NPCs & Enemies Terraria NPCs should have a set name for a World.

Howdy Bucko

Terrarian
This new Pylon announcement is amazing, and actually gives us a use to build outside the main biome, and it really fleshes out towns, but I still feel like it's missing something. We all know the NPCs dearly, and love their designs, but we never remember their names, because there is no point in doing so. I want to have a guide named Andrew, and remember him as Andrew. When booting up a world, I believe every NPC should be given a set name and it stays that way whether they die, leave, or whatever. Same goes for temporary NPCs such as the Traveling Merchant, Skeleton Merchant, and Santa Claus. It would give me a good reason to remember them, maybe make special builds for them, and make playing the game a better experience.

Not that this actually helps in this regard, but I've just used TEdit to maintain consistency (other than the guide, who went from "Joe" to "Not Joe")

Oh no! It would ruin one of the Guide's speech.

"I wonder why my predecessor spontaneously burst into flames. Hopefully it doesn't happen to me..."

Not that this actually helps in this regard, but I've just used TEdit to maintain consistency (other than the guide, who went from "Joe" to "Not Joe")
Yeah, I usually create a sign as soon as an NPC spawns with their original name, and then go in with TEdit to change it back if they happen to die. In my current Master playthrough the Goblin only kept his original name for about 5 seconds after I freed him until something murdered him. :D

Well, other than the Guide (and Clothier if you want to re-fight Skeletron), keeping the same name just means building your NPC housing out of harms way. In a way, the fact you want them to stay the same person is incentive to keep them alive, right?
Except the Traveller though, I do agree that he should keep the same name if he simply leaves for the night.

Well, other than the Guide (and Clothier if you want to re-fight Skeletron), keeping the same name just means building your NPC housing out of harms way. In a way, the fact you want them to stay the same person is incentive to keep them alive, right?
Except the Traveller though, I do agree that he should keep the same name if he simply leaves for the night.
Skeleton Merchant?

Well how are you supposed to get James the clothier then? With Npc names in specific worlds, how are you supposed to get that?

Skeleton Merchant?
I was being lazy and didn't mention both. I was hoping people would infer that I'd want a consistant Skeleton Merchant too. Santa does not count, as he is always Santa.

Edit:
Well how are you supposed to get James the clothier then? With Npc names in specific worlds, how are you supposed to get that?
I think they should still rename on death, I wasn't supporting 1 permanent name per world.

Back
Top Bottom