Open dungeon chest before Skeletron

Blulectric

Official Terrarian
Is it possible to open a dungeon chest before killing Skeletron?
I'm asking because my world just happens to have an early gold key, and I happen to also have Reaver Shark (can mine dungeon tiles).
Is it possible to get close enough to a locked dungeon chest without the guardian spawning?

No, that's pretty much out of the question.

To be "in" the Dungeon (and consequently spawn a Dungeon Guardian), you need a Dungeon Wall behind you. The problem is that Dungeon Walls are indestructible (by any means) until Skeletron is defeated, and getting to a chest without passing any wall requires extremely fortuitous world gen (if that even happens naturally, which I strongly doubt). So I'm afraid you'll have to kill Skeletron first after all.

Well, i wouldn't write it off entirely, it may be possible to reach one of the chests if you were to make use of some glitches. Hoiking through the walls and rushing the chest could PROBABLY work. Of course i just thought of this on the spot and with no testing i cant say if its actually possible, so take what i say with a grain of salt.

That's what I thought. I'll probably unlock a Shadow Chest in the Underworld with the gold key then Oh... Apparenly it doesn't work on Shadow Chests. I could've swore it did :(

Last edited:
If you're really lucky (some would say unlucky), a Corruption/Crimson cave might overwrite part of the Dungeon and let you get close enough to a chest. If memory serves correctly, the Dungeon Guardian only spawns below ground level, so you might be able to find a locked Gold Chest above or at ground level.

Curious though, how did you get a Gold Key early?

If you're really lucky (some would say unlucky), a Corruption/Crimson cave might overwrite part of the Dungeon and let you get close enough to a chest. If memory serves correctly, the Dungeon Guardian only spawns below ground level, so you might be able to find a locked Gold Chest above or at ground level.

Curious though, how did you get a Gold Key early?
Presumbably dungeoun pots

Also yes, it is technically possible.

Back
Top Bottom