PC [Question] Is Completing the Bestiary improbable?

L0ST5ILVER

Official Terrarian
Hey. Just a quick question, from what I understand the bestiary requires 50 of a certain enemy to be defeated in order to display its fill stats in the Bestiary. Does this include absurdly rare/difficult enemies like Nymphs, Dungeon Guardian, Boss Mimics, Rune Wizards etc? Because if so then it makes a good chunk of the bestiary completely redundant.

Regards.

Certain things require less than 50 to unlock their full entry; iirc, the Dungeon Guardian requires defeating Skeletron for its full entry, as that kinda removes them from the world.

its very much possible
That's not what I asked. I didn't ask if it was impossible.
Certain things require less than 50 to unlock their full entry; iirc, the Dungeon Guardian requires defeating Skeletron for its full entry, as that kinda removes them from the world.
What about things like the Rune Wizard/Jim Doctor Bones, Nymphs, Mothron etc. Is there a list of how many kills you need to get on certain enemies?

What about things like the Rune Wizard/Jim Doctor Bones, Nymphs, Mothron etc. Is there a list of how many kills you need to get on certain enemies?
As per the official wiki:
  • For an enemy, kills of that enemy are counted (kills made before the 1.4.0.1 update will not count). Enemies with multiple variants (such as Zombies) have a separate tracker for each variant (50 Arrow Zombie kills, 50 Gel Zombie kills, etc.).
  • For a boss, only one kill is required to display all information.
  • For a critter, the counter advances based on how many of that critter type the player came into close proximity with.
  • For a town NPC, the number of times the player opened the dialogue window of that NPC is counted.
So, based on that, none of your examples are classed as bosses so yes, each one should take 50 kills, and yes, that's a lot of hunting rare spawns.

As per the official wiki:
  • For an enemy, kills of that enemy are counted (kills made before the 1.4.0.1 update will not count). Enemies with multiple variants (such as Zombies) have a separate tracker for each variant (50 Arrow Zombie kills, 50 Gel Zombie kills, etc.).
  • For a boss, only one kill is required to display all information.
  • For a critter, the counter advances based on how many of that critter type the player came into close proximity with.
  • For a town NPC, the number of times the player opened the dialogue window of that NPC is counted.
So, based on that, none of your examples are classed as bosses so yes, each one should take 50 kills, and yes, that's a lot of hunting rare spawns.
Jesus, and I thought completing the Pokédex was near impossible, I think this just topped that.
It sort of makes parts of the bestiary totally pointless though, right? Because if you wanted to know how much damage a Nymph did for example, who on earth would care to kill that many instead of just consulting the wiki?
I feel like the bestiary along with master mode were both really rushed in this update :/

regardless, thanks for the reply.

Jesus, and I thought completing the Pokédex was near impossible, I think this just topped that.
It sort of makes parts of the bestiary totally pointless though, right? Because if you wanted to know how much damage a Nymph did for example, who on earth would care to kill that many instead of just consulting the wiki?
I feel like the bestiary along with master mode were both really rushed in this update :/

regardless, thanks for the reply.

Eh, completion is tied to rewards from the Zoologist at up to 70% for the most part (the universal pylon is at 100%, and the only thing it looks like after 70%)

Eh, completion is tied to rewards from the Zoologist at up to 70% for the most part (the universal pylon is at 100%, and the only thing it looks like after 70%)
I think that's not that they meant, but - and I agree on that part of the bestiary is odd - that you would need to kill 50 nymphs (which is highly unlikely) to get all the data in their entry. like attack, defense, drops, etc.
You only need to kill one, for the bestiary to register it, and that counts toward the zoologist's items, not whether you completed said monster's entry with getting all the data.

So, you don't need to hunt 50 of them them to get 100% completed bestiary, as far as entries (and so, rewards) concerned. but you do need it, if you want the data. but it makes no sense with rare enemies. because it's highly unlikely anyone would hunt 50 nymphs in a playthrough. these extremely rare enemies would better work the same as boss entries which get filled out completely, once said boss is defeated in the world once.

I think that's not that they meant, but - and I agree on that part of the bestiary is odd - that you would need to kill 50 nymphs (which is highly unlikely) to get all the data in their entry. like attack, defense, drops, etc.
You only need to kill one, for the bestiary to register it, and that counts toward the zoologist's items, not whether you completed said monster's entry with getting all the data.

So, you don't need to hunt 50 of them them to get 100% completed bestiary, as far as entries (and so, rewards) concerned. but you do need it, if you want the data. but it makes no sense with rare enemies. because it's highly unlikely anyone would hunt 50 nymphs in a playthrough. these extremely rare enemies would better work the same as boss entries which get filled out completely, once said boss is defeated in the world once.
Exactly. It wouldn't have been hard either I think, unless the amount is hard coded (which wouldn't make sense), then surely it's just changing a default value for certain enemies.

Back
Top Bottom