• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Cross-Platform The Kirby Thread

Orithan

Eye of Cthulhu
I would recommend these games the most, based on what I've played:

Kirby's Adventure in Dreamland (NES, on 3DS and Wii U EShop). It's a perfect introduction into the main series games, simple and easy to learn to play on. While it feels a bit bland, especially if you have played the later main series games first, and has a number of kinks and odd design choices, it is totally worth playing to learn about the debut of Kirby's Copy ability and how the game was designed around it's inclusion.
Kirby Super Star/ Kirby's Fun Pak (SNES, is on Wii U EShop). My personal favourite, it is a series of several smaller games packaged together into one big game. While it has a few flaws, like most of the games being very short and that the majority of the bosses were pretty dull, each game was richly packed with content and the fact that almost every game played very differently from each other. I would recommend going for it's DS graphical update/port, Kirby Super Star Ultra, if you can get your hands on a cart for it because it adds several more challenging and fun game modes (including the infamous True Arena) after you complete all of the ones present in the original game.
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64, is on Wii U EShop). Another great game and was the first game where Kirby appeared in 3D (though the game was 2.5D, as the stages were still sidescrolling like in the previous titles), this was the first game where former enemies; most notably King Dedede (who you actually play as in some segments of a few levels), aids Kirby on his quest and this game completely changed up the Copy System. Instead of having a few elaborate abilities with actual movesets like in previous games, this game changed the copy abilities into a set of a few basic elemental abilities with a basic attack; which you can combine together to produce a multitude of new abilities to fight your foes with. The main flaws with this game were that it ran at a poor FPS, it feels like there is slight input lag on Kirby's actions, the game spoonfeeding you all the information needed to destroy almost every obstacle that hides a crystal and the very few actual secrets the game has (aka finding out how to get a select few of the crystals, all of which are needed to get to the true final boss) were either unnecessarily cryptic or needed you to play the previous game; Kirby's Adventure 3, to find out on your own. These issues didn't affect my enjoyment very much (save the guide-dang-it involved in getting a couple of the crystals), but I can see how it (and the Copy system) would affect the enjoyment of other players.

Last edited:
I would recommend these games the most, based on what I've played:

Kirby's Adventure in Dreamland (NES, on 3DS and Wii U EShop). It's a perfect introduction into the main series games, simple and easy to learn to play on. While it feels a bit bland, especially if you have played the later main series games first, and has a number of kinks and odd design choices, it is totally worth playing to learn about the debut of Kirby's Copy ability and how the game was designed around it's inclusion.
Kirby Super Star/ Kirby's Fun Pak (SNES, is on Wii U EShop). My personal favourite, it is a series of several smaller games packaged together into one big game. While it has a few flaws, like most of the games being very short and that the majority of the bosses were pretty dull, each game was richly packed with content and the fact that almost every game played very differently from each other. I would recommend going for it's DS graphical update/port, Kirby Super Star Ultra, if you can get your hands on a cart for it because it adds several more challenging and fun game modes (including the infamous True Arena) after you complete all of the ones present in the original game.
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64, is on Wii U EShop). Another great game and was the first game where Kirby appeared in 3D (though the game was 2.5D, as the stages were still sidescrolling like in the previous titles), this was the first game where former enemies; most notably King Dedede (who you actually play as in some segments of a few levels), aids Kirby on his quest and this game completely changed up the Copy System. Instead of having a few elaborate abilities with actual movesets like in previous games, this game changed the copy abilities into a set of a few basic elemental abilities with a basic attack; which you can combine together to produce a multitude of new abilities to fight your foes with. The main flaws with this game were that it ran at a poor FPS, it feels like there is slight input lag on Kirby's actions, the game spoonfeeding you all the information needed to destroy almost every obstacle that hides a crystal and the very few actual secrets the game has (aka finding out how to get a select few of the crystals, all of which are needed to get to the true final boss) were either unnecessarily cryptic or needed you to play the previous game; Kirby's Adventure 3, to find out on your own. These issues didn't affect my enjoyment very much (save the guide-dang-it involved in getting a couple of the crystals), but I can see how it (and the Copy system) would affect the enjoyment of other players.
I feel as if all three of the Dark Matter Saga games enjoyment are slightly ruined for me because of the need to collect all of the Rainbow Shards/Heart Stars/Crystal Shards.

Devintrainer

Skeletron
I have played Adventure, Super Star (Ultra), Dream Land 3, 64, Air Ride, Canvas Curse, Squeak Squad, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack, Return to Dream Land, Rainbow Curse, and Planet Robobot. Elline and Susie are the cutest. :dryadsmile:

Dragonpriest4

Skeletron Prime
I've always wanted to try that game... I heard that the inspiration for smash run came from the city trail mode in there, and I love smash run!
Yea City Trial is really fun to play. Especially with friends. There are also two other modes but to be honest City Trial is the best.

Akireli

Official Terrarian
I've a lot of Kirby in my life. I've played Kirby's adventure, Dreamland 3, Crystal shards, Super Star Ultra, Squeak squad, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack, RTDL, Dream collection, Triple Deluxe, and Planet Robobot. I also own Air Ride, but never had a chance to play it.

GoldenArrow

Skeletron
I hope the Kirby game on Nintendo Switch is gonna be good , I have a feeling this one might be a fully 3D one . Which of the following would you prefer to see ? :
  • A Kirby turn-based RPG
  • A Remake of an old Kirby game ( for example , Kirby 64 )
  • A Sequel to an old Kirby game ( for example , Kirby Air Ride 2 )
  • A New Kirby game with the good old formula (2D platformer)
  • A Fully 3d open-world Kirby game (3D platformer )
  • A New kind of Kirby game

Last edited:

Akireli

Official Terrarian
I hope the Kirby game on Nintendo Switch is gonna be good , I have a feeling this one might be a fully 3d one . Which of the following would you prefer to see ? :
  • A Kirby turn-based RPG
  • A sequel to an old Kirby game ( for example , Kirby's Air Ride 2 )
  • A New Kirby game with the good old formula (2d platformer)
  • A Fully 3d open-world Kirby game (3d platformer )
I'd like to see what they could do with a 3d platformer, but I would really like to see a 2D game with a mechanic like the ability combination in 64.

Aurora3500

Staff member
I hope the Kirby game on Nintendo Switch is gonna be good , I have a feeling this one might be a fully 3d one . Which of the following would you prefer to see ? :
  • A Kirby turn-based RPG
  • A sequel to an old Kirby game ( for example , Kirby's Air Ride 2 )
  • A New Kirby game with the good old formula (2d platformer)
  • A Fully 3d open-world Kirby game (3d platformer )
Those all sound good for potential Kirby games on the Nintendo Switch. For me what I'd likely love to see the most is a sequel or a game that uses a similar type of open World System to The Amazing Mirror. Either that, or a sequel to Kirby Air Ride. A very unique take on making racing very exciting in games. Was so much fun on the Gamecube. I don't have a preference towards 2D or 3D. I'd be happy with either.

I genuinely feel the Nintendo Switch has very high potential. Seeing games like that which would use the full power of the Switch could help make it even better.

KirbyMaster500

Skeletron Prime
I'm not too sure on Kirby getting a 3D expansion, as it would ruin most of what the Copy Abilities have to offer: combos and powerful attacks, some that shred bosses in mere seconds. I've barely seen 3D combo games and the ones I've played seem overall confusing to play at all.

On topic, the new game should just drop the lighthearted gig of the series and go straight into the core of The Cerebus Syndrome. Also, it should be memorable, all with bosses, music, depressing backstory, etc. However, this seems very hard to do, since Planet Robobot and Star Dream are considered the greatest of the franchise and HAL's greatest pieces of work.

Chisaki

Retinazer
i'm a fan of Kirby!! i've played Crystal Shards, Nightmare in dreamland , amazing mirror , superstar saga (snes and DS ), squeak squad , that one kirby game i can't recall the name but had you controlling multiple copies of kirby XD

InstaFiz

Slime Collector
How have I not seen this thread before? Man, Kirby was my life!
I first saw Kirby in Super Smash Bros Brawl. He really looked nice to me.
Then, in 2012, I saw a commercial for Kirby's Dream Collection for the Wii, and I was like, "hey, it's that guy from smash bros!"
I got Kirby's Dream Collection for Christmas during 2012, and I was addicted. I'm not even joking. I would play it every chance I got.
Kirby's Dream Collection gave me access to 6 retro games. Those were Kirby's Dream Land (pretty good game for young kids), Kirby's Adventure (the only game on the NES that's good, in my opinion), Kirby's Dream Land 2 (I beat the game, and I didn't see Dark Matter?), Kirby Super Star (I'm glad they rebooted that game), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (#BringGooeyBack), and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Kirby is as stretchy as crap in that game).
Kirby's Epic Yarn was my next game, and I really enjoyed that. But what I REALLY wanted was to own Kirby's Return to Dreamland, because the dream collection had a tad bit of lore to that game.
And my wish came true! It was just as fun as I imagined.
One time, I rented Kirby Mass Attack from my local library, and it was pretty dull in my opinion. plz no hate
Kirby Super Star Ultra was next, and I loved it just as much as the original Super Star. Heck, it's the only DSi game I enjoy today!
Then came Triple Deluxe! That was cool, and I absolutely loved the concept of Queen Sectonia.
My wish for there to be a Kirby game on the Wii U came true when Kirby and the Rainbow Curse came out! It was so much fun with so many laughs when I played it with my bro. I must admit though: Controlling Kirby was annoying in that game. And I'm not joking when I say this: EVERY SINGLE BOSS IN THAT GAME WAS REALLY HARD!
And then: Kirby Planet Robobot came out, and holy crap! That game was spot-on! I loved the story behind it, and the true arena was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!
Here's to the next Kirby game! (hopefully on the Nintendo Switch)

Sigma90

Brain of Cthulhu
Wow, memory rush!

Kirby's Fun Pak (aka Kirby Super Star in other regions) on the SNES is my favourite. It was one of my first video games, and it was multiplayer! My brother an I would spend hours in front of the TV playing together. (I was always Kirby, and he the helper.) The variety and depth of the game amazed the younger me, and in a way, still does. It was years before we achieved 100% completion. Some of the treasures in Great Cave Offensive were quite well hidden... and the Copy ability in Milky Way Wishes. And years after we achieved 100%, we found a new copy ability: Paint. Something about the older SNES games are like a gift that keeps on giving; I keep finding new things in them.

Super Star Ultra on DS was a good follow-up, but the lack of multiplayer without needing two DSs + game cards ruins the multiplayer experience. I can breeze through anything in it except the True Arena. I've only finished the True Area a few times with abilities that border on cheating, like Stone and Mirror. But I can finish Helper To Hero with the near-useless abilities like Jet/Capsule-J or Wing/Birdon.

Any later Kirby games inevitably ended up being compared to KFP. There was never the variety in copy abilities or game modes to live up to KFP. They weren't bad of course! Just different. It wasn't until Squeak Squad that there was a return to form matching KFP.

Kirby's Air Ride was definitely an interesting racer. I liked the way City Trial forced you to find alternate stars to race on and to collect abilities to improve your racer. There was a large grid of achievements to complete. One of the more difficult challenges was beating King Dedede in under a minute. (He was nigh-impossible to beat in the 90 second time limit normally.) My brother and I achieved this by both of us having the legendary vehicles with two Level 9 CPUs also in ideal vehicles. We were pretty proud of that!

Kirby's Epic Yarn was another odd one out in the Kirby series. Take Kirby and its well-known characters and remove the copy abilities. Sounds like a recipe for Kirby's Epic Fail? But it worked really well. It was accessible enough for the novice players it was aimed at and had challenges to keep the experienced players happy.

Flameofice

Plantera
Since no one has posted this yet...
I've already YISSSSSSSSed about this like a week ago, but YISSSSSSSS. Water is back, Cleaning is back, basically every ability worth giving a damn about is back, helpers are back, and COMBINING COPY ABILITIES IS BACK, HAVE A THIRD YISSSSSSSS. And no useless "get super powerful and wreck everything" mechanic in sight, either (even though the Robobot Armor was cool).

So what ability combinations are you guys planning to shoot for? I'm planning on trying Hammer + Spark at the first opportunity so I can be Thor for like, 5 minutes. And then Water + Spear so I can be Poseidon for another 5 minutes or so.

Also, here's to hoping that Spark + Ice comes back so we can be a fridge again.

LinkSans2000

Official Terrarian
Just started playing this series and it’s probably my new favorite platformer. I started with Kirby’s Adventure. I’m currently playing Super Star.
I hope to get my hands on the following:
Return to Dreamland
Triple Deluxe
Planet Robobot
Star Allies

Are there any others ya’ll would suggest?

Top Bottom