NPCs & Enemies "A Welcoming Friend" - Immersive NPC Interactions

After you have read this suggestion, which NPC changes do you like the most?

• Guide

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Merchant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nurse

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Dye Trader

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Demolitionist

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Dryad

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Arms Dealer

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Clothier

• Mechanic

• Tinkerer

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Wizard

• Steampunker

• Witch Doctor

• Pirate

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Santa

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Truffle

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters
So now the big room at the Dungeon entrance is now suitable for only clothier?

Sorry for the long response; No. Any NPC will be able to live within the dungeons, it's just that the Clothier will be the only one becoming insane if he lives at the entrance of the dungeon. For example, the wizard could live in the entrance of the dungeon but will not become insane, the Clothier will.

Where's the "None" option in the poll? Limited selling coins? More mob grinding for more coins, when mobs only give you like 2 silver at most? I think I'll write a list of nope:

- Clentamina-Two? If you already have the first one, why would anybody want another one?
- Nurse healing you after a quest? Sure, make one of the most pointless NPC's cause me misery and pain for something i could do by waiting like 2 minutes.
- Says the Angler is one of the most annoying NPC's, then doesn't change him at all.
- Merchant needs Lucky Coin for infinite coins? Because Lucky coins are just, really, Really, REALLY easy to get for something that he could normally do before.
- Where are ANY upsides for this? Everything you listed is just a pain with no pay-off.
- Reforging revamp? Okay then, want a good Terra-Blade? Go wait for the solar eclipse (which supposedly rarely happens) to happen and to kill like 30 Mothras so your Terra Blade isn't a mediocre piece of trinket. Also, have fun with the Megashark.

Where's the "None" option in the poll? Limited selling coins? More mob grinding for more coins, when mobs only give you like 2 silver at most? I think I'll write a list of nope:

- Clentamina-Two? If you already have the first one, why would anybody want another one?
- Nurse healing you after a quest? Sure, make one of the most pointless NPC's cause me misery and pain for something i could do by waiting like 2 minutes.
- Says the Angler is one of the most annoying NPC's, then doesn't change him at all.
- Merchant needs Lucky Coin for infinite coins? Because Lucky coins are just, really, Really, REALLY easy to get for something that he could normally do before.
- Where are ANY upsides for this? Everything you listed is just a pain with no pay-off.
- Reforging revamp? Okay then, want a good Terra-Blade? Go wait for the solar eclipse (which supposedly rarely happens) to happen and to kill like 30 Mothras so your Terra Blade isn't a mediocre piece of trinket. Also, have fun with the Megashark.

• You don't get two Clentaminator, you transform the one you have and give it more range. Just a little something to give the Cyborg some sort of extra feature, other than selling.
  • Nurse heals you forever after you construct a first aid kit for her, which is a one-time thing. Plus she is nowhere close to the most pointless NPC in the game
  • I also said that he currently serves one of the best purpose in the game. He annoys me because he's supposed to be annoying to players. Like dealing with an arrogant kid.
  • The merchant HAS to get money somewhere, doesn't he? I feel like a Lucky Coin will help him get rich quite easily, thus able to buy everything you sell to him. Also, this suggestion is not to keep him like "before". It's to change the way the merchant operates. Making it so he's the only one without limited coins, once you give him a Lucky Coin, makes him truly the best Merchant, hence his title. He will be the one you sell your general stuff to.
  • More gameplay, for one, another is giving the NPC extra things to do other than One feature and then they become a shop. Also, no pay-off? The dryad's bubble can be upgraded to add 10 more defense, and can cleanse your entire world. The demolitionist can destroy an area on the map by hiring him once you complete his quest of giving him wires and explosives. Santa now actually encourages Holiday Cheers by selling you extra things if you give presents to people.
  • By the point that you have the Terra Blade, you'd be close to the jungle temple, which the monsters in there drops Solar Fragments, which can be put together to make the Solar Tablet that summons a Solar eclipse. But that wouldn't matter cause I feel like the material to reforge the Terra Blade would probably along the lines of Hallowed Ingots or Mythril/Orichalcum. Again, I'm not the guy who balances stuff, I just present my suggestion as it is.
The "None" option in the poll is simply to not vote.

Thanks for your feedbacks, I hope I gave you some extra explanation on the subjects you mentioned.

Why are you trying to suggest a way to make the game harder for new players to find out about all the NPCs, which if you use them, can be a major part in progressing faster.

Changing the way the game is isn't a good suggestion since the game is not even broken. Why try and fix something that's not broken?

Why are you trying to suggest a way to make the game harder for new players to find out about all the NPCs, which if you use them, can be a major part in progressing faster.

Changing the way the game is isn't a good suggestion since the game is not even broken. Why try and fix something that's not broken?

I'm not trying to fix it, I'm trying to improve it. It may seem harder for new players, but knowing the game and how I managed to learn things, they'll do just fine on their own. Even now, nothing is specifically said to you in the game. How are you supposed to get Plantera to spawn? Next to no information is given to you, unless you do some research, which some new players will mostly do before-hand or while they're playing.

The way NPCs are now is not broken, but instead lackluster. This suggestion is to improve their appeal towards new and current players, other than "Hey, you can buy new stuff... and sell stuff to me... yeah."

Reforge Restructure.
Instead of a Prefix Editing multiple stats, buying mods will change the stat of one thing.
Legendary/Unreal/Mythical etc. Is a Prefix that is created when a weapon has a mod for each stat/Maximum Potential

Wizard sells Mods/Reforge for Magical Items and Enchantments for weapons which use magic to alter properties of things
WItch Doctor sells Summoner gear/mods,and Enrichments (basically Enchantments) for weapons
Arms Dealer sells Mods/Reforge for Guns
Cyborg sells mods for Rocket Launchers and whatnot.
Goblin Tinkerer sells random mods for all weapons including Strange Mods that have odd effects.
Demolitionist sells mods for explosives, similar to Cyborg, and can sell some of the same things regarding Rockets, Bombs, Grenades etc.

Investments and Missions To Increase Inventory.
Demolitionist
----------------------
- Craft 100 Sticky Bombs and give them to him and he will begin selling them.
-Using explosives to accomplish certain tasks like defeating enemies or clearing blocks will get you rewards such as:
Bomb Statues, Demo will start selling Bomb Statues. Including Normal, Gold, Slimed, and Platinum.
Normal is the Normal Statue
Gold Bomb Statue: produce Gold Bombs, Which cause more damage and can blow up larger area (Less than Dynamite but more than Normal Bombs.
Slimed: Sticky Bombs
'I blew up a Slime near one of my statues and now all the bombs that it makes are Sticky bombs! '
Platinum: Produces Platinum Bombs, Which are an upgrade of Gold Bombs, Same Blast Radius, but 1 Platinum Bomb will explode, then produce to more Platinum Bombs which will also explode. Like a clusterbomb.

Slimed Statues can be combined with the others to create Sticky Gold and Platinum bombs.

- Gunpowder Barrel
A Barrel that is poured along a path and can be lit to set off an explosion.

-Jerry Can
Can of gasoline, similar to GP Barrel. But can also be poured like a bucket/liquid. Creating a pit of gasoline that can be set on fire and creates a burning pit trap.
Will eventually burn out, floats on water

- Oil Barrel
The upgrade of Jerry Can, the burning oil lasts longer than burning gas, Oil fire does more damage to enemies.

-Fuse Pack
Basically Wire you can burn that can go anywhere it is placed, comes in various types, such as Quick Match, Slow Match, and Waterproofing.

- Red Barrel
A very flammable, very volatile Barrel that can be placed and ignited to create a fire explosion (won't destroy blocks)

-TNT Crate
Like Red barrel but basically used for mining. Crafting recipe unlocked after a mission, and is made from 20 Dynamite and 10 wood.
Is also sold after unclocked.
Causes a large explosion, and destroys many blocks.

- Dynamite Statues
Dynamite versions of the Bomb Statues.
Normal, Slimed, and the Cluster Dynamite (there is no version than causes bigger explosions)

WIzard
----------------
- 100 Fallen Star collection mission, begins selling Fallen Stars.
- Sells Mana Star Statues
- Will randomly carry and sell Potion Ingredients, changes every couple of days.
- At a certain point you will also take missions where you use Experiemental Strange Potions which will have Strange Effects. Buffs and Debuffs.
one will turn you into a Toad, the Wizard will be extremely apologetic and start trying to work on a cure however someone may be available to help sooner ... which then brings you to...

Witch Doctor and Dryad
-------------------------------------
- their missions are usually related to each other.
- Talking to the Witch Doctor in Toad Form will being missions to Turn Back.
- After doing so the Dryad will offer to teach you to connect with nature, which starts missions which lead to unlocking Druid Class Items.
- Will be gifted/starts selling Items that transform you into different Critters, allowing you to play as different ones.
- Witch Doctor will teach you how to transform into Enemy Mobs, such as zombies and such.
- You learn this Transformation magic and at the end you unlock the ability to turn Enemies into different Enemies or Critters.
- Turning enemies will affect their drops (obviously) Turning enemies into Critters counts as defeating them, and they will drop whatever they would normally when they transform.

<suggestion>

Most of these are simply better off as their own suggestions, and not part of this one. I've added your idea of the Wizard selling potion ingredients and fallen stars, although I made it so the stars are not infinite and quite limited. I also think that your reforging ideas of enchantments and mods to put on weapons would be better for an entire new suggestion, like I said before. This is to make it so reforging is no longer random, but instead requires extra material to temper the weapon; not to completely revamp it.

Thanks for your feedbacks, go look in the Wizard's category for the changes that I've added!

I heard that Broken Slime staff is good for farming gold, how do I get it?

You're right, I completely forgot about this. Well, look at the end of the Goblin Tinkerer category to see what I've added, however the Broken modifier will now be what it seems; a broken weapon, impossible to use or greatly reduces their damage. Annoying will be the worst usable modifier with this.

Thanks for reminding me! Go look at the end of the Goblin Tinkerer category.

I think you forgot the Traveling Merchant.
I like a few ideas and dislike a few.
Favorite: Dryad's 2nd quest.
Dislike: This game is supposed to be a sandbox, do whatever you want kind of game. Adding so many quests ruins the sandbox feel.

Guide is supposed to help completely new players with his tips, like telling them what can thay do with pickaxe etc.

No.

Merchant was always used (especially in pre-hardmode) to quickly get full stack of torches, arrows or potions, it will be really annoying to be forced to wait those 6 minutes every time I want to prepare for some boss fight, increasing the amount of money he needs to move in also won't help much.

It seems this whole idea's goal is to make early-game even slower and more annoying, nuff said.

Also making NPCs not buying certain stuff is nothing but annoying, It have no practical use besides making me run to merchant everytime I want to trade, instead of making it with the nearest NPC out there...

Nah, can't she just sell us some magical purification machine or whatever, I mean, we already sacrificed the Guide to make our world look like a mess, It would make our character look like even bigger douchebag.

No. I just want to use my gun without worrying about another super-annoying quest, just please, have mercy, man.

Too much effort.

Yeah, what about my Beam Sword, Chain Guilotines Blue Moon Starfury (the list could be too long)

Another annoying and unnecessary change.

Now I'm going to get some teleporters and asphalt so the Mechanical bosses won't even touch me.

Again, too much effort for some not so important change.

So, about the whole thread, It would be nothing but annoying and boring, making me mess with NPCs just to make them sell me something, and I wouldn't probably even trade with them, just burn them with lava because of my growing hatred.

I think you're right :(

I don't see any of these changes happening as they all makes things slower and longer in pre hard mode. And if you are like me pre hard mode is already long enough, especially when in expert mode.

Changed my mind. I only support Dryad sacrifice and more clentaminator range and giving gold to pirate to make golden furnitures.

UPDATES:
  • Truffle has entered the scene.
  • Some minor changes has been made.
  • Santa's "goodwill" levels has been simplified.

I know I said this was the final "stage" of this suggestion, ending at Santa. But I just had this random idea how on Truffle can benefit from this suggestion. He is now an NPC which takes time to fully earn, just like how a Fungi requires time to be at its final form. Now you have to grow a Growing Truffle which is a 50% chance of spawning from a Glowing Mushroom on a surface mushroom biome. Then you need to place the Growing Truffle on the ground and will eventually grow into Truffle.

Look at the Truffle's category for the full thing. Thanks to all for the support!

Okay, while I do like some aspects of this, a lot of this seems like unnecessary effort. I'll just list what I have to say in order of the NPCs presented in your post.

The Guide should spawn in at the beginning as he already does. 3 minutes into the game, I'll most likely be passing through the corruption or jungle. If he spawns next to me, he'll probably die. Of course, the Guide helps beginners mostly. But that only supports the fact he should spawn in the beginning. What would the beginners do for the first three minutes? If the Guide was already there, he could get them to build a house much sooner. The Voodoo doll should remain the same. I don't see a reason it needs to be changed. It can teach a new player how the doll works, and if they haven't thrown it into lava already, it might give them that idea, especially if the Guide tells them about the "living sacrifice". It also provides an easy way to kill Andrew for his hat. While it's not many reasons to have it, there's not many reasons to remove it, either.

I shouldn't have to build a bigger house for the Merchant. From a beginner's perspective, they would build a house for the merchant, the merchant would move in, and then tell them to build a bigger house. I like all my NPC houses to be the same, because it bugs me if they aren't. I think the merchant's stock should be 2 stacks by default and 4 stacks during Hardmode ('cause, you know, magic quiver.), if not infinite. Most of these items are extremely easy to obtain, so there's no need to be strict on their limit. As for the other vendors, they should still buy everything, but they would pay less than the Merchant (10% instead of 20%) if the item is not related to them. If you want some realism behind that, think of it like the NPC is paying less for an item and selling it to the Merchant later for profit. Also, this wasn't made clear in your post, but I think their money supply should increase if you buy something.

The Nurse should remain unchanged, as she is important throughout the entire game and doesn't need the extra attention. Plus, I find the quest just plain tedious. Its only purpose is to make the game slightly more "realistic", but I don't think that's necessary. If I can carry thousands of bombs, she can carry a bag. Everyone gets hammerspace! While the random buff idea seems nice, that kind of decreases the demand for potions, making the Wizard's ingredients less valuable, and it can easily be exploited with intentional damage. Besides, the Dryad provides a defense buff anyways, so I keep her near the Nurse as it is.

I like the Dye Trader's changes. It provides a use for an extra magic mirror (No matter how many friends I'm playing with, I always find at least on extra) as well as reversing those multicolored dyes to get just the right color for me when I'm designing an outfit.

I don't really like the Demolitionist's changes. The ability to blow things up is complicated and easily exploited if you think about it. How will these areas be marked? What blocks can be destroyed? As it is, I do not believe there is a way for the game to tell the difference between player-placed blocks and natural blocks. What if some jerk on a server hired a demolitionist to blow up your house? There was a reason Clowns were nerfed. The contract failing seems tedious. The Demolitionist's stock should just increase when the Merchant is alive. At most, an interaction with the Demolitionist followed by an interaction with the Merchant should be required.
I don't think he should sell ores. However, I do think he should sell silt (and possibly fossils in hardmode?) to be processed in an Extractinator.

I think the Dryad's changes should be modified as well. I need nature blocks? Okay, sure. *Plops 10 Living Wood on her ceiling* Done! Her buff should be affected by the balance of H/C/P in the world. This should also reflect her judgement of the world. If at least 20% of the world is C, and there is more C than Hallow, her power will begin to weaken. She will grow weaker the more C is in the world. Hallow will negate some of the negative effects. If the world is in balance, her power will return to normal. If the world is at least 15% Hallowed, and there is more Hallow than C, the player will also receive a small increase in regeneration. This regen boost will strengthen as the amount of Hallow grows. In hardmode, the amount of Purity in relation to H/C affects how long the buff will last. 0% purity is 2 seconds, 10% is 3, 20% is 4, and so on. This is doubled if there is no C in the world. If the world is completely pure, the buff will last 24 seconds, but there will be no regen (As there would be no Hallow). By controlling the amount of Hallow, you could balance the duration and relation to regen strength.
I don't really like the idea of the Ultimate Sacrifice. There really isn't a good way to balance that sort of thing. I don't like the idea of the Dryad only appearing at night or Solar Eclipses (When NPCs are most likely to die), either. Instead, the Dryad, when given the souls and luminite, should slow or stop biome spread, similar to how the spread slows when you kill Plantera. She should also remain alive. This would only work in a world where all bosses are defeated. Also, "Souls of Delight" are not necessary, because there's luminite. There's no need to add an extra drop that's only used for one purpose that can only be done once that another drop from the same creature is already fulfilling.

As for the Arms Dealer, he shouldn't require the Nurse to be in a house, because he was also hitting on the Dryad. The quest item shouldn't be a strange plant, life crystal, fireblossom, shortsword, or frog cage, and should change every day. The sword, fireblossom and crystal contrast greatly in difficulty, even though the crystal would make sense. Frog cage... don't know why the Nurse would want a frog. The strange plant is already a quest item, so it doesn't need to be used for another quest. I think the Arms Dealer should have multiple quests. The first would unlock reforging. The second, which WOULD require a heart crystal, would unlock Illegal Gun Parts (I was thinking about incorporating the Diamond ring in a different quest, but the Arms Dealer doesn't have anything that valuable to offer).

The Insanity Meter for the Clothier seems nice in concept, but it's actually pretty unnecessary. The reason the curse reappears when you use a voodoo doll is because the doll is imbued with cursed energies from the dungeon. Plus, the Insanity Meter would be difficult for a beginner to figure out. Even if the player does, what if they build a house at the entrance of the dungeon? The Cultists wouldn't spawn, and the player would have no clue what to do after the golem. Cultists are very picky.

Holding back easily-available triggers until you accomplish a tedious and pointless task makes no sense. Not only is the dungeon filled with pressure plates and switches, but the quest is completely unnecessary. Think about it: A player is asked to use 100-300 wire-related objects. What does the player do? Walk outside, place 100-300 wires, break them, and return. See how pointless that was? There's not too much use for wires until you get teleporters, unless you go out of your way to build farming structures (Usually, the most I build is a couple wires for a slime statue farm. I know the minion's not very strong, but I got it once in my first playthrough back in 1.2.1.2, it helped me beat skeletron, and I grew attached to it).

The Goblin Tinker shouldn't require 5 accessories to spawn. That would be fine if you didn't have to look for him (And I'm not implying that you shouldn't), but it doesn't seem right as it is. I don't think the reforging should take materials, because that can get too complicated and tedious. "Breaking" shouldn't be an option, and the Broken modifier should remain the same. What if the player starts with a broken tool? However, I do think the reforging should be less randomized. Perhaps the modifiers shouldn't be allowed to rise/drop so quickly? The Workshop buff is nice, but I don't think it should be there.

I love the Wizard's ability to sell ingredients, but I don't think he should sell stars. In hardmode, the amount of stars I usually pick up increases, and my use for them decreases. It takes me only a few in-game days to make a skybridge out of platforms, and the stars really pile up. I've gotten 99 just making the bridge.

The Steampunker should not appear until a Mech has been killed. In fact, she shouldn't sell teleporters until all 3 have been defeated. The solution location just seems unnecessary. I try my best to keep these NPCs together. I think the items required to make this "Clen2minator" should be Iron/Lead and Souls. The player should already have a supply of these materials, especially if they're farming mechs. Also, +5 range is a negligible buff. I think it should have a wider spread, making it less likely to miss some blocks.

While players with a Witch Doctor would most likely have a Dryad, requiring a Dryad for the fountains to work doesn't make much sense and hardly seems intuitive. Other than that, I'm fine with these changes.

The Pirate's fine, but does the invasion change remain increased, or does it return to normal after the quest?

"This can only be done every in-game days" I'm just going to assume you mean every day until I'm told otherwise. I having nothing to say about this suggestion, as it seems fine as it is.

I think the glowing truffle should spawn in any mushroom biome (surface or underground) once you have a surface mushroom house, just to make it a bit more challenging. Surface mushroom biomes are usually a bit small compared to their underground counterparts. Also, this suggestion seems to have a lot of waiting. The Truffle should sell his items as soon as he grows up. He shouldn't leave for a few days, either. The player should unlock items depending on how many glowing mushrooms he gives the Truffle, with the pet being unlocked last. The requirements for the items should stay however (Autohammer should still require Plantera's death, and so on).

Due to his short appearance, the Travelling Merchant's stock should be infinite, but he should have limited money. Also, he should buy anything. I think that's all I have to say about him.

Closing words: Well, I probably just wasted about 2 hours of my life, but it was worth it. Overall, this suggestion made a nice effort to improve the interaction between the player and NPCs. The grammar could be better (By the way, "vacate" means to leave :p). Also, the banner suggests it focuses on interaction between NPCs, so that could be changed. And the Dye Trader shows up twice on it.

Last edited:
I really appreciate that you are trying to make improvements to Terraria! A lot of the time NPCs seem irrelevant, and I like your idea to make them a little more important, but I don't think giving them quests is the best way to do it. Heck, I don't think it's even a good way to do it. Terraria to me is a great game because it's a complete sandbox; you choose your destiny and anything you want to do next. I feel like having quests like the ones proposed take away from the ability to choose anywhere you want to go that makes Terraria Terraria. And to be honest, Terraria is about your player. It's never really been about the NPCs, as exemplified by the fact that you have to kill the Guide to proceed and you're encouraged to kill all the others to get their weapons. I feel like having more knowledgable dialogue with the NPCs where they talk about things happening in the world (meteorites, bosses killed, biomes nearby, relations to other NPCs) would be enough to make NPCs' interactions more immersive. Let me know what you think! I really do think you've done a good job organizing your thoughts though and gathering a following :happy:

I absolutely love it! I can tell you put a lot of time and effort in to your post and support it to the fullest!

Back
Top Bottom