No Wood Boxes: A Building Guide

It seems like myself you also suffer from Terraria OCD ;D

However that does not mean you have to use box styles for everything.
For starters mix up some materials pearlstone goes nicely with stone slab because they don't "snap" together. I like using stone slabs as exterior material,giving shape and then define the insides with something else.

Also, double up! A 2 tile wall already makes a big difference plus you can experiment using a hammer to try different shapes. As a tip,google Fibonacci Terraria. That gives you a good idea of all sorts of shapes and the best thing is they are OCD friendly :p

I would get rid of the boss arena on top. Move it underground or in the sky if you still need it.

I would then convert the right side of your base into something like a cathedral with a nice big coloured window in the open section at the bottom. Or make a castle out of it
Google is your friend for references :)

Next, get rid of the background wall leading to the left to the 8 rooms stacked on top of each other. Give them shape and convert it to a watchtower that you could connect to the left structure via a hanging bridge.

Mix up your interior decorations, use different light sources and "theme" the rooms differently. Dungeon,glowing mushroom,corruption and so on.

I hope this wall of text isn't overwhelming and helps you get inspired. Keep on building! :)

Capture_2018-05-15_20_17_27.png

Alright, here's one of my builds from a couple days ago. Took a bit of time - pre-hardmode on a new save.
One of the only ways I can think of to make standard wood not look like hot garbage.

Returning to TCF after a long absence, on a new world that I (probably) haven't posted of yet...
This time, NPC house builds with a focus on simplicity and compact profile.

Capture 2018-05-29 12_37_24.png

Capture 2018-05-29 12_19_13.png

This is my go at a house themed off of Firexia's first example. It is a greenhouse but I don't have planter boxes or clay pots... new character feels lol
[doublepost=1531506500,1531506428][/doublepost]
Ehm, This is my new world and new character base, i used some ideas i saw here, plz dont hate it lol

bNVBLsZ.png

This is an awesome starter base! Good use of the shaping... but it could maybe use a roof :)

Attachments

• Capture 2018-07-13 12_21_25.png
    Capture 2018-07-13 12_21_25.png
    44 KB · Views: 376
terraria house.png
This is one the best houses I've built on any of my worlds so far, some may say it's over decorated and i would agree.
I am using Thorium Mod for this house and the wood is actually yew wood and the red looking chests are scarlet chests. Yew wood looks similar to boreal so you could probably use that.
The roof is actuated bricks some unpainted and some painted red or black.
All switches you see are wired to the lighting in their room (as you can see the hellavator shaft room has torches switched off).
I hope y'all get inspired. ;)

Last edited:
The guides really cool, but boxes will always be an amazing thing for Speedrunners/ people who desperately need a certain NPC mwahahhahhahahh

I love this guide so much <3

I'm going to use this guide to help me completely revamp my nasty/huge/inefficient base with meteorite brick items!!!!

Many thanks to your guide! I made a space ship house from it.

Still need to get a teleport pad, and figure out where the entrance is going to go but apart from that it's nearly done.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 2.23.19 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 2.23.19 pm.png
    272.5 KB · Views: 392
0e69e0ffdebaf90f3147f3c2e610f8cc.png
a7f78c18a847f4b2913845bf6bc88b17.png
My small pre-hardmode expert base. This is the first time I actually try to do things like this, all my other characters just had giant NPC hotels that ended up touching a floating island.
It isn't that good but at least it's not just stacked boxes :p

EDIT: I also added a tavern since I found the Tavernkeep in hell. Still a bit of a WIP though.

98b167ec16c9a4c5dc3c847583c1fa22.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom