same version.

For mods you can still use mods if they are compatible. I don't know as much about the details on things like tmodloader. Last I heard, there may not be a version of tmodloader for 1.3.5.3 on GOG which could make it trickier.

GOG does support downgrading Terraria diwn to 1.3.4.4 and you can choose to have manual or automatic updates.

Multiplayer is a little trickier since 3rd party software might be needed for it to work. (Before Terraria for Steam got steam integration, software such as hamachi had to be used for multiplayer) I'm not sure if GOG Galaxy might support something but unfortunately I don't have the full details on that either.

I'm not sure where you got those ridiculous numbers, Valve has numerous flaws but being corporate and greedy towards developers isn't one of them. I'm also not sure why you think Steam Support is responsible for bugs you encounter in a game; that is the responsibility of the developer.

But regardless, just use GOG as directed.

I'm not sure where you got those ridiculous numbers, Valve has numerous flaws but being corporate and greedy towards developers isn't one of them. I'm also not sure why you think Steam Support is responsible for bugs you encounter in a game; that is the responsibility of the developer.

But regardless, just use GOG as directed.

ASG was right, after all I did remark an incorrect value (80% profit was not right, 30% is the proper number after rechecking). I've had a relatively significant batch of improper experiences with Steam support, namely when it came to aiding in attempting to fix an issue with the multiplayer system in Dawn of War 2 (since the original studios had been closed, and the game is from the early 2010s, it had plenty of glitches, buggy incidents that simply curbed the experience a lot -- and Steam didn't really seem to care, despite the DoW community actively longing for a change).

Changing how the multiplayer system functioned, probably could have been something Steam would have been able to help if they wanted to (me and my neighbor always had to rely on direct IP connections, the actual servers didn't work properly at all because of Games for Windows Live services still getting in the way).

I know Steam has some really stringent and inflexible rulings in regards to reparation and indemnity, which when paired with the other thwarting issues I experienced in the past (and how so many horrible titles appear to be released nowadays, without restraints), lead me to inquire if there would be an alternative platform that wouldn't make the experience inferior to the one you find on Steam, at least when playing Terraria.

Based on what Aurora stated I guess I should think about this a little further before paying the required amount to get Terraria today, but GOG does appear to be the better platform when something, if it does at that, go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom