Console The Year Ahead & The Community "Takes Control"

Two ideas - Tactical and Builder. Font Size reduced to take up less space.

Tactical (Combat focused) -
- Jump: LT
- Action: RT
- Previous Item: LB
- Next Item: RB
- Move/(Quick Buff): Left Stick/(Left Stick Click)
- Aim/(Switch Cursor Mode): Right Stick/(Right Stick Click)
- Inventory: Back
- Pause: Start
- Player List & World Map: Y
- Grapple: X
- Jump: A
- Use: B
- Quick Shortcuts: D-Pad

Tactical focuses on giving a split-second advantage when in active combat. Quick Buff is added to left click for ease, and Jump is automatically LT (and A). Despite being moved from it's original location, Grapple is still fairly easy to reach and is located at X. The inventory is bound to Back as well, allowing for more rapid equipment changes.

Builder (Construction focused) -
- Jump: LB
- Action: RB
- Previous Item: LT
- Next Item: RT
- Move/(Inventory): Left Stick/(Left Stick Click)
- Aim/(Switch Cursor Mode): Right Stick/(Right Stick Click)
- Player List & World Map: Back
- Pause: Start
- Quick Buff: Y
- Grapple: X
- Jump: A
- Use: B
- Quick Shortcuts: D-Pad

Builder is not as customized as Tactical, but still contains useful key-binds for the devoted architect. Action is on RB, for more precise placements, and Inventory is on Left Stick Click for easy-access of extra tools. Quick Buff has been moved out of the way and Grapple has been put in it's place, for easier access to high places while constructing.

505, first off, thank you for the update, glad that we will be getting fishing soon, as well as having a general time frame for the update.

2nd, as far as the control scheme goes, i honestly think how it is now is nearly perfect. The only thing i would like to see is a button for heath potions, but really you can just assign it to a bound button and then you are good to go. But sometimes that mapping gets lost as things get moved around in the inventory.

Thank you for your hard work on this great game though. it is played several times a week at least in my household on the console.

the best scheme for PS Vita in my opinion is the way it already is...however it would be nice to use summoning items with the touchscreen. meaning the Staff of the Frost Hydra and things like it. I like the current control scheme though. it's nice.

ant_man_72314.jpg

Good thing I recently got a gamepad! Anyways, I agree with everything in the Xbox section except for one thing - I think Start should open your inventory, not Y. This might be just me though.
If Start opened your inventory you couldn't pull the map back up since there is no other room on the controller. If it wasn't like this it wouldn't be a bad idea. :joy:

My only suggestion would be anycontorable magic weapon that cursor should switch to the magical bullet itself that way you have full control over it instead of minimal

For the 3DS/Wii U control scheme, I'd recommend implementing a settings option like the PC. (If anybody has suggestions that they feel would be a better layout, By all means post them here. Please try to consider what key you're assigning to what button however, For example assign

The difference with this however, It lets people utilize one of two control layouts. I'd like to point out you would be able to set these separately, Turning a single one on won't trigger the rest of the same scheme. (List of separate control schemes accesses from Main Menu > Settings)

Left Side (Slash): Control Scheme 1.
Right Side (Slash: Control Scheme 2.
Left Side (Dash): Control shared with Right Side(Dash)
Right Side (Dash): Control button shared with Left Side(Dash)
Equipment Key: It's a small area similar to the PC where you can store Grapple Hooks, Mounts, Pets, Minecarts, And a Light Pet. The 3DS/Wii U version would expand on this enabling Health Potions to also be stored here. All except the Mine Cart at summoned/used upon activating the button. (Minecarts activate upon using the Interaction Button on a Minetrack)
Utilization Button: Essentially what the Left Click button does for the PC.
Interaction Button: Essentially what the Right Click button does for the PC.
"Smart" Target: Essentially what the Shift button does for the PC.
Aim Interaction-Item: Essentially what a mouse is. (For the Button format, It uses a similar AI to that of Smart Cursor for Terraria PC and aims in that particular direction.)
Circulate Equipment: Moves a cursor left and right through the player's toolbar, Selecting items without having to open the inventory.

• A Button: Utilize item held/Interaction button
  • B Button: Interaction button/Utilize item held
  • X Button: Jump/Equipment key 1
  • Y Button: Equipment key 1/Jump
  • Start Button: Open saving/Exit feature
  • Select Button: Open inventory
  • Circle Pad + Up: Aims Interaction&Item target upwards/Moves players upwards. (Effects from Gravity Globe/Potion needed)
  • Circle Pad + Down: Aims interaction&Item target downwards/Moves the player downwards. (Drop through platforms)
  • Circle Pad + Left: Aims interaction&Item target leftwards/Moves the player leftwards.
  • Circle Pad + Right: Aims interaction&Item target rightwards/Moves the player rightwards.
  • Cross Button + Up: Drink all accessible buff potions
  • Cross Button + Down: Drop held item
  • Cross Button + Left: Circulate Equipment/Aims Interaction&Item target leftwards.
  • Cross Button + Right: Circulate Equipement/Aims Interaction&Item target rightwards.
  • L Button: Circulates from Left to Right through items in the toolbar.
  • R Button: Circulates from Right to Left through items in the toolbar.
  • Display Screen: Displays the game.
  • Touchscreen: Aim Interaction-Item target override/Open Inventory

If applicable, New 3DS Additional control scheme (Button scheme for the Wii U gamepad):
  • C Stick + Up: Aims Interaction&Item target upwards.
  • C Stick + Down:Aims Interaction&Item target downwards.
  • C Stick + Left: Aims Interaction&Item target leftwards.
  • C Stick + Right: Aims Interaction&Item target rightwards.
  • ZL: "Smart" Target.
  • ZR: "Smart" Target.

I will say the aiming system on Terraria 3DS is going to be hard to work out, For those who'd rather not use a Touchscreen you're not left with many options. (Outside Circle Pad Pro), You'd need two joysticks. One to move, And one to aim.

Last edited:
yay duke fishron finally
[DOUBLEPOST=1438816488,1438816349][/DOUBLEPOST]
For the 3DS/Wii U control scheme, I'd recommend implementing a settings option like the PC.

The difference with this however, It lets people utilize one of two control layouts. I'd like to point out you would be able to set these separately, Turning a single one on won't trigger the rest of the same scheme. (List of separate control schemes accesses from Main Menu > Settings)

Left Side (Slash): Control Scheme 1.
Right Side (Slash: Control Scheme 2.
Left Side (Dash): Control shared with Right Side(Dash)
Right Side (Dash): Control button shared with Left Side(Dash)
Utilization Button: Essentially what the Left Click button does for the PC.
Interaction Button: Essentially what the Right Click button does for the PC.
Aim Interaction-Item: Essentially what a mouse is. (For the Button format, It uses a similar AI to that of Smart Cursor for Terraria PC and aims in that particular direction.)
Circulate Equipment: Moves a cursor left and right through the player's toolbar, Selecting items without having to open the inventory.

• A Button: Utilize item held/Interaction button
  • B Button: Interaction button/Utilize item held
  • X Button: Jump/Equipment key 1
  • Y Button: Equipment key 1/Jump
  • Start Button: Open saving/Exit feature
  • Select Button: Open inventory
  • Circle Pad + Up: Aims Interaction&Item target upwards/Moves players upwards. (Effects from Gravity Globe/Potion needed)
  • Circle Pad + Down: Aims interaction&Item target downwards/Moves the player downwards. (Drop through platforms)
  • Circle Pad + Left: Aims interaction&Item target leftwards/Moves the player leftwards.
  • Circle Pad + Right: Aims interaction&Item target rightwards/Moves the player rightwards.
  • Cross Button + Up: Drink all accessible buff potions/Aims Interaction&Item target upwards.
  • Cross Button + Down: Drop held item/Aims Interaction&Item target downwards.
  • Cross Button + Left: Circulate Equipment/Aims Interaction&Item target leftwards.
  • Cross Button + Right: Circulate Equipement/Aims Interaction&Item target rightwards.
  • L Button: Circulates from Left to Right through items in the toolbar.
  • R Button: Circulates from Right to Left through items in the toolbar.
  • Display Screen: Displays the game.
  • Touchscreen: Aim Interaction-Item target override/Open Inventory

If applicable, New 3DS Additional control scheme:
  • C Stick + Up: Aims and then uses Utilization Button upwards.
  • C Stick + Down: Aims and then uses Utilization Button downwards
  • C Stick + Left: Aims and then uses Utilization Button leftwards.
  • C Stick + Right: Aims and then uses Utilization Button rightwards.
  • ZL: "Smart" Target.
  • ZR: "Smart" Target.

I will say the aiming system on Terraria 3DS is going to be hard to work out, For those who'd rather not use a Touchscreen you're not left with many options. (Outside Circle Pad Pro), You'd need two joysticks. One to move, And one to aim.

the wiimote control scheme epic i dunno can you even use 2 joysticks for 3ds or can you use any
[DOUBLEPOST=1438816565][/DOUBLEPOST]
My only suggestion would be anycontorable magic weapon that cursor should switch to the magical bullet itself that way you have full control over it instead of minimal
i dunno how they are gonna work on 2ds

the wiimote control scheme epic i dunno can you even use 2 joysticks for 3ds or can you use any
For the 3DS you can buy an accessory called a Circle Pad Pro which affixes another Circle Pad to the 3DS, On the left side. (The New 3DS does technically have another joystick, But trust me I've used it. It's a small rigid button, Trying to use that for a primary function as movement/targeting would be met with hate and criticism due to being an uncomfortable control layout.)

Last edited:
I think a bullet pet/summon would be a cool drop from the moon lord... (a luminite bullet of course)
Sort of like a bullet that flies around and kills things.
There should also be some more items added that are used by enemies from the lunar event.
[DOUBLEPOST=1438818785,1438818738][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think a bullet pet/summon would be a cool drop from the moon lord... (a luminite bullet of course)
Sort of like a bullet that flies around and kills things.
There should also be some more items added that are used by enemies from the lunar event.
lol is this for 3ds I meant for the pc

I suppose it's too much to ask for the console exclusive content on PC... You know... What's commonly known as fair treatment.
ahem...... if FAIR TREATMENT was a real thing console would have 1.3 already.
i believe the main reason that console gets "console only" content is because of the long wait times we have for the next update cause console terrarians (like me) constantly get let down when they click on the coin gun or any other item that was introduced in 1.2.4 or later. Plus we have to deal with the fact of (and this is the worst part), we KNOW 1.3 is out there on pc but we wont have 1.2.4 till late this year

so to answer your question..... no u may not recieve any console exculsive content XP

Back
Top Bottom