Please fix or nerf the Medusa enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I honestly have felt like there is a little too much crazy going about on this thread. Yes, the range needs a buff. Yes, the mob is broken. But there are some easy tricks I have learned to counter taking serious damage from these nasty beasts: 1) try not to jump/fly about too much. This prevents the insane fall damage; the alternative is to use a good hook that grapples multiple times (lunar, jungle, anti gravity also works). 2) In general, get the minion staff that has the best knockback in your possession, and use it at least once. That way you can at least stave off enemies that attack you while stoned. 3) Use a thorns potion, if you have one. 4) Any other staff that doesn't count towards minions (I think there are currently four stages that do this).

Anyways... I think that it is unfair that while you can't see it, the thing stones you, but I haven't had a problem since my first encounter by doing these things (or some), and I don't think you will have too much of a problem either.This mob just makes you think creatively, and you just have to out think the mob. As an added measures, I tried avoiding the marble biomes and I also drowned ones closer to hell in lava.

EDIT: I also understand turning away helps, forgot to mention it :dryadtongue:. The minions are meant to kill the enemies that could attack you; I get that they won't kill the medusa (well, the dragon minion thing might because the stardust minions DO attack things offscreen). Most of the things I said are countermeasures for medusas so you can find them and kill them later.

Last edited:
Was just clearing some lava out of a path in a Hellevator.
Medusa followed me from a marble biome, into hell, and while I was flying - when I couldn't even see her - petrified me, causing me to fall and take at least 500 HP worth of fall damage and drop all of my items. Had two different items that prevented fall damage. Never once had a chance to react or save myself whatsoever.
Yeah, this is :red:ing broken.

Last edited:
This mob seems to cause a ton of rage. Maybe it's because everything kills you so fast on expert mode, but I never really hated her more than the average enemy. Crawlipedes on the other hand....

Blindfold is found in hardmode, so even if it did protect against these creatures then you'd still be stuck with them throughout easy mode. And they're a lot more annoying in easy mode, where you don't have the dps or wings or several important accessories yet to take them out quickly.

I'd love to see a handmirror or a polished shield accessory found in gold chests which neutralizes their gaze. Fits mythology-wise too.
I'd also love to see this item be a part of the Ankh Shield because it's definitely in most people's interest to be protected from their cheap shots at all times.
[DOUBLEPOST=1436172913,1436172876][/DOUBLEPOST]
This mob seems to cause a ton of rage. Maybe it's because everything kills you so fast on expert mode, but I never really hated her more than the average enemy. Crawlipedes on the other hand....
Crawltipedes are nothing compared to a medusa. As long as you're standing on the ground they don't even attack you.

A lot of what I'm hearing seems to be centered around "I should be allowed to prance around caves uneffected." And. "Mythical creatures should be nerfed shells of themselves in my video game." Don't yell straw man because this is what I'm picking up from you.

I have to ask if its enough for you. Will you stop at "must be on screen" if she were to be nerfed? The OP wants them to be completely removed from the game if the first option doesn't work and I'm sure others will as well if they happen to be ignorantly flailing around a cave and get dropped into lava or smashed on the floor despite the "must be on screen" rule. It wouldn't be the first time something was broken due to golf course mentality in the game.

That's the problem though. Grounding you on Expert is a death sentence for a ranger as much as being petrified is.

A lot of what I'm hearing seems to be centered around "I should be allowed to prance around caves uneffected." And. "Mythical creatures should be nerfed shells of themselves in my video game." Don't yell straw man because this is what I'm picking up from you.

I have to ask if its enough for you. Will you stop at "must be on screen" if she were to be nerfed? The OP wants them to be completely removed from the game if the first option doesn't work and I'm sure others will as well if they happen to be ignorantly flailing around a cave and get dropped into lava or smashed on the floor despite the "must be on screen" rule. It wouldn't be the first time something was broken due to golf course mentality in the game.
I think that you should be within her line of sight for it to work. It doesn't make sense that you can instantly be killed from behind a wall, especially in earlygame where the only thing you have that might be able to hit her is a Starfury. I also think that there should at least be a short animation so that you have SOME window of time to ground yourself or react.

There is no 'caution' that protects you from a Medusa. None. You have no way to counter a Medusa without staying on the ground at all times no matter what in any cave. You can hear lava, you can see its glow, and you can just walk carefully. You can't, however, always stay on the ground for the fear that something offscreen will randomly instantly kill you. There is not even a SINGLE visual or audio cue that she is going to petrify you, and there isn't even an audio cue or a light or anything that signifies that she is even there in the first place. To really, truly avoid getting instantly murdered by her just for having the audacity to fly in a cave, you'd have to be insanely paranoid.

If you want to start crying about 'nerfing mythical creatures', please explain to me why the Eye of Cthulu alone does not obliterate the world of Terraria. And, if having a "golf course mentality" means that I enjoy balance and challenge in my game rather than random, unavoidable death, then I guess I have that?
[DOUBLEPOST=1436173177,1436173085][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's the problem though. Grounding you on Expert is a death sentence for a ranger as much as being petrified is.
Nnno... no. Wrong. Wrong, wrong wrong.

It was easy for me as a ranger. In fact, using stealth mode, it was perhaps the easiest of them. You deal insane damage by standing still and picking off enemies with a sniper, chaingun or Megashark. Most if not all of the enemies simply come at you, on the surface, from the left or right. It's easy to just look back and forth, shooting at them.

Why is Based Hie even here? Reading this thread all I see are perfectly sound arguments for nerfing one of the easiest ways to die to a coinflip in the game, especially hard mode, for tons of people. And all Based can reply with is 'BU-BUT MUH LORE'

A lot of what I'm hearing
...is you making a whole lot of noise against people who have one awful thing ruining the game for them. You're literally outnumbered a dozen to one and you're the only person arguing in favor of keeping this broken awful annoying enemy exactly the same as it is with exactly zero changes because MUH LORE and your arguments are as pitiful as they are hollow and vapid.

Frankly, like all enemies in the game, it poses little to no threat to me and I've never died to it. Making it a little easier won't affect my enjoyment of the game in the slightest (While helping other less skilled players enjoy themselves more), and fixing what is clearly a bug in its mechanics is not something any reasonable aspiring game developer would argue against. Seriously, it's just asinine.

Yeah I agree with Medusa being strong, I usually don't mind strong enemies but an enemy that petrifies you for 4 seconds should at the very least be made a bit obvious. (a shorter range)

I found myself dying more to reflected projectiles on the ground than I reasonably should without any real way of evading them without angering the crawlipede. Getting oneshotted by your own rocket isn't fun. :(

But that aside, my biggest issue with the medusa is that the game seems to define vertical line of sight way differently than I would. She can see you nearly 8+ tiles above her and only 1 or 2 tiles horizontal to her for some reason. Also seeing you through walls is silly and shouldn't be a thing; I wasn't aware that was a thing she could do until I read this thread.

I found myself dying more to reflected projectiles on the ground than I reasonably should without any real way of evading them without angering the crawlipede. Getting oneshotted by your own rocket isn't fun. :(

But that aside, my biggest issue with the medusa is that the game seems to define vertical line of sight way differently than I would. She can see you nearly 8+ tiles above her and only 1 or 2 tiles horizontal to her for some reason. Also seeing you through walls is silly and shouldn't be a thing; I wasn't aware that was a thing she could do until I read this thread.
Tip: Use rockets. Selenians can not reflect rockets.

I, for one, completely agree with some sort of Medusa nerf. Anything is better that what it currently is.

In my typo, it seems I accidentally posted the solution. :p Yeah, I meant my sniper rifle, but if they can't reflect rockets that solves all of my problems. I was finding the Solar Tower to be infinitely harder than the rest of the entire Lunar Event (Moon Lord included), so I greatly appreciate that.

I've not read every post in this thread thoroughly, but I doubt many would expect to 'prance around caves' unaffected.
There's only one problem with this enemy and that's her cheapshot where she stones you when she's offscreen.
You can't prepare for this and it comes at the worst of times. You could make a long fall or fall into lava or fall right into a group of enemies which you were busy killing while hanging from the ceiling. This all happened to me.
It doesn't help that contrary to what others say, she doesn't only spawn in her marble biome, she spawns around it as well. So they can really surprise the crap out of you.

That's the only thing that needs fixing, the range of her spell. The player needs to actually see her in order to be stoned. Shorter range and direct line of sight. Seems fair to me.

In my typo, it seems I accidentally posted the solution. :p Yeah, I meant my sniper rifle, but if they can't reflect rockets that solves all of my problems. I was finding the Solar Tower to be infinitely harder than the rest of the entire Lunar Event (Moon Lord included), so I greatly appreciate that.
They also can't reflect arrows shot by the Daedalus Stormbow either. I'm not even sure if they can reflect arrows at all, or if it's just bullets and vampire knives and that kind of thing. Maybe. But they most certainly cannot reflect rockets.

See, now you've made me need to test all sorts of things against them like Scourge of the Corruptor eaters, hallow stars, terra beams and such.

If you simplify it down to such a level, of course it's going to sound stupid.
Your argument, too, is centered around "Don't fix the broken enemy because lore is all that matters and I'm an elitist."

Simply put, Medusas need to require line of sight to be able to petrify you.

How the hell does petrification work when you aren't even looking in her direction anyways? :|

It doesn't work if you don't look in her direction, as been stated. :p
I always use holes to break LoS when there is one, I've never been stoned when I do that unless she's quick enough to get to the hole.

I dropped the mic and went off to make wreckfast after I made that post but I will answer a few of your statements.

1. Why is Hie even here?
That's a really good question, although a very complicated one. Why are any of us here?
I see a group of brave knights sitting on the wrong loading dock. They should be on the suggestions loading dock. So I wonder why they are there.

2. No caution protects you from medusa.
I mention earlier that theoretically you have a point and I wouldn't protest a change to make her have to be on the screen first. But I also questioned whether this would actually make it better for people or will they make another nerf request. I foresee the masses demanding complete removal.

3. Crying.
The word "crying" when used this way is much like the word "butthurt". It's a sign of projection. These words give an otherwise angry user a moment of comforting cooldown in the false reality they have set up for their target.

4. You can't prepare for this.
You can, actually, by thinking twice about jumping off that cliff or dawdling over a pit of lava. Even if they make medusa have line of sight you are still going to have to sit there and wait for a chance to attack, so you are waiting anyway.

If you simplify it down to such a level, of course it's going to sound stupid.
Your argument, too, is centered around "Don't fix the broken enemy because lore is all that matters and I'm an elitist."

That could very well be the case though.

Good day, sirs. I'm sure I have been reported a dozen times already because of my opinions.

Yes, I should be allowed to prance around in caves unscathed when I am decked out in full Luminite and strip mining a new world for stone. An endgame player is a veritable god and having all of your methods of fall damage immunity being entirely stripped from you from an enemy from off screen and killing you is a little more than just "ha ha, that wacky Terraria! Thanks, Redigit! I really needed that death!" It's not fun. It's frustrating.

I am not angry at getting paralyzed by these enemies when I'm actively fighting them. I am not angry that an enemy is capable of killing me. I enjoy being punished in fair, challenging ways. I just hate being killed because a Medusa spawned out of my render range, stunned me, and caused me to die to fall damage/lava/the enemy I was fighting which was decidedly not in a marble biome.

Your posts on most difficulty matters seem to just boil down to "get good" and last I checked, Terraria is not [insert game that is hyped purely on its difficulty here].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom