Won't the whole wiki situation screw us over in the end?

If we were to make another official wiki, it would be our own.

As I noted, the dev staff needed to kickstart such a project are focused on the game itself for the time being.

For now, I'd be stunned if Curse shut the current one down. Money tends to override revenge for corporations....if they were even seeking such. ;)

That said, its your time to spend how you want if you are looking to back things up. :)

If we were to make another official wiki, it would be our own.
I don't think Wikia would be considered the "new official wiki"; it would just be a fallback wiki for the people from the Curse wiki to go to and it would be treated as the Curse wiki was treated, if the Curse wiki was closed. Sorry if I was implying making Wikia the official one, I didn't mean to. :p

EDIT: Unless the Curse wiki is the "official" wiki? If so, then this post is completely wrong.

I don't think Wikia would be considered the "new official wiki"; it would just be a fallback wiki for the people from the Curse wiki to go to and it would be treated as the Curse wiki was treated, if the Curse wiki was closed. Sorry if I was implying making Wikia the official one, I didn't mean to. :p

EDIT: Unless the Curse wiki is the "official" wiki? If so, then this post is completely wrong.

It is currently.

If it were to be shut down, that would change the calculus substantially.....but I just cannot see that happening.

It is currently.

If it were to be shut down, that would change the calculus substantially.....but I just cannot see that happening.
Ah, sorry for the misinterpretation on my part. I perceived an official wiki as being a wiki created by the Developers; my mistake. ;-;

And yeah, neither can I see the scenario mentioned in the OP actually happening.

Ah, sorry for the misinterpretation on my part. I perceived an official wiki as being a wiki created by the Developers; my mistake. ;-;

And yeah, neither can I see the scenario mentioned in the OP actually happening.

Well, technically, we are just getting the official community rolling by that definition....so you never know.... ;)

For the record, it's already been stated a few times, but the chances of the wiki getting shut down while it's still very much in use- and in turn generating revenue for Curse- are slim to none. We'll likely be able to use the wiki until Terraria dies or Curse does- and sad to say the former will probably happen sooner.

From a general perspective which wiki (Gamepedia versus Wikia) is better is entirely subjective; the Wikia serves its purpose just fine, making it more useful for casual players, and the Gamepedia is more useful to players like me who like to know the specifics- every last detail on how the game works and whatnot. The Wikia wiki, atrocious layout ignored, is easier to use for casual players, although from a technical perspective the Gamepedia is leagues better- but again, it entirely depends on your playstyle.

Either way though both are likely to stick around for quite a while longer.

For the record, it's already been stated a few times, but the chances of the wiki getting shut down while it's still very much in use- and in turn generating revenue for Curse- are slim to none. We'll likely be able to use the wiki until Terraria dies or Curse does- and sad to say the former will probably happen sooner.

From a general perspective which wiki (Gamepedia versus Wikia) is better is entirely subjective; the Wikia serves its purpose just fine, making it more useful for casual players, and the Gamepedia is more useful to players like me who like to know the specifics- every last detail on how the game works and whatnot. The Wikia wiki, atrocious layout ignored, is easier to use for casual players, although from a technical perspective the Gamepedia is leagues better- but again, it entirely depends on your playstyle.

Either way though both are likely to stick around for quite a while longer.
I agree with what you're saying here. While also seeing Wikia as a wiki for casual players, I also see it as more of a community site, while, like you said, Curse is more specific. Know what I mean? Wikia offers a chat, forums, and a few other community-related features, making it more of a community-based site, as opposed to Curse, which is more for the technical aspects of Terraria. Both sites serve their purposes, it's just based on one's perspective for which site they'd rather use.

Taking all your content and moving it is a ridiculously huge task, and even then you have tthe touble of getting people to acknowledge the new one as the One True Wiki.

Let me recount the Doom wiki's move. The Doom community's primary wiki was once on wikia, until wikia decided to be complete asses and forcibly change a lot of things, and generally ruin stuff while actively sabotaging any attempts to leave their network. It took many months for all of that data to be moved, cleaned, reposted, on different software, and then there was the issue of getting it all hosted somewhere that wasnt part of some greedy corporate network like Wikia or Curse. To this day the highly accurate, well maintained, "official" wiki is pretty low on search results due to corporations buying top search engine results, and the average joe doesnt even know of the official wiki not being the wikia one. Doomworld itself actually CENSORS any links to the wikia version with the real wiki's counterpart, the community is that offended by Wikia's nonsense.

If the gamepedia wiki is moved, it WILL cost a lot of money, and an untold amount of time. Its not a decision to be made lightly.

Back
Top Bottom