NPCs & Enemies The Wall of Shadow

Zoomo

Lunatic Cultist
Underworld Expansion
The Wall of Shadow
When the Wall of Flesh was first introduced into the game it worked as a terrifying gate holding back hardmode. However with 1.2 the crimson was introduced, taking the lime light as the fleshy denizen of the game. Though the WoF still works in either type of world, I felt that it would be neat for it to be a boss thematic with the corruption and crimson, a gate keeper holding their true forms at bay. In Crimson worlds the WoF would remain but in Corruption worlds there would be a new boss, the Wall of Shadow.

The Wall of Shadow would be much like the Wall of Flesh, however it would have its own gimmicks as well. The WoS does not possess two eyes and a mouth like the WoF, instead having one which part which would switch between a mouth and an eye. In the eye form it will charge up a deadly beam which will fire constantly for a while. In the mouth form it will rush the player spewing a flamethrower like stream of shadowy fire. All the while it will swipe at them with its Hands of the Fallen and barrage them with Nightmares.

Boss:

The Wall of shadow
"The Wall of Shadow Has Awoken"

shadow-wall.gif

(summoned by throwing a guide voodoo doll into the lava in a corruption world)

Eye Form
Shadow Eye.png

Max Life: 8200 (shared)
Defence: 16
Melee: 60
Ranged: 20-40 (depending on health)
AI: In the eye form it try to move away from players reach. When in this form Nightmares (described below) will spawn all along the wall rapidly and the wall will move more slowly. The eye will slowly charge a beam from for a duration of time, then once it has charged long enough the eye will fire a beam, slowly rotating to aim at the player. Immediately after the eye form has finished firing its beam it will transform into the mouth form.

Mouth Form
Shadow Mouth.png

Defence: 0
Melee: 40
Ranged: 15-25 (depending on health)
AI: When in this form the wall loses all defence, and summons less nightmares than when in eye form. However it will have increased speed and spews a a constant shadowy flamethrower like stream.

Hand of the Fallen
Handofthefallen.png

Defence: n/a
Melee: 15
AI: Plant (When extending like other plant ai monsters do, it Extends very far. However normally it has a very short reach.)

Drops:
Blasterator.png
Heavy Beam Cannon 16.67%
Bolt thrower.png
Bolter 16.67%
StrikerBlade.png
Striker Blade 16.67%
Warrior_Emblem.png
Warrior Emblem 16.67%
Sorcerer_Emblem.png
Sorcerer Emblem 16.67%
Ranger_Emblem.png
Ranger Emblem 16.67%
Pwnhammer.png
Pwnhammer 100%
Healing_Potion.png
Healing Potion(5-15) 100%
Trophy.png
Wall of Shadow Trophy(1) 10%
Wall_of_Flesh_Mask.png
Wall of Shadow Mask(1) 14.29%

Crimtane Brick (block)
Crimtane Brick Small.png

Found in: underworld (when the Wall of Flesh is killed)
mineable: any projectile or weapon
drops: n/a
notes: Spawns in a box like Demonite does when the wall of flesh has been killed(not the wall of shadow)

Night Mare
NPC_116.png

Max Life: 45
Defence: 2-10 (scales with the wall of shadow's health)
Melee: 22-28 (scales with the wall of shadow's health)
AI: Nightmare (runs forward unaffected by gravity, if hit by a weapon it can be pushed up or down, if it runs into a wall it will die no matter what its health is currently at, the longer it is alive the faster it moves, when it first is spawned by the wall it will move quite slowly, actually falling behind the player and the wall however its speed will exponentially raise till it flies at crazy speeds, deals more damage the faster it is going, if killed this way it will not drop a heart)
Drops:
Heart 100%(when the player is below max health)

Bolt Thrower
Bolt thrower.png

power: n/a
tooltip: 'Quickly but inaccurately launches arrows'
speed: very fast (auto-fires)
damage: 23
knockback: very weak
value: 3 gold
notes: it fires arrows in a near constant stream but they fly at quite low velocity and thus can not travel very far

Striker Blade
StrikerBlade.png

tooltip: 'quickly slashes multiple times'
speed: insanely fast
damage: 30
knockback: average
notes: For each swing the Swift Striker sends out two more spectral versions of the blade which swipe outwards in an arc, they will only do one sweep in front of the player as if they were another blade being swung, however they will travel out a bit in front of the player

Heavy Beam Cannon
Blasterator.png

tooltip: 'Fires a powerful constant beam'
speed: constant (uses mana as if it was an average speed weapon)
damage: 25
knockback: none
notes: Pushes the player away from the direction the beam is fired in, this can be used as a early substitute for wings but can not support the player infinitely, acting more a boost to their jump

Wall of shadow Trophy
Trophy.png

tooltip: "Placable"
max stack: 99
value: 1 gold
notes:
none

Crimtane Brick
Crimtane Brick Small.png

Crafting -
Stone_Block.png
(5)
Crimtane_Ore.png
(1)
tooltip: "Placable"
max stack: 99
value: 1 gold
notes:
none

Wall of Shadow Mask
Wall_of_Flesh_Mask.png

Wall of Shadow
tooltip: none
effect:
none
type: hat
value: none
notes:
none

There would be a new debuff called 'Grip of Death' Which acts exactly like The Tongue debuff except it looks like a shadowy hand.
icon:
Grip of Death.png

Rather than saying "you have seen something nasty, and there is no escape." the debuff will say "you have seen something terrible, and there is no escape."
icon:
Horrified.png

[Finally ported over from T.O.]

Last edited:
I like this, the heavy beam cannon seems really useful to me. Even when you get wings it can be useful.

What would it say if it got to the end of the map?

Asks myself: Why does this look familiar? Did someone dupe or steal another idea? Sees fine print: Oh. ONCE AGAIN FOLKS, SUPPORT!

Loved this suggestion on TO, I think my first ever suggestion was a blood moon variant based off this idea.
Glad to see it ported over to the new forums.
Always been one of your best suggestions, IMO. (Although they are all very good)

I remember this from TO, but I'm still opposed to it. Just a personal preference involving the classic nature of the Wall of Flesh. Nothing wrong with the idea itself :p

I like this, but, what if the Heavy Beam Cannon is renamed Special Beam Cannon? This is only if it does not share it's name from no time to explain.

Back
Top Bottom