Khaios' Build Spectacle

What "class" do you prefer to play in Terraria?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. I guess my biggest suggestion is to be willing to experiment. If I have an idea for a build, and I have no idea how to accomplish it, I will try anything I can think of to get there. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fail, sometimes I learn a new trick that doesn't exactly help me for the project, but is extremely useful for others. Don't be afraid to break out of your comfort zones, and try new things. Accepting player build requests is pretty helpful for this. If you get some of the more cliche requests, try and think of a way to make them unique to you. I often get castle and angler house requests, so I try to make them as different as possible.

Google is your friend. Use it well! If I ever need inspiration, or if I'm attempting to build a style of structure I've never attempted before, I will frequently use google to find images to give me ideas of my own. Also, looking at what other people have built on Terraria is a fantastic way of learning new tricks. I don't recommend directly copying their work (without permission), but if you see that they've done something that looks great, but you have no idea how they did it, just ask! Every builder I know would be happy to share. Not all of my special tricks were developed by me. I've learned quite a lot from the Terraria community.

Now for a few bits of advice more directly related to building, I guess, haha. Never underestimate the value of paint and actuators. Paint can make nearly any type of wood look relatively close, and can give you new "stone" looking options. It can also be used to make actuated items look closer to being "active." If you actuate stone slab, for instance, then paint it white, it will look similar to a normal stone slab block.

Actuators are amazing for creating window frames, pillars, and supports. There are other great uses of them, so just play around with it! Pumpkin block holds paint extremely well, and gives a fabric appearance. When placed on the sides of a window, they look like drapes. Actuate them, and they can be freely walked in front of. Some hammer platforms are a great way to "hold" those drapes up. One warning about actuators. If you are using them inside a house, make sure there are background walls behind them. An actuated block does not count as a wall, and may ruin the validity of your housing, or allow monsters to spawn inside (they can spawn in front of actuated blocks, as long as there isn't a background wall behind them).

Windows don't just have to be glass walls. Fences of all types work equally well, and you can even leave gaps without losing the validity of your housing, as long as the gap in the walls is no longer or taller than four blocks. Just be warned that if you choose to leave holes, monsters can spawn inside of them, so during a blood moon, regardless of your friendly npc's, you may get monsters inside your house.

Don't use only one type of material for a build (personal preference). My floors are almost never the same materials as my walls and ceilings. Usually, my floors will contain two material types, and my ceilings may as well. I personally prefer the floor and ceiling to be two thick, and walls to be two (or sometimes three) blocks thick, unless the build is very tiny. Find out what works well together, experiment with what blocks blend, and what blocks do not. Sometimes it looks better to have them blend, and sometimes it looks better if they have a definite line. That's up to you! Blocks hammered in half will always blend into the block below them (even if the blocks naturally do not blend with each other), and ones hammered to an angle will always blend with the block above and/or the block below them, but not the block to the side (unless the block types blend normally).

I could go on for days, but this is already TL;DR worthy, so I'll end it now. Hope some of this mumbo jumbo could prove useful to you ^.^

Happy building!
Khaios, you're always so generous with your tips and advice, it's really wonderful to see. Just wanted to give you that comment in addition to clicking the 'like' button. ~:)

Hello everyone! Sorry for the long time with no word ^.^
As usual, I've been quite busy working on my adventure map, and the STW mod, along with real life stuff. I've been waiting to share some screenshots of the next STW update with you all, and since everything has finally been coded in, I'm finally able to share what we've been working so hard on!

Hope you all enjoy the newest addition to Odin's Fjord: Kriki Village ^.^ (warning: the spoiler contains a lot of images)

The OP will have a couple more screenshots than this spoiler, as well as the map, and for anyone that plays the mod, you can expect to see the Odin's Fjord overhaul available in an update that is releasing later today!

Kriki Dock.png

Kriki Boat Construction.png

Kriki Bridge.png

Kriki Blacksmith.png

Kriki Arena.png

Kriki Arena Waiting Room.png

Kriki Longhouse.png

Kriki Longhouse Interior.png

Kriki Longhouse Basement.png

Kriki Tannery.png

Kriki Market.png

Kriki Western Gate.png

Kriki Eastern Gate.png

Happy Sunday, Terrarians! ^.^

Today, I'm going to release a little spoiler for an upcoming update for STW. It's possible the arena may change after live testing, or if I decide to make some small edits, but here is the interior of the PvP Viking Arena in Kriki Village!

I have a few more pvp areas slotted to be built in the next couple of weeks, so my next posts will probably be somewhat similar. ^.^

Kriki Arena Grounds Photoshoped Tiles.png

Happy Sunday, Terrarians! ^.^

Today, I'm going to release a little spoiler for an upcoming update for STW. It's possible the arena may change after live testing, or if I decide to make some small edits, but here is the interior of the PvP Viking Arena in Kriki Village!

I have a few more pvp areas slotted to be built in the next couple of weeks, so my next posts will probably be somewhat similar. ^.^

Aesthetically pleasing, and looks like a fun PvP area!

Aesthetically pleasing, and looks like a fun PvP area!
Hopefully you will be able to try it out soon! ^.^

--------------------------------------

It's Monday Terrarians D: In light of that, here's a serene build that I did for next month's CC and reddit's weekly contest. It just happens to be my first ever Asian inspired build. Hope you enjoy ^.^

There is a night screenshot in the OP, as well as a download link.
Sakura Treehouse.png

Beautiful layout of that tree. Love the bamboo plants as well.

Thought it said Alien inspired build and was confused when I opened the spoiler at first. `:happy:

It's Monday Terrarians D: In light of that, here's a serene build that I did for next month's CC and reddit's weekly contest. It just happens to be my first ever Asian inspired build. Hope you enjoy ^.^

Well..... When I saw this I wanted to play instantly. Normally nothing provokes me into wanting to play terraria that much.

i see the bamboo you did there xD its really cute! lol but why no negativo?! XD hrhrhrrhehehe

It's funny how The forums are about that..
pc hacks= "meh"
Mobile anything resembles hacked= get them! Burn them, delete their account they aren't permitted! (Basically they flip out over mobile.)
Modding in PC in general, is fine, as it's PC. Backup is easy, easy to install and remove, ???
On mobile it equals to editing the game itself, which may or may not work. And if you did it wrong, bam, save file gone, broken game, ???.

If modding on mobile is allowed, I expect a :red:-ton of people coming here whine about their game being broken and stuff.

Also whatever the platform, the developers do not take any responsible for game being broken if you use 3rd-party programs or modding the game. It's your fault after all.

Modding in PC in general, is fine, as it's PC. Backup is easy, easy to install and remove, ???
On mobile it equals to editing the game itself, which may or may not work. And if you did it wrong, bam, save file gone, broken game, ???.

If modding on mobile is allowed, I expect a :red:-ton of people coming here whine about their game being broken and stuff.

Also whatever the platform, the developers do not take any responsible for game being broken if you use 3rd-party programs or modding the game. It's your fault after all.
It's not even modding that they would flip out over tho. You could do something as simple as a post like "how to back up saves and have more then 9 worlds mobile rooted"
They would still flip out calling it modding. When it's just showing how (if you have root) to access the saves and move them out of the game folders so that you can have safe backups and expand your world count. (You could do it through a pc too instead)

It's not even modding that they would flip out over tho. You could do something as simple as a post like "how to back up saves and have more then 9 worlds mobile rooted"
They would still flip out calling it modding. When it's just showing how (if you have root) to access the saves and move them out of the game folders so that you can have safe backups and expand your world count. (You could do it through a pc too instead)
Yea, that also count as modifying the game too.

Since we are getting off-topic, why don't you PM a mod and ask them yourself?

I have a question: How do you take bigger screenshots of your builds? Take for example the spaceship; How did you fit all that into a single screenshot?

@Red Slime Glad you got it figured out.

I almost always go into the settings in camera mode, and disable image packing. There is one key reason for this: when you use image packing, it kills the quality of the screenshot. The larger the build, the worse it gets. By disabling image packing, however, that means I must use photoshop (or paint, or something similar) to stitch the separated images together.

For very tall builds, the camera mode tends to put the environmental background really low (for taller builds), which I dislike. It also doesn't have an option for beaches. In these instances, I disable backgrounds on the camera mode. Then, while I'm stitching the separated images together, I also use photoshop to add the appropriate biome background (from saved png's of terraria backgrounds) behind the build in the area I want it. Admittedly, this is a lot of extra work, so I only do this when I feel the need is absolutely necessary.

Just a heads up: sometimes the camera mode bugs out for very large builds. Background walls will be invisible in sections, paints will not be present, lighting gets a bit wonky as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom