Terraria: Otherworld On a Quest for Otherworldy News!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're sighing because you think they mean just those consoles, remember that when we got our first bit of Otherworld news, it stated that they would focus on Desktop versions and have no info on consoles.
[DOUBLEPOST=1442645503,1442645040][/DOUBLEPOST]By the way, now that I've played Starbound, I can see what the people saying it looks like Starbound mean. It looks kind of like a mix between the two art styles, which is awesome, because I love Starbound. One thing I don't like is that melee weapons look like they'll work like Starbound. I prefer the kind of swing that Terraria has than the swipe that Starbound has. Other than that, it looks amazing!

Um, their look is kinda disappointing... Maybe it looks better animated, but static picture of old NPCs in new style doesn't impress me.

So at the first I didn't like the game but now when there's more and more pictures I kinda feel like to try it out when it comes out, I really like the graphics, it looks fresh and clean :)

If you're sighing because you think they mean just those consoles, remember that when we got our first bit of Otherworld news, it stated that they would focus on Desktop versions and have no info on consoles.

What? No. I'm "sighing" because the game isn't even out on PC yet and they're already selling out again. They could've at least outsourced the console versions like they did with Terraria. If they're working on all 3 versions, they aren't giving 100% to the PC version.

Plus I get the feeling the PC version is the one getting ported, not the console versions. If that's the case, welcome to the club Re-Logic.

By the way, now that I've played Starbound, I can see what the people saying it looks like Starbound mean. It looks kind of like a mix between the two art styles, which is awesome, because I love Starbound. One thing I don't like is that melee weapons look like they'll work like Starbound. I prefer the kind of swing that Terraria has than the swipe that Starbound has. Other than that, it looks amazing!

But they share pretty much the same style, which is probably because they were drawn by the same person, if I'm not mistaking? Anyway Starbound's sprites are just bigger...

What? No. I'm "sighing" because the game isn't even out on PC yet and they're already selling out again. They could've at least outsourced the console versions like they did with Terraria. If they're working on all 3 versions, they aren't giving 100% to the PC version.

Plus I get the feeling the PC version is the one getting ported, not the console versions. If that's the case, welcome to the club Re-Logic.
Are you sure that they're not going to outsource the console versions?

I'm just glad the Table looks reasonable. In Terraria, Tables come up to your neck when you're sitting on a chair, which is why I usually don't use tables (I use workbenches instead). But sadly, workbenches are way down at your lap which I find would be awkward to actually use as a workbench.
[DOUBLEPOST=1442677040,1442676753][/DOUBLEPOST]

What on Terra makes you think that they're going to develop the console version first and then port it to PC?

Wouldn't a better, more logical course of action, be to come up with the engine, and the assets, and then separately write the Console and PC versions independent of each other? And even if they did have to port it, Re-Logic started out as a PC developer. I highly doubt they'd just throw the PC part out the window and decide to go all Console instead, lol.

And that's assuming they're not gonna have 505 do the Console stuff again.

Re-Logic is successful primarily because of the PC and the sheer success Terraria had on Steam and GOG. Do you think they're going to screw over the very same customers by releasing a shoddy port? Has Re-Logic/Red/Cenx ever given us a shoddy update/patch/etc?

Thusfar, from Terraria 1.0 to 1.3.0.8, they've given us nothing but hard work and quality. Why would you ever believe that they'd do anything else? There's an obvious demand for Terraria for Consoles and Mobile; plenty of people enjoy those. Would it not make sense to make plans from the very start to make sure T:O arrives on those platforms so that Terraria fans there can enjoy it too?

I might be one of those "PC Master Race" people who believe that PC gaming is just simply better for many reasons, but yet this is going into that territory where all that's going to get accomplished, is annoying the developers and the console gamers for no reason.

It is one thing to point out the advantages to PC gaming (there are several), but it is another thing entirely to make a nuisance of yourself to the point you make console gamers hate PC gamers in general. Nothing good ever comes of that.

What some of you don't seem to realize is that Re-Logic is partnering with Engine Software in ALL platform versions of Terraria: Overworld. This has been a joint project from the very beginning. Engine brings console development experience to the table, since they did the console ports of Terraria. Engine is also working on the previously announced PC/Mac versions of T:OW, too.

They aren't going to develop this all for one platform, then "port" it to the others (like the Terraria development has been done). They are developing for all platforms together, in tandem, so that (hopefully) all of the major issues are dealt with once with the same code base. This should help eliminate the large version disparities across platforms and make releases more unified and closer together (there's still the unavoidable Sony/MS certification processes to be dealt with for consoles).

I doubt this announcement for consoles was made without them having done significant testing to ensure that the overall impact on development would be minimal, in terms of resources needed and projected release windows.

But they share pretty much the same style, which is probably because they were drawn by the same person, if I'm not mistaking? Anyway Starbound's sprites are just bigger...

Terraria 1's style is very distinct from Starbound's style of weapon swinging, and T:OW has its own team and artists entirely, so there is no overlap between the T:OW's sprite creators and T1/Starbound.

Terraria 1's style is very distinct from Starbound's style of weapon swinging, and T:OW has its own team and artists entirely, so there is no overlap between the T:OW's sprite creators and T1/Starbound.

I would hope so, because... well, no offense to Starbound, but I highly prefer the style of combat in Terraria to that in Starbound. Doesn't help that Starbound feels so... generic... in comparison. Lots of mobs that have no names that drop nothing but pixels and occasional meat/hardened plate and all the weapons function the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom