Biomes & Nature [Sprites] Biome-colored lava

Reading back over the comments I realized that a lot of people say Terraria can't handle more liquids.
That is absolutely true.

What Terraria can handle, however, is texture packs, which have been made before. This is basically just a reskin, and they can still keep the lava physics, no new liquid needed.

Reading back over the comments I realized that a lot of people say Terraria can't handle more liquids.
That is absolutely true.

What Terraria can handle, however, is texture packs, which have been made before. This is basically just a reskin, and they can still keep the lava physics, no new liquid needed.
New effects were also added.

New effects were also added.

Yes, but two things
1. new effects won't be nearly as hard to code as new physics. If you can easily make an enemies hit have a one fourth chance to slow you, you can make a liquid do the same thing. The only hard thing to code would be to make it fall different, or react with other blocks and liquids differently.

2. We don't necessarily need the effects, I just want the colored lavas. :D

I have a question for all of this discussion of only four liquids being supported in the game. Where has this been stated, presumably said/confirmed by the devs, and is it current information? It seems kind of silly that it's impossible to add a 5th liquid to the game without completely changing the engine, especially with better liquid physics being added in 1.3.
The way I understand it, the "liquid limit" isn't a hard limit that will cause the game to spontaneously implode if anyone ever codes a 5th liquid. I think it's more of a situation that if more than four liquids start interacting with each other then the liquid engine becomes unstable. I know that if you have water, honey, and lava all flowing and coming in to contact with each other things get a little wonky sometimes.

I like, but I'd see a bit less saturation in the texture to make them redder. So, a new player wouldn't say: "Hey, what is this new cyan liqui... OH :red: IT'S LAVA HELP *dies*"
I'm not too worried about safety here because: 1. Lava is the only glowing liquid (thus far) and 2. In order to encounter most of the alt lavas, you would have to manually move it to that biome or you would have to be in Hardmode, at which point you should have the health (and likely protective accessories) to survive. The only exception would be the deep Underground Jungle. But that place is late Pre-Hardmode and suppose to be a challenge for players.

I like this suggestion, and I don't see why people keep saying you need new liquids for those colors to make sense.
You CAN get different debuffs from the same liquid, according to the biome you're in. The game already has a way of telling what biome you're in, so it can inflict debuffs according to that.
If you're in a Crimson biome and you enter the liquid with lava's ID, you can program the game to inflict you with ichor (only if both conditions are met).
Same for other biomes.
The only ones that shouldn't get the On Fire! debuffs are Crimson and Corruption, the latter needing Cursed Flames.

I like it so full support, but what about the dungeon and the meteor biome?
both of those biomes(and the mushroom) are minor biomes. While I do not disagree that perhaps they need review, being a minor biome warrants something of a 'consider it later' option.

The dungeon in particular normally does not have liquids residing in it. Nor is it possible to create an artificial dungeon biome, so all things considered it would be dealt with last if at all.

Ok just checking. Usually I see lava below the dungeon, but then again, I play mobile. Small world size = weird height generations.

According to @Deceitful Echo, the game can have more than four liquids. He has even added two more, and it works fine.
Now about the suggestion, you get my total support. Except maybe make the sprites more than recolors, like @Vikri said.
well not really two liquids , since they dont make diffrent blocks on contact which i guess is what makes the game unstable. so this suggestion is totally feasible.
Edit: im talking aboiut this suggestion not what deceitful echo did :p idk about that

Another idea: lava, whatever the variation, except ice lava, regularly pop embers, just like in Minecraft. So, players will be less confused.

Also, how about the steampunker selling lava fountains (work like water ones) after a pumpking/DF/plantera (choose) is deafeated?
They already do in vanilla terraria. They have small dust particles that pop up every so often. Something I think will be very hard to change in tAPI, but who knows. Witch doctor should sell them as they are pretty magical right? Or we can just upgrade them from the normal fountains.
Hmm... maybe the base fountain doesn't, but you can upgrade it with a moderate cost (I suggest 2 Hallowed Bars) to cause it to also change the effect.

Oh, and the obsidian skin buff should affect every lavas, and negate their debuffs.

And what about a hell lava, which would be brighter (hotter) and therefore 50% more damaging?
If you are immune to lava, you should be immune to the infliction of the new buffs. Haven't tested though so maybe you could have a look in game with the tAPIfile I linked earlier and test it out for me :)
Um, that would be far too difficult to code. The fountains don't change your biome.
Nope, shouldn't be too hard to code, just need to check if you are close to the fountains and then change the lava that way. I'm just having some problems with the checking of the tile. Had it working at one stage but only if you were directly on top of the fountain. Should have kept that piece and then expanded range, I just thought it was plain wrong :/
Hallow lava should be a brilliant white or something, Cyan doesn't make much sense.
Cyan makes perfect sense. Underground hallow is a mix of white, pink and blue (crystals) and could use some more of hte latter. Also sulfur lava IRL.
I like this suggestion, and I don't see why people keep saying you need new liquids for those colors to make sense.
You CAN get different debuffs from the same liquid, according to the biome you're in. The game already has a way of telling what biome you're in, so it can inflict debuffs according to that.
If you're in a Crimson biome and you enter the liquid with lava's ID, you can program the game to inflict you with ichor (only if both conditions are met).
Same for other biomes.
The only ones that shouldn't get the On Fire! debuffs are Crimson and Corruption, the latter needing Cursed Flames.
Not sure if you realise this but it has already been done in tAPI by me, wildly unfinished, however it is working.

i liek it

Tl5mLjs.png

#copied@Swordbomb'ssupportbadgebcuzimlazy
@Swordbomb

Being totally honest, I don't think this idea is very good. Like many people said it would have to be new liquids. And new liquids would be pretty strange on the biome borders. Also colored lava makes no sense, as lava is just melted stone. But thats not very major.

Biome-coloured lava is unnecessary because lava is supposed to be red/orange. Changing the lava colour is something that does not need doing. The effects are just a silly thing used to make suggestion seem more in depth than they actually are and don't really add much.

To me, this suggestion is like getting a random biome and making a liquid for it, which I do not directly support.

However this is just my opinion.

Being totally honest, I don't think this idea is very good. Like many people said it would have to be new liquids.
Making this right now and having some trouble with changing the colour of the lighting on the lava. If anyone more proficient could chime in on this it would be pretty helpful. .tapi file is included if anyone wants to look through and insult my methods :) Did this pretty quick so I have only done the cursed inferno and ichor and it seems to work pretty well. Also managed to remove the on fire debuff from the 'custom' lava. (Also I have yet to change lava fall colours)

Also it should be pretty obvious that I like this idea! Awesome suggestion Snicker.

EDIT: Some screens for you all.

vL393SN.png

IrnxjWz.png

As you can see it looks pretty nice and really fitting. These screens are taken in game!
@jordan already showed us this is possible without making new liquids

Being totally honest, I don't think this idea is very good. Like many people said it would have to be new liquids. And new liquids would be pretty strange on the biome borders. Also colored lava makes no sense, as lava is just melted stone. But thats not very major.

Biome-coloured lava is unnecessary because lava is supposed to be red/orange. Changing the lava colour is something that does not need doing. The effects are just a silly thing used to make suggestion seem more in depth than they actually are and don't really add much.

To me, this suggestion is like getting a random biome and making a liquid for it, which I do not directly support.

However this is just my opinion.
I believe I mentioned somewhere about sulfur lava(Cyan). Others exist too. If you heat certain metals or minerals they can become any colour you imagine. Hell, there are some that become molten at room temperature.

I could go into cryo volcanism too on other worlds.

It'd just be one liquid. You could see cursed green lava as molten ebonstone, ichor yellow lava as molten crimstone, etc. Normal orange lava is normal molten stone.

I believe I mentioned somewhere about sulfur lava(Cyan). Others exist too. If you heat certain metals or minerals they can become any colour you imagine. Hell, there are some that become molten at room temperature.

I could go into cryo volcanism too on other worlds.
Very cool. The cyan lava reminds me of sulfur magma.
Jav80190f.jpg

Yes people, that is burn your face off lava. Not some new age gaming tower.
You did, and you showed an image of it too.

I just don't want people to keep having the same arguments as to why it's bad "This can't be added because it's a new liquid" or "this isn't realistic because lava is red"

Back
Top Bottom