Windows 10 Discussion Thread. To get, or not to get?

Will you be getting Windows 10

• Total voters
Already got it (why am I the only one? :( ) and I must say it's pretty good. It boots faster than 8.1 (for me), and it doesn't affect games at all.
Microsoft Edge has convinced me to stop using Chrome :p (Chrome uses pretty much RAM, and ME is not sucks like IE)

This is all about the PC version, Win10 for phone performs badly (I know, it's in technical preview) but the UI is nice.

I wait for at least 6 months before I try to get a new operating system. Sometimes it takes up to a year before I could get a new computer anyway.

I would get it, however microsoft still hasn't sent me the update. this is taking quite awhile
1P6QOoh.png

I plan to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 next week. Since this is going to be a process that can take some time I've heard it takes a few hours so I'll need a free day from work where I can focus on this. This is also to wait until the most critical bugs are patched out on Windows 10.

I have read about some bad rumors that Microsoft plans to make Windows 10 a subscription based OS similar to how they changed Microsoft Office to be a subscription service, which would be god awful if this actually were to happen, but there is nothing coming from Microsoft themselves or credible sources that confirm that this is the case.

I don't see much of a reason not to upgrade since it offers performance improvements and still functions similar to Windows 7 and not Windows 8. Most of my games should be compatible with it, Terraria is listed as compatible for Windows 10 on GOG so I'm not worried about that.

For the new features I don't care too much about things like the app store or apps in general, I hear Cortana is pretty good and I may plan to use Cortana for things like reminders, scheduling, and finding information easier. As for the new Edge Browser, I will be willing to give it a chance if it is possible to get most add-ons I have on Opera/Chrome/Firefox on it since I hear its a huge improvement over Internet Explorer. Otherwise for the most part I will still be using Opera as my main browser.

Unlock GodMode! Create a folder on your desktop and rename it:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
No more wading through window after window to get to a simple setting. Enjoy.

Unlock GodMode! Create a folder on your desktop and rename it:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
No more wading through window after window to get to a simple setting. Enjoy.
What does it actually do?

What does it actually do?
Places all of the possible settings from control panel, admin tools, etc. in one big list. It's basically control panel on steroids.

Anyway, I'm half enjoying Windows 10. They borrowed heavily from Gnome for the GUI which is a great start but unlike the gorgeous Gnome shell it's still messy MS bull:red:. Click long enough and you'll eventually bring up Windows 7 interfaces, keep going and there's something from XP, keep going and there's Windows 98, Windows 3.1, lol. They really need to stick to some consistency in their design.

You can't (yet) remove MS bull:red: apps like their store, or Xbox, or Groove Music, or a heap of other MS crap that everyone hates. Will have to wait for some tweakers to come along.

It's not as sensible or as slick as Fedora or Ubuntu Gnome but it is easier to game on :/

Something I'd be quite interested to know: how has windows 10 effected game performance, in comparison to windows 8?

Something I'd be quite interested to know: how has windows 10 effected game performance, in comparison to windows 8?
Most of the games I play is pretty fine (Terraria, Minecraft, HotS, any games by Telltale)

I heard of some serious major security holes within a "sharing" feature, but that's pretty much third- or fourth-hand. Generally just surfing the web and waiting for more news.

I have it on my laptop, since it already had 8.1. I had been testing the preview for months before release, and decided to just jump into the retail on my desktop a couple days ago. Since I'm primarily a PC gamer, it makes sense to do it for DX12. People talk about bugs, but I've yet to experience any issues. Even then, I don't mind going through all the kinks, since I have multiple hard drives and a backup Win7 disc.

The whole rumor about Windows trying to force everything on the app store is just that. The forced updates are an annoying issue, and something I don't like. I am hoping that MS realizes that this is a fatally flawed system and reverts to making updates optional, as there have been issues in the past with system-breaking updates. The UI is fine. I do miss my Aero Glass, but whatever. Move on and get passed it, right? I have already turned off a lot of data-sharing with Microsoft, since, even though I already have a smart phone, my computer, to me, is my last haven of privacy. The live tiles are a nuisance to me, so I just turn them off and unpin them. I'll probably install Classic Shell at some point, too, just so I can have my Windows 7 start menu back.

All that said, Windows 10, while it does have some nifty features, like freely switching between desktop and tablet mode, having multiple desktops (a little late there), and a few better apps than what was included in Windows 8, it still feels more like a second edition of Windows 8 to me. Regardless, I'm not going to complain about a free upgrade. Besides, it's better to just look forward with no regrets. Not only that, but I get an extra five years of security updates with it, and I'm not going to pull that silly "I'm switching to Linux!" crap that other people do until they realize "Oh, I can't even run X program under Linux, not even under WINE! And I don't even have VGA pass-through, so I can't virtualize X game!"

Back
Top Bottom