Something wrong with fishing

snex00

Terrarian
Haven't played the game since 2015, decided to get back into it. I have a character and world already from back then, and I had some decent fishing setups. However, now, I can't seem to ever catch anything. My line will sit in the water for 10 minutes and *maybe* I'll catch a bass, if I'm lucky. I'm using Fisher of Souls and Enchanted Nightcrawlers, so it shouldn't take that long. Please help, I don't want to create a new world/character from scratch.

Might be a little lean, but if you were on a new moon with clear skies, it could happen.

Personally anymore I never fish before I've made some fishing potions. I've tried early fishing with your setup, and it was a waste of time. Maybe not quite that bad, but I could have runs of a minute or two without a bite, and that was in the rain, and if it wasn't full moon, it was the day before.

It might be that your lake is too small. Overall with a Fisher of Souls and Enchanted Nightcrawler it shouldn't take 10 mins to catch 1 bass. If you fish up junk items such as seaweed or tin cans, it is a sign your lake is too small and it causes your fishing power to be reduced as a result. The lower your fishing power, the longer the interval it will take between fish catches.

Generally even with a reinforced fishing pole (crafted from Iron or Lead) I can get a few wooden crates and other fish within 4-6 mins with apprentice bait or worms if my lake is large enough to not cause junk items to be fished.

Would suggest either finding a larger fishing lake or creating one by using a bucket of water in an area of your choosing. As you do more quests from the Angler, you can also get accessories that will tell you what your fishing power is along with if your lake is small enough to reduce fishing power.

Haven't played the game since 2015, decided to get back into it. I have a character and world already from back then, and I had some decent fishing setups. However, now, I can't seem to ever catch anything. My line will sit in the water for 10 minutes and *maybe* I'll catch a bass, if I'm lucky. I'm using Fisher of Souls and Enchanted Nightcrawlers, so it shouldn't take that long. Please help, I don't want to create a new world/character from scratch.
It's like @Aurora3500 said, maybe you need a correct body of liquid, the liquid tiles should be 300 at least without any blocks touching the top of them.
More details in this link:

Last edited:
you can also get accessories that will tell you what your fishing power is along with if your lake is small enough to reduce fishing power.
I had never noticed that. Are you saying if I have the FIsherman's Guide equipped, and I cast into a smaller lake, it adjusts the fishing power displayed? Or are you talking about a different accessory?

I had never noticed that. Are you saying if I have the FIsherman's Guide equipped, and I cast into a smaller lake, it adjusts the fishing power displayed? Or are you talking about a different accessory?
This item shows the current fishing power, it is natural to show this in every situation, although I have not seen it in small lakes, maybe it will show negative number if the fishing power is very little, who knows.

It is as Guest says with the Fisherman's Pocket Guide (and any of it's tinkered items), if your lake is smaller than the standard size (I don't have the exact numbers on how big a lake has to be to avoid junk items) the fishing power will be adjusted. It will always be adjusted to account for small lake size along with fishing power potions and Chum cast into the lake when you cast out your fishing rod.

Oh, y'know what it probably is? I only fish in lakes I know are plenty big. Whatever the fishing power was, it did not diminish when I cast. But I'm guessing if you cast into a smaller lake, the number does diminish?

Another thing that would have been useful earlier in the game. By the time I get the Fisherman's Pocket Guide, I already have all the lakes I need found/made. A little earlier in the game, it could have been used to decide whether to enlarge the lake instead of counting squares.

Oh, y'know what it probably is? I only fish in lakes I know are plenty big. Whatever the fishing power was, it did not diminish when I cast. But I'm guessing if you cast into a smaller lake, the number does diminish?

Another thing that would have been useful earlier in the game. By the time I get the Fisherman's Pocket Guide, I already have all the lakes I need found/made. A little earlier in the game, it could have been used to decide whether to enlarge the lake instead of counting squares.
The more a lake has less than 300 liquid tiles as I said before, the more it will decrease the fishing power, a lake with 300 liquid tiles or more does not decrease the fishing power, when building a lake it is easy to count the tiles, it is just use the rule that now in 1.4 comes in the character since the beginning, multiplying the width by the height you have the total tile space of a square shaped lake, with experience you end up knowing if a new lake you found has 300 tiles or not, even without counting.

When I "build" a lake, I almost always do it with bombs, merging a couple three smaller lakes. When in doubt, I use the ruler to make sure it's enough. But I rarely need to do that. If anything, it's 2-3x as big as it needs to be. Particularly jungle lakes.

Back
Top Bottom