Is anyone else completely unable to handle spiders?

I don't really mind the spiders in general, but the sound the Blood Crawlers make when you hit them is kind of... juicy. :dryadeek:
[doublepost=1483908368,1483908301][/doublepost]
Anyway of removing/replacing spiders for the current version? I have pretty bad arachnophobia and it's seriously starting to get difficult for me to enjoy the game, when I get a heart attack from just thinking about going in on a mining trip.
Well, you could try out the experimental texture pack feature. I think you need to enable it in the .config file, or something. You can probably figure it out with a quick Google search.

If you are so afraid of spiders that you cant handle pixel spiders, this is a sign of something wrong deeper in. But I don't know how someone could be afraid of one of the most useful critters there is to have.

3grF1mt.jpg

Bonus Fact: No you do not swallow spiders at night. Thats in the same league of bull:red: as "lemmings are suicidal" and "this merging lane means its time to race everyone who is already in the right lane."

ff2a9dd38bc4c1f73124a7d4f318ea8a.jpg
Personally i hate spides irl, to the point of if i see one i turn into al capone. "I WANT HIM DEAD, I WANT HIS FAMILY DEAD AND HIS HOUSE BURNT TO THE GROUND!

Wierd thing is i can deal with them in games, granted they creep me out but I can deal. Even the big basterds in skyrim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woo! Replying to "Old threads". I successfully stared at all of the spider pictures on this page for a bit. It's just Terraria's spiders that I once shut off my computer for. I think its the way that they pathfind down walls, zigzagging sometimes and swarming. Also the fact that they are the size+ of my character makes my skin crawl. Non-moving spiders activate a switch in my brain that says "Welp, it's either dead or dying. It will never be sleeping out in the open". Live ones I've seen move requires the patent pending "Shoe Throw" or some RAID.

Woo! Replying to "Old threads". I successfully stared at all of the spider pictures on this page for a bit. It's just Terraria's spiders that I once shut off my computer for. I think its the way that they pathfind down walls, zigzagging sometimes and swarming. Also the fact that they are the size+ of my character makes my skin crawl. Non-moving spiders activate a switch in my brain that says "Welp, it's either dead or dying. It will never be sleeping out in the open". Live ones I've seen move requires the patent pending "Shoe Throw" or some RAID.
My family have the Yellow Pages Dance(TM). Not so good any more cos it was the phone book and it's now tiny and light as hell compared to the old days.

You slam the book down on the little bugger and then jump up and down on top of the book shouting "DIE YOU MULTI-LEGGED SPAWN OF SATAN!"

Arachnophobia?

Honestly, I don't understand how Terraria's spiders are scary, mind if somebody elaborate?
For the same reason real life spiders are scary to some people: they just are.

Arachnophobia is irrational. There's no train of thought or advanced reasoning someone goes through when they see a spider, it's purely instinctual. Terraria's spiders look close enough to real spiders to trigger that response.

Kinda creepy, yea. Maybe it's the fact that they're HUMAN SIZED and can EAT YOU ALIVE. I mean, I have arachnophobia, (towards only one spider, strangely), but these things are rather creepy. Maybe it's the sound they make?

The spiders are fine when they're on the back walls. Only when they're crawling along the ground do they creep me out - they just give that impression of having far too many legs, and that impression is what creeps me out.

Arachnophobia?

Honestly, I don't understand how Terraria's spiders are scary, mind if somebody elaborate?
Above all else, what Kazzymodus said is the basis of it. People are scared of the spiders in Terraria just because and even if they knew the answer to that question, if they were to tell somebody that wasn't irrationally afraid of them the reason they probably wouldn't fully understand unless they were scared of them as well. And you'd probably get conflicting answers, too.

I can deal with them now that I've engaged them more, but for me at least it has something to do with tunneling and then suddenly encountering a spider cave without making an entrance to it, where their legs just sort of poke through the one layer of blocks from the darkness. It just creeps me out. Cobwebs block out most of the light even if you were to place torches so most of the time they just materialise out of the darkness. They're not that scary if I just end up overcoming that uneasyness and killing them, but that's the same for facing all fears I think.

What I never understood though is that it's a tad inconsistent since it's only the normal ones I can't deal with. The ones that are found in the Jungle and surprisingly enough, Blood Crawlers pose no problem for me. I think it has something to do with the quantity of them more than anything else, since I had a similar problem in Minecraft with Cave Spiders to the point where I would completely avoid all mineshafts because of them. The incredibly realistic gigantic spiders in Skyrim also pose no problem for me.

It's the same with my fear of deep bodies of water which transfers over to video games. I can't deal with the ocean biome in Terraria, nor could I in Minecraft (even though there was nothing in the latter that could hurt you) and I avoid all bodies of water in Skyrim and Fallout 4 as well (even though there's also nothing in the latter that can hurt you).

I find the spider caves creepy too. "Oh look, spider web! This must be a special cave!" "Oh look, a scary spider! Kinda creepy, it too much" "OH LOOK, A FREK'N CORPSE STAIRING BLANKLY INTO SPACE! TOATTLY NOT EVEN SLIGHTLY CREEPY"

Back
Top Bottom