Game Mechanics On Dungeon Fishing

i mean the attachment that links your other posts. is it the status?
Oh, no, it's the signature. Click on your name at the upper right corner and then, in the menu, there'll be an option that says "signature." That's where it is. But let's stop talking about it here before the server staff tell us to keep the thread on-topic.

People actually fish in the dungeon?
Fishing in the Dungeon can, in addition to ordinary Caverns fish, get you the following two items:
1. Alchemy Table
2. Golden Lock Boxes (can be opened with a Golden Key to give you a weapon/item from a Locked Golden Chest from the Dungeon, such as Valor, Magic Missile, and Cobalt Shield.)

... and that's it. Nothing else unique or even of note. You will almost certainly not need an extra Alchemy Table that you can't find elsewhere in the Dungeon, and you'll also probably never need to get extra Locked Golden Chest weapons. So, to answer your question, no, people do not fish in the Dungeon. This post aims to fix that!

As we enjoy some fishing, having more unique items to be gained is always appreciated.

Although we have always been skeptical about having the ability to get weapons from fishing, we know there are plenty of weapons that are already obtainable from fishing, so this is just a minor detail we think about.

I really like the potions and don't think that a knockback resistance potion would be too OP. Although three new potions from a single area that is not the most commonly placed to fish seems a bit much and runs into the risk of being missed. Hopefully, with quests added as you've suggested, this won't be such a great issue.

Enjoyed the sprites as always.

As we enjoy some fishing, having more unique items to be gained is always appreciated.

Although we have always been skeptical about having the ability to get weapons from fishing, we know there are plenty of weapons that are already obtainable from fishing, so this is just a minor detail we think about.

I really like the potions and don't think that a knockback resistance potion would be too OP. Although three new potions from a single area that is not the most commonly placed to fish seems a bit much and runs into the risk of being missed. Hopefully, with quests added as you've suggested, this won't be such a great issue.

Enjoyed the sprites as always.
Yeah. I just thought it was odd to let players fish in the Dungeon but not have any real reason to do it. And while you've got a point about three whole potions being potentially missable, I did try to give them effects that could easily be filled by accessories, and nothing the player wouldn't have already or couldn't get at this point. That way, they're good if you have them, but you aren't totally missing out if you don't. Cobalt Shield, Feral Claws, and Sharpening Station are all things that you're likely to be going after at this point in the game, if you don't have them already.

As for the weapon, I just wanted to add another biome fishing weapon to even out the scales, as there currently isn't one for Summoner. Dungeon probably isn't even the best place for it; thematically it makes more sense to get it from the Jungle. But still, I like what I've come up with, and it keeps in the theme of being something you could realistically fish up, in this case a pile of fish bones.
I'm in favour of anything that can improve the skyblock experience. Even just the addition of gold keys from the dungeon is pretty nice on its own, let alone all the other cool additions and changes!
I didn't even think about Skyblock, but you're right, you would be able to do all this in Skyblock! That's a lucky coincidence.

We also need a way to get more biome weapons per world, since we can get biome keys. Rare chance for biome chest crates, maybe altogether they have the chance of a gold/titanium crate? Still need biome keys to open them, of course, but I want vampire knives in every world.
A biome lock box would be good, similar to gold/obsidian lock boxes, but with a reduced drop rate.

A biome lock box would be good, similar to gold/obsidian lock boxes, but with a reduced drop rate.
Yeah, I mean, realistically it wouldn't change much, since you still need to beat Plantera to open it. How about this idea, then? While fishing in the Dungeon, after Plantera is beaten, you have a very small chance of reeling in a Biome Lock Box of a random type. The Biome Lock Box can be open with a Biome Key of the corresponding type, and you'll get the corresponding weapon. Additionally, however, a Biome Lock Box can be shimmered to turn it into a Biome Key, meaning that theoretically you can get both keys and weapons by fishing in the post-Plantera Dungeon.

The probability of reeling in a Biome Lock Box is exactly twice as rare as reeling in an Extremely Rare catch. In numbers, this means that your chance of reeling in a Biome Lock Box is equal to fishing power / 9000, and it's hard capped at 1/12. Practically speaking, this means that if your fishing power is 100, your chance of getting a Biome Lock Box is 1.11% (1/90), and if your fishing power is 300, your chance is 3.33% (1/30). Of course, you have to consider that there are 6 different Biome keys, so while your chance of getting any Biome Lock Box is generally going to be between 1 and 3%, the chance of getting the specific one you want is much lower. And you also have to contend with the post-Plantera Dungeon enemies, such as Ragged Casters, Giant Cursed Skulls, and Diabolists.

This would be by far the greatest odds of getting a Biome key, but the significantly reduced control over which one you get and the added issues of fishing being often slow and constant harassment by difficult enemies doesn't make it easy at all. I think this would be balanced and fair, as well as giving people something they want.

Last edited:
One small problem with the proposed fishing summon weapon is that the Dungeon is one of the least dangerous biomes in early hardmode (since all the hardmode Dungeon enemies are post-Plantera). If the weapon is balanced to be around the same level of usefulness as the Toxikarp/Crystal Serpent (which it should), then it would be an above-average Hardmode weapon obtained from a pre-hardmode biome, which is odd to me.
I dunno, every enemy in the dungeon already scaled up in hardmode, so the most problematic mob when you are trying to fish, the dark caster deals 72 damage on expert mode, which is enough to 6 - shot you

Yeah, I mean, realistically it wouldn't change much, since you still need to beat Plantera to open it. How about this idea, then? While fishing in the Dungeon, after Plantera is beaten, you have a very small chance of reeling in a Biome Lock Box of a random type. The Biome Lock Box can be open with a Biome Key of the corresponding type, and you'll get the corresponding weapon. Additionally, however, a Biome Lock Box can be shimmered to turn it into a Biome Key, meaning that theoretically you can get both keys and weapons by fishing in the post-Plantera Dungeon.

The probability of reeling in a Biome Lock Box is exactly twice as rare as reeling in an Extremely Rare catch. In numbers, this means that your chance of reeling in a Biome Lock Box is equal to fishing power / 9000, and it's hard capped at 1/12. Practically speaking, this means that if your fishing power is 100, your chance of getting a Biome Lock Box is 1.11% (1/90), and if your fishing power is 300, your chance is 3.33% (1/30). Of course, you have to consider that there are 6 different Biome keys, so while your chance of getting any Biome Lock Box is generally going to be between 1 and 3%, the chance of getting the specific one you want is much lower. And you also have to contend with the post-Plantera Dungeon enemies, such as Ragged Casters, Giant Cursed Skulls, and Diabolists.

This would be by far the greatest odds of getting a Biome key, but the significantly reduced control over which one you get and the added issues of fishing being often slow and constant harassment by difficult enemies doesn't make it easy at all. I think this would be balanced and fair, as well as giving people something they want.
I like it, but I'd leave the keys out of it entirely, and just farm them as normal, since you can get them post-WoF the player should have a couple by the time they've fished their first lock box.

I really like this idea so much that I made something that goes with this. My idea is to make it rewarding to go to the post Plantera dungeon. You can get a extra fishing lure. Should it be a potion/accessory/or something else.

I really like this idea so much that I made something that goes with this. My idea is to make it rewarding to go to the post Plantera dungeon. You can get a extra fishing lure. Should it be a potion/accessory/or something else.
What do you mean by "extra lure"?

I've also edited the original post to include the idea for the Dungeon lock boxes. People who are new: please read about it there!

Last edited:
1695745648214.png
1695745675369.png

Don't think you can reuse the sprite of my favorite bomb-loving little guy ever and think I won't notice

Back
Top Bottom