Wacky NPCs Mod

2022-08-11 13_28_40-Steam.png

I also see the same thing, your mod is just a popular mod this week. Very well done. :)

Uh, this mod appears to me in the Mod Browser, but when I'm going to play it, the game tells me that it is not compatible because of the version. Is it going to receive one more update?

Uh, this mod appears to me in the Mod Browser, but when I'm going to play it, the game tells me that it is not compatible because of the version. Is it going to receive one more update?
Interesting.
Does it not load?

I think there's a thing now that wants mods to be checked/updated/whatever by their creators once every month, I guess I didn't do that yet now, so it can be it's that. I'll check it, but this is interesting too, because would mods just not work, if the creator neglects it for some time?
I don't think anything changed with the mod browser since, and I didn't tinker with the mod since the uploading either. I need a coder to help with coding new stuff XD

edit: it seems I can't upload the mod again without changing the version number. which I see little reason to change when I did not change anything on the mod since uploading.
is the mod not working even with census enabled?
if it is necessary to to upload again, I can just add .1 to the mod version number, but it seems kinda weird if nothing was changed on it.

Last edited:
Interesting.
Does it not load?

I think there's a thing now that wants mods to be checked/updated/whatever by their creators once every month, I guess I didn't do that yet now, so it can be it's that. I'll check it, but this is interesting too, because would mods just not work, if the creator neglects it for some time?
I don't think anything changed with the mod browser since, and I didn't tinker with the mod since the uploading either. I need a coder to help with coding new stuff XD

edit: it seems I can't upload the mod again without changing the version number. which I see little reason to change when I did not change anything on the mod since uploading.
is the mod not working even with census enabled?
if it is necessary to to upload again, I can just add .1 to the mod version number, but it seems kinda weird if nothing was changed on it.
What is the census?

this mod
Oh, but what does it have to do? I know your mod adds NPCs, but the problem is not there. I will show you the problem, here:
This issue.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, but what does it have to do? I know your mod adds NPCs, but the problem is not there. I will show you the problem, here:
View attachment 382141
the version number looks a tiny bit outdated too, if it's necessary, I can add a .1 to the version number, and upload again - even though I changed nothing on it since the upload -
but it also says "Census" right there, so, what sort of error message it gives, if you do have census mod enabled too? does it gives this error? or something else?

the version number looks a tiny bit outdated too, if it's necessary, I can add a .1 to the version number, and upload again - even though I changed nothing on it since the upload -
but it also says "Census" right there, so, what sort of error message it gives, if you do have census mod enabled too? does it gives this error? or something else?
Oh! You didn't say that Census was needed to work. Now I see that the mod is asking for it to be installed. Maybe next time you should put "this mod needs another mod to work properly" so people can know before instaling your mod.
And no, I was not using that mod.
Thank you anyway.

Oh! You didn't say that Census was needed to work. Now I see that the mod is asking for it to be installed. Maybe next time you should put "this mod needs another mod to work properly" so people can know before instaling your mod.
And no, I was not using that mod.
Thank you anyway.
I noted on it somewhere I think, but where elsewhere to add the info? so that people see it better.
is it working properly now?

So the new update came out and it has some... stuff in it already. Gonna go with spoiler mods just in case

Any ideas what to do with Shimer? Would be nice to eventualy add in shimered versions of NPC's from this mod. Also how do you feel about a Shimer NPC? There's a ton of unique stuff just from it so I think it's not that bad of an option in terms of possible future NPC's. The liquid is also technicly avaiable from the start if you just manage to find the biome so there shouldn't be an issue in terms of avaiablility for them
There's also the new "Upside down" secret seed which has stuff like Ash trees in Hell which I'm not sure is avaiable in normal worlds so if not then maybe there could be a demon NPC with hell stuff? There is some stuff in there that is really annoying to get like the Magma Stone for example and you could probably throw in some lava stuff as well. Alternatively it could just be a Secret Seed NPC I guess? Not sure how much worthwhile stuff is there from them

Also some less spoily stuff, Scam Artist might need a bit of a rework since some of their items like Magic mirror can now be crafted.

Last edited:
So the new update came out and it has some... stuff in it already. Gonna go with spoiler mods just in case

Any ideas what to do with Shimer? Would be nice to eventualy add in shimered versions of NPC's from this mod. Also how do you feel about a Shimer NPC? There's a ton of unique stuff just from it so I think it's not that bad of an option in terms of possible future NPC's. The liquid is also technicly avaiable from the start if you just manage to find the biome so there shouldn't be an issue in terms of avaiablility for them
There's also the new "Upside down" secret seed which has stuff like Ash trees in Hell which I'm not sure is avaiable in normal worlds so if not then maybe there could be a demon NPC with hell stuff? There is some stuff in there that is really annoying to get like the Magma Stone for example and you could probably throw in some lava stuff as well. Alternatively it could just be a Secret Seed NPC I guess? Not sure how much worthwhile stuff is there from them

Also some less spoily stuff, Scam Artist might need a bit of a rework since some of their items like Magic mirror can now be crafted.
Ah, yeah, we tried out that "get fixed boi" seed yesterday in multiplayer with a friend.
So, saw some of the new things, though didn't find shimmer so far.
But saw it in vids and trying to look it up on the wiki, although info are kind of just fragments at the point yet, I guess.

What do shimmered town NPCs do? the wiki says it only changes the appearance, but is that all? the wiki has some (very small) pics of them, it looks very cool, but if the wacky NPCs would get a shimmer form, what that should be like...? hmmmmmmm... I have a few ideas, but what about you? (or anyone else here) any good ideas?
like, so far, I'm trying to understand the logic in their shimmer form. they certainly make sense, but wonder if they all have the same logic in the transformation, or it differs by NPC.

As far as I know Shimmer only changed the sprite although I haven't even had a chance to play the new update at all.
As for logic I don't know if there is a solid one that all follow, there's stuff like reffrences to other stuff like The Wizard becoming a Black Mage from FInal Fantasy but then you also have Goblin Tinkerer and Mechanic becoming goblins (A more usual green one in fantasy rather then terraria ones) or characters just changing forms like Dryad getting her Dungeon Defenders II outfit or the Pirate becoming a ghost.

As for the NPC's in this mod:
Corruption and Crimson fangirl could swap their preferd biome (only in terms of design)
Lockpick could look like a thief
Scam Arist could look more like a Nymph
The professor could look more like an actual professor in a suit and glasses
Waiter could become a Butler
Hollow Fangirl I don't have an idea for
Gravedigger could become a Zombie

Last edited:
I just realized something, what will the crimson, corrupt and/or hallowed fangirls do if you purify the world? Will they be sad? cause i don't wanna make people sad.

Can you even detect that for them? Not sure how possible it would be... Either way I assume they would be sad if you get rid of it except for Hallowed who might see this as a supperior option to corruption

I just realized something, what will the crimson, corrupt and/or hallowed fangirls do if you purify the world? Will they be sad? cause i don't wanna make people sad.
Good question...
@Quba I'm pretty sure it is possible somehow for a town NPC to tell how corrupt/crimson/hallow a world is, since the Dryad can tell that. although I don't think it actually affects her shop or other quotes, but I might be wrong. does it affects her in any way?

I think, not counting the achievement to purify the whole world, normally few people would even try achieving that. it's both difficult and time-consuming to do, and you don't really profit from it either, because these biomes offer plenty of unique drops you might wanna get. even if they matter little by late game - and the fangirls themselves sell most of these things, so technically speaking, with them around, you would have access to these items even once you purified the whole world.

But they would be probably sad, yeah XD Dunno if there would be point trying to code them to detect it though if a world is completely purified. but maybe they look at it in a way like "okay, now buy lots of purple/red/cyan solution and..."
Also, no, I don't think hallow fangirl would think "pure is better than evil" she is the hallow fangirl. so, hallow it should be. pure is not hallow either. XD

I think both Corru and Crim has some quotes on to not purify the world XD so, yeah.
I think - and Crim even has a quote where she blabbers about setting up a quaranteene, but then quickly add that it would be even better not to, and just let the crimson spread everywhere - that, I think, the best "solution" is to set up quaranteenes so that spreading biomes are contained, but otherwise let them be. in a way, they're part of the world too.

you might need to purify some areas, but it's fine to leave some of these biomes too.

also, if we're at it, what would Flann do in that case? That one might would just have her brain have a meltdown where the crimson disappeared to, and that the world is all exotic green and someone says that is "pure" instead of the crimson. XD The fangirls are at least aware that purity is the generally default state of places, even if they probably think that their favorite biomes are unquestionably part of the world, and there should be more areas with that. But what about Flann? XD

I do kinda wonder how would the state of the would affect the fangirls, but it's probably too much a hassle to look for fancy stuff for them to do in such cases, because normally not many will try to purify (or currupt/crimson/hallow) an entire world XD I think.

What do shimmered town NPCs do? the wiki says it only changes the appearance, but is that all? the wiki has some (very small) pics of them, it looks very cool, but if the wacky NPCs would get a shimmer form, what that should be like...? hmmmmmmm... I have a few ideas, but what about you? (or anyone else here) any good ideas?
Yes, it's purely cosmetic though I think it doesn't have to be -- I'm sure you could have different behaviors depending on form, but the Terraria devs decided not to.

For Wacky NPCs, I'd suggest that the fangirls' shimmered form would be how they'd look like if they let their love for their fav biome go a bit too far and got themselves infected, turning them into monsters. For Hallow Fangirl, the "Hallow Humanoid" reference would be the Chaos Elemental. She'd be the least changed, but would get a purple/pink skin color.
For Crimson Fangirl, the Crimson Humanoid reference would be the Face Monster. Change in hair and skin color, much bigger eye, and larger (though probably not as large as the actual face monster) jaw. For Corruption Fangirl, there's no humanoid reference. I'd suggest using the color scheme of the Eater of Souls/Devourer/Eater of Worlds -- that dark desaturated purple with sickly green accents, and an excessive amount of eyes. Finally, for Cyber Fangirl, the logical inspiration would be the Cyborg.

Another who could have a monstrous shimmered form is the Scam Artist. Since her looks are based on the Lost Girl, her shimmered look could be based on the Nymph -- pale green skin and red eyes.

Waiter: could be a stereotypical waiter: black suit, black bowtie, white shirt, short white apron on the legs.

Crimson Barkeep: could be based off the Floaty Gross instead of the Face Monster.

Yes, it's purely cosmetic though I think it doesn't have to be -- I'm sure you could have different behaviors depending on form, but the Terraria devs decided not to.

For Wacky NPCs, I'd suggest that the fangirls' shimmered form would be how they'd look like if they let their love for their fav biome go a bit too far and got themselves infected, turning them into monsters. For Hallow Fangirl, the "Hallow Humanoid" reference would be the Chaos Elemental. She'd be the least changed, but would get a purple/pink skin color.
For Crimson Fangirl, the Crimson Humanoid reference would be the Face Monster. Change in hair and skin color, much bigger eye, and larger (though probably not as large as the actual face monster) jaw. For Corruption Fangirl, there's no humanoid reference. I'd suggest using the color scheme of the Eater of Souls/Devourer/Eater of Worlds -- that dark desaturated purple with sickly green accents, and an excessive amount of eyes. Finally, for Cyber Fangirl, the logical inspiration would be the Cyborg.

Another who could have a monstrous shimmered form is the Scam Artist. Since her looks are based on the Lost Girl, her shimmered look could be based on the Nymph -- pale green skin and red eyes.

Waiter: could be a stereotypical waiter: black suit, black bowtie, white shirt, short white apron on the legs.

Crimson Barkeep: could be based off the Floaty Gross instead of the Face Monster.
Interesting ideas, yes!
Though I wonder whether we really should go for that, but I do agree that's certainly logical, considering what we see with vanilla NPCs' shimmer form too.

Back
Top Bottom