OOC The Arena In Between Worlds

alright

Well, obviously magic caused by armor or weapons is obsolete, since those will be removed from your person and taken to a vault.

For innate magic, im thinking of either having the fact you’re inbetween dimensions really dampen its effects, or straight up make magic worthless except for the ring. The whole point of the arena is to test the combat skills of those who are forced to be challengers, it’s entertaining for the Arena Lord since by possessing the ring, they’re trapped there until death.

If a person just… let’s say.. sits back and throws fireballs at anything and everything that moves, how balanced would that be? This is a gladiator arena type thing, so I’m probably gonna make it primarily melee combat, maybe with some javelins and other single use ranged weapons.

This is still being developed, idk.
I think making magic weakened could work, especially considering that the magic Ruby has is literally just the EoL attack set, and she really only uses the Ethereal Lance attack, so the other attacks could have been weakened to the point of being essentially useless.

I'm assuming the "No talking unless told to or alone" rule applies to IC. (and if that is so, I could have a character get punished if I wanted them to)

but regardless, I'm actually interested and I will join once I choose who to use. (I'm assuming background is just personality and backstory, correct me if it isn't)

I'll probably get to work on descriptions later, but first I need to know if size and backstory are required, because for size, I literally can't do that, and for backstory, if I have to do that then it'd be 2047 by the time I'm done. If they're optional, please, put that in the template.

I might join this. It seems interesting enough, but I’ll need to see what power levels characters are before I choose one of my few non-magic (Or at least mostly not magic) users.

This is giving me Thor: Ragnarok vibes and I like it
I heaped so many ideas together to get this that I have no idea what the original inspiration was, but that was definitely one of em.
I might join this. It seems interesting enough, but I’ll need to see what power levels characters are before I choose one of my few non-magic (Or at least mostly not magic) users.
If you have characters that you plan to rely on with magic, don’t. It’s obsolete to the point where magic would be weaker than most melee weapons in most cases. One rule I won’t be folding on is using magic as a ranged weapon whatsoever unless it’s to boost an existing ranged weapon.

Power gradient is gonna be busted. It’ll be unfair no matter who you choose, just because that’s how it works. Almost anyone can beat stone constructs, but eventually taking on a gladiator, Arch Guardian, or even the Arena Lord is a different story. For those, you’ll need more luck and brain than any weaponry.

I'll probably get to work on descriptions later, but first I need to know if size and backstory are required, because for size, I literally can't do that, and for backstory, if I have to do that then it'd be 2047 by the time I'm done. If they're optional, please, put that in the template.
Backstory isn’t required, but size is, The arena lord has to rank the people who come through the portal to give them worthy opponents, so that they’re entertained. For example, what if a giant was facing a bunch of little stone soldiers? That would be rather… boring… to watch. For size I guess it’s more about advantage, I hope you get where I’m going with this.

I guess hostility is another factor that’s required now that I think about it.

I'm assuming the "No talking unless told to or alone" rule applies to IC. (and if that is so, I could have a character get punished if I wanted them to)

but regardless, I'm actually interested and I will join once I choose who to use. (I'm assuming background is just personality and backstory, correct me if it isn't)
Yep, the no talking is your generic movie prisoner scene.

Background is primarily important info that didn’t fit in the other categories, and the story of the character. So basically yes.

Any other questions I missed?

Any other questions I missed?
I'm not sure, but I do have a few new ones.

Is this more for fantasy type characters, or more realistic ones, and from what time period? Medieval, renaissance, WW1, WW2, cold war, modern, sci-fi, etc.?
Or are characters from anywhere accepted?

I'm not sure, but I do have a few new ones.

Is this more for fantasy type characters, or more realistic ones, and from what time period? Medieval, renaissance, WW1, WW2, cold war, modern, sci-fi, etc.?
Or are characters from anywhere accepted?
yes

Well, it doesn’t matter much. All timeframes and just near all characters in general are accepted timeframe wise.

For example, the arena lord as of the start of the RP is very futuristic, being a machine, and the Arch Guardian is from a much earlier time, being more medieval time-frame-ish

yes

Well, it doesn’t matter much. All timeframes and just near all characters in general are accepted timeframe wise.

For example, the arena lord as of the start of the RP is very futuristic, being a machine, and the Arch Guardian is from a much earlier time, being more medieval time-frame-ish
And how exactly do people end up at the arena in the first place?

And how exactly do people end up at the arena in the first place?
working on that right now

Are you familiar with the concept of void reavers from risk of rain 2? I may end up literally just nabbing them for plot or coming up with my own version of them. Anyways, it’s their purpose only that really matters.

working on that right now

Are you familiar with the concept of void reavers from risk of rain 2? I may end up literally just nabbing them for plot or coming up with my own version of them. Anyways, it’s their purpose only that really matters.
Nope, not really.
I don't know much about Risk of Rain and its sequel, although I am interested in the game.

Nope, not really.
I don't know much about Risk of Rain and its sequel, although I am interested in the game.
ah ok, it’s a good game, I do recommend.

Anyways, the purpose of the reavers is to detain beings who’ve become too powerful to exist anymore, they’re a cosmic balancer. They create a portal around themselves, and drag you with them to an unknown location, which in game kills you, but lore wise puts you in a void cell in the deep abyss of the world

ah ok, it’s a good game, I do recommend.

Anyways, the purpose of the reavers is to detain beings who’ve become too powerful to exist anymore, they’re a cosmic balancer. They create a portal around themselves, and drag you with them to an unknown location, which in game kills you, but lore wise puts you in a void cell in the deep abyss of the world
All right.

If you go with that, that would narrow down all of my options to only one character that would fit the role of being powerful enough for that to happen, and doesn't use magic.

In some ways I'm wondering if you should allow the option of some of the people who work for the arena lord to have more options, as right now that seems kind of limiting.

All right.

If you go with that, that would narrow down all of my options to only one character that would fit the role of being powerful enough for that to happen, and doesn't use magic.
it’s not a perfect system though really… if your shoot at it and it gets pissed at you, for example, you may be detained, or if you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sorry, forgot to mention that.
In some ways I'm wondering if you should allow the option of some of the people who work for the arena lord to have more options, as right now that seems kind of limiting.
I’m open to ideas. What sort of roles do you envision?

it’s not a perfect system though really… if your shoot at it and it gets pissed at you, for example, you may be detained, or if you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sorry, forgot to mention that
Ah, all right, that does allow for a few more options then.
And how easily could they be killed?

I’m open to ideas. What sort of roles do you envision?
Well, I'm thinking that perhaps an option for bringing magic characters into this without having it be a problem, is possibly some kind of item that drains or prevents the use of magic.
For example, it could be some kind of bracelet or anklet that directs any magic that's trying to be using by someone into the artifact, and instead sends the magic somewhere else, such as to the ring of the arena lord.

Also, unless the arena is based around a system where if you defeat absolutely everyone working for the arena lord you can fight him directly in the arena, then I'd assume that there might be some kind of extra guard staff that doesn't fight in the arena and is solely focused on ensuring that the fighters don't revolt. They could even be the same people that bring new challengers to the arena as well.

Ah, all right, that does allow for a few more options then.
And how easily could they be killed?
eh… I mean lore wise, about all you could do is run.

If one dies by some absurd chance, it creates a huge portal to the void and sucks anything nearby with it as it dies, so cooperating with it is near necessity

Not to mention another will just beam in from somewhere else, you can’t hope to kill them if they want something.

I plan to use them as like, a votekick system if someone is braking a power gradient. We vote in the OOC to remove the character and then a reaver appears and whoosh, they’re gone forever. They’d also be how you get here of course. I may also use them as a very high level challenger if an enemy is, say, a giant, or just innately very powerful enemy. Cause the reavers would tend to lean towards the lord even though he has no control over them.

Well, I'm thinking that perhaps an option for bringing magic characters into this without having it be a problem, is possibly some kind of item that drains or prevents the use of magic.
For example, it could be some kind of bracelet or anklet that directs any magic that's trying to be using by someone into the artifact, and instead sends the magic somewhere else, such as to the ring of the arena lord.
Maybe something to suppress/absorb magic would work, but then there’d be people who try and creatively find a way around it and gain access to way more power, also, if the arena lord could basically absorb their magic with the ring, wouldn’t that make the arena lord have an even larger power gap over the challengers?
Also, unless the arena is based around a system where if you defeat absolutely everyone working for the arena lord you can fight him directly in the arena, then I'd assume that there might be some kind of extra guard staff that doesn't fight in the arena and is solely focused on ensuring that the fighters don't revolt. They could even be the same people that bring new challengers to the arena as well.
still working that out, but I think how it’ll work is the challenger faces one enemy or group of enemies for every tier, and there may be.. I don’t know.. 7 tiers? A few easy ones most will pass, then the lord’s actual fighters. The weaker enemies would be NPC type things, we could nominate some people to control the different kinds of basic enemies that the ring can spawn. Once we reach gladiators, it’s actual people.

All right.

Really, most of my suggestions kind of depend on how exactly you want the arena to be run.
If it's just some pocket dimension where powerful people get dropped on their own without any weapons or magic, just to fight in an arena to kill each other, than that's one thing.
Or it could be that the arena lord has some power over other things as well.

All right.

Really, most of my suggestions kind of depend on how exactly you want the arena to be run.
If it's just some pocket dimension where powerful people get dropped on their own without any weapons or magic, just to fight in an arena to kill each other, than that's one thing.
Somewhat, they aren’t all super powerful people, some are mistakenly taken, not to mention most of them are rather powerless upon entry nonetheless.
Or it could be that the arena lord has some power over other things as well.
Still working on the extensiveness of the lord’s abilities with the ring

Time to do more editing

Uuuuuuuugggghhhhh

Back
Top Bottom