Welcome to Modding (PC Only), the place to find and share Terrarian mods, tools, maps, and resource packs! Please be sure to read the following rules and guidelines before posting or downloading content from this forum section.
DISCLAIMER: The Developers of Terraria, the Staff of the Terraria Community Forums, and any associated entities are not responsible for any issues encountered by members of the Terraria Community due to their use of player-created game enhancements. No guarantees are given or implied in regards to the performance of any player-created game enhancements nor their impact on the core game.
Modding (PC Only) Summary
The modding section contains two categories: Mods & Tools and Maps & Resource Packs. In turn, there is a discussion and help section for each category.
- Mods & Tools: This section is the location to share and find mods, tools, and other Terraria related software. These can range from utility and editing tools to trainers, cheat applications, and modified clients or servers.
- Modding Help & Discussion: This section is for general discussion of mods and tools, such as questions, tutorials, requests, etc. Please do not post actual mod/tool threads in this section.
- Maps & Resource Packs: This section is the location to share and find player-created world maps and resource packs for Terraria. These can range from adventure maps to golf maps, and texture packs, music packs, and language packs.
- Map and Pack Help & Discussion: This section provides an area to discuss and get help to your questions in connection with player-created world maps, texture packs, music packs, and language packs.
Modding (PC Only) Rules
- Terrarian Community Rules & Culture apply to all categories, groups, sections, and threads on the forum.
- When using URL shortening services, such as ad.fly and bit.ly, a second normal non-shortened link must be provided.
- Members are asked to host their enhancement and content files on external uploading services, such as MediaFire or Mega, whenever possible.
- Topics related to unavailable/unreleased/exclusive in-game items on all platforms are governed by additional policies. The same is true of game and save files on the console and mobile platforms. Please read the information in the Piracy & Modding area of the main rules thread before taking action related to said topics.
- Do not post or link to cracked, pirated, or any other type of "free" Terraria.
- Do not post or link to decompiled source files of Terraria.exe or TerrariaServer.exe.
- Do not post or link to any enhancement containing malware or other malicious content.
- Do not advertise enhancements outside of signatures and one's own profile page.
- Do not plagiarize any content. Ensure that copyright laws are respected and do not use restricted material without permission. Intentional plagiarism and copyright violations will not be tolerated.
- Do not post or link to any enhancement that violates forum rules. This includes, but is not limited to, harassment, violation of the Piracy & Modding policy, inclusion of any pornographic material, and inclusion of hate speech or otherwise bigoted content.
- Do not package Terraria's fonts, images, sounds, or other content files for the purpose of redistribution. However, Terraria content files may be included in an enhancement if they are needed for the proper operation or use of the enhancement and not primarily functioning as a form of redistribution.
- All mod, tool, map, and resource pack threads must provide a reasonably informative title. Unhelpful and ambiguous thread titles will be changed.
- All threads must include some form of introduction or description text explaining the purpose of the enhancement. A feature list, installation instructions, requirements beyond vanilla Terraria, example screenshots, enhancement logos, and support banners are all examples of useful information that could be included in the opening post.
- Where possible, use an appropriate title prefix tag when creating a thread. This allows other members to more easily find the thread when using the forum's search functionality. If a thread is lacking a prefix, then an appropriate one may be added by a member of the staff. Additionally, members may report a thread that lacks a prefix and request that one be added.
- Game enhancement threads may be bumped by the thread creator or members of the enhancement team provided that the bumping post contains relevant, non-trivial updates related to the enhancement. Bumping for the purpose of general discussion or to raise the thread to the top of the section index is not allowed.
Mods & Tools Rules
In addition to the global forum rules and the above game enhancement rules, there are further guidelines that mod and tool developers should be aware of.
Important Note: Some mod and tool developers have received permission from Redigit to bypass certain restrictions listed below. For example, a few mods and tools have asked for and received permission to disable or bypass Steam. However, unless you have been given permission from Red stating otherwise, then all of the following rules must be followed.
- Do not publicly release source code of recompiled Terraria.exe or TerrariaServer.exe mods.
- Do not disable, modify, or otherwise bypass the Steam verification process.
- Do not disable, modify, or otherwise bypass the restrictions of the Terraria Collector's Edition.
- Do not implement removed content. This applies to the items listed on the Terraria Wiki Unobtainable Items page under the Removed Items section.
- Do not use content from another mod, or that you do not have the right to, unless the mod is an update to a previously abandoned mod, and it meets the below requirements:
- Updating may only take place if the creator cannot be contacted at all, and has been offline from the forums for more than one year. For mods developed by a team, it must not be possible to reach any member of the team.
- No changes are allowed to be made to the mod, other than what is needed to update it to the latest version of tModloader and/or Terraria. Changes include modifications, balance changes, additions and removals.
- The updated mod's name needs to be the same as the original (minor changes to indicate the new version are permitted, for example adding "Updated" as a suffix). Where possible, the new name should also include the original author's name.
- It must be made extremely clear in the mod thread and description that this is simply an update, and credit to the original mod creator and a link to original mod thread must be given and must be displayed prominently.
- None of the original mod assets can be used for anything other than the mod (don't incorporate the abandoned mod's assets into your own).
- The updated version will be removed if at any time the original mod creator notifies us that they wish for it to be removed.
- Updated section names and links: 2023/07/23
- Fixed broken images: 2023/05/17
- Updated to include rule about updating abandoned mods 2023/01/02
- Updated wording to include Resource Packs, which include texture packs, music pack, and language packs 2021/03/29
- Removed restriction regarding console/mobile exclusive items: 2018/08/02
- Updated with loosened restrictions on modding unobtainable items: 2017/02/27
- Removed outdated items: 2016/12/16
- Clarified restricted items rule: 2016/05/09
- Published: 2017/02/27
Last edited by a moderator: