Augmented TCF - A Chrome Extension & FireFox Add-on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm I can't seem to enable the addon using the Nightly build (it simply won't let me), all it shows is a 'Find a replacement' button.

Hmm I can't seem to enable the addon using the Nightly build (it simply won't let me), all it shows is a 'Find a replacement' button.
If your nightly build is v57+, then this won't work any longer. No add-on that has not transitioned to Web Extensions will continue to work.

The Legacy tag for all the addons is only to give warning that they will stop working once v57 is out.

If your nightly build is v57+, then this won't work any longer. No add-on that has not transitioned to Web Extensions will continue to work.

The Legacy tag for all the addons is only to give warning that they will stop working once v57 is out.
Yeah Nightly is on 57.0 atm, I can't wait for this add-on to update :D

So, we're a few days from official release of Firefox 57 - wondering if there's any news on compatibility for this?

All my other essential add-ons have an update available, but I'll hold out on updating until this one is ready.

*downloads extension and goes back to TCF*

"Where's the effect I read earlier?"

*reloads*

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT?????!!!!!"

Well, this is pretty cool. Great job my dude. It brings something new to TCF, which is always nice.

Well, after hearing how much much performance improved with the Quantum engine, I disconnected/deleted my Firefox account (to prevent unintentional syncing) and updated my Win10 laptop to Firefox 57 (and yes, the performance improvement is quite noticeable). Still have 56.0.2 on my Win7 desktop.

And with a little finagling, I got ATCF working in FF57. At least the main things I depended on work: the floating top menu and the tab alert notifications. I can't vouch for every feature working. Please view this as a temporary, potentially risky work-around until Everest can find time to make an official Firefox version.

FAIR WARNING: do this at your own risk, I only know this worked for me
  1. Be running Firefox v57 or later,
  2. From the Mozilla addon site, install this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chrome-store-foxified/?src=userprofile You might want to read through the description of what this extension does and why it might work
  3. Navigate to the Chrome extension site (yes, Chrome) and search there for 'augmented tcf'. The link is here. Note that at the top right is an option for 'Add to Firefox'. Click that.
  4. You now get a page with this on it:
    atcf.PNG
  5. What I did: Click the Save to Disk / Unsigned option, which will save the converted extension as 'Augmented TCF-1.2.10.xpi' in the location you choose. Remember where you saved it.
  6. Now open a new tab and enter this in the address bar: 'about:debugging' To the right at the top of the resulting page, you'll see a button labeled 'Load Temporary Add-On'. Click that, and navigate to where you saved that .xpi file in the previous step. Select it and click OK.
  7. This will attempt to load the extension. If you now go to TCF / refresh the page, it should be 'working'. You may see a few messages that appear to be errors, I just ignored them.
  8. You may well have to reload this manually every time you restart your browser. (eta: yes, you do). Just go back to 'about:debugging', and below the listing for Augmented TCF, there's a Reload button. Click that. Or repeat step 6.

Again, I don't really know why/how any of this works, and I have no idea how to help anyone trying to debug any of the features that I don't use.

Last edited:
I don't really know why/how any of this works

It works because Firefox supports the APIs behind the chrome extension now (WebExtensions = chrome extensions api in firefox).

As for the status of ATCF v2, I'm putting on.. uh, hold. I'd use hiatus but I really hate that word because projects die when people use that word and I truly am committed to working on ATCF, it just doesn't fit with my current life agenda right now.

Essentially, I'm working on a different project right now (and every time I open that project up, I see ATCF, so don't think I'm forgetting ATCF; I'm not <3) and barely even have time for that.

Again, disliking clichés, I don't want to say that the reason I'm busy is school, but I'd be a liar otherwise. To be fair, it's more-so the 4 to 5 clubs I'm participating in, plus classes that extend after school, and then the extra AP tests I'm going to take without their classes. I kind of brought it on, honestly.

So I'm definitely in a bad spot. I'm hoping to finish this project some time this school year, then shift focus back to ATCF--not to say that it'll be fast, my current project only gets commits (work done on it) during weekends as is. Can't wait to get to work on it, just don't expect it to be done soon.

In the meantime, I'm open to suggestions by far. Knowing me, I'll go against everything I just said and might spend 4 sleepless nights hacking away at ATCF v2 at some random point in time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Sorry for the long, seemingly endless wait. Bear with me through it, though, and something great should hopefully follow <3.

Edit: It's unlikely anyone's going to see this edit, but it's hard to put into words how amazing it feels to see some large names on these forums simply (usually) silently acknowledge every one of my posts in this thread. Thanks for the continuous support, y'all.

Last edited:
According to that extenstions's description, it has been discontinued. I never seem to get as far as that popup you screenshotted. Do you know of any other workarounds, or do I just have to live without it after my recent move?
I don't know, unfortunately. I used that extension just the once - to create the Firefox-compatible file. I've been loading that file every time I restart my browser since then, and it still works for me.

Let me see if there is any identifying information (for me personally) in that file that was created. If not, I'll upload it here for people to try (completely at your own risk). All I use it for is the floating navigation bar (but I'm very attached to that feature).

When we get to our eventual forum software updates, I would be kind of surprised if this extension continued to work at all, unless Everest or someone else modifies it to keep working.

eta: after a quick check with Darthmorf, it seems to work for him. So here it is, completely without any guarantees.

1. I do not know how to make Firefox extensions myself.

2. This works for me, and I make NO CLAIM that it will work for anyone else.

3. I did not put anything in this to make it a virus or malware. If something on your computer

warns you that this is a virus or malware, then you have a choice to make. If you believe your

computer, then you should stop reading this and remove this download; you're done.

4. USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Again, I make NO CLAIM that this will work for you or that it will

NOT do something undesirable to your browser, computer, etc. If you have any worries or doubts

that this is something to be wary of, then you should stop reading this and remove this download;

you're done.

5. You may see error messages or warnings from Mozilla when you attempt to use this .XPI file. If

you are at all concerned about those messages and warnings, then you should stop reading this and

remove this download; you're done.

6. If you don't know how to use zip archives or how to extract the .XPI file to use it, don't ask

me about it. You should probably stop right here and remove the download; you're done.

7. I will not be responsible if you try this and it breaks something. I will not provide any

support for this, or help you if you get into trouble. You are completely on your own after this

point.

<Feb 13 2023 attachment removed, no longer works or is relevant>

Last edited:
Let me see if there is any identifying information (for me personally) in that file that was created. If not, I'll upload it here for people to try (completely at your own risk). All I use it for is the floating navigation bar (but I'm very attached to that feature).

I checked the contents of your .xpi, and it is indeed void of any personal information. It should indeed work fine for others. :happy:

When we get to our eventual forum software updates, I would be kind of surprised if this extension continued to work at all, unless Everest or someone else modifies it to keep working.

Depends on how updated the forum software is going. A rule of thumb for this is: if the base theme looks like the current version, it'll keep working; if it doesn't look similar, it probably won't work. A change in the software's appearance essentially tells of a change in the underlying structure.

In other news, I'd be absolutely elated to work on this again--the current version isn't exactly something I'd say I'm proud saying I created :confused:. My biggest holdup is that I don't know what features people want and which ones I'm safe leaving out. I'd love to hear from users (@darthmorf: you especially !!) on this front. I still wanna keep this ol' machine running smoothly and robustly :D

(I'd also be a fan of a shiny new icon, but something tells me I'll have to pull out my non-existent art skills on that one)

3. I did not put anything in this to make it a virus or malware. If something on your computer warns you that this is a virus or malware, then you have a choice to make. If you believe your computer, then you should stop reading this and remove this download; you're done.

I'm happy to second this. All code & files in the archive I downloaded (md5 5659ed9cab2bbe4aa6a86d4d55d816fd) appears completely unmodified, and thus the same as that which was uploaded to the extension stores.

I checked the contents of your .xpi, and it is indeed void of any personal information. It should indeed work fine for others. :happy:

Depends on how updated the forum software is going. A rule of thumb for this is: if the base theme looks like the current version, it'll keep working; if it doesn't look similar, it probably won't work. A change in the software's appearance essentially tells of a change in the underlying structure.

In other news, I'd be absolutely elated to work on this again--the current version isn't exactly something I'd say I'm proud saying I created :confused:. My biggest holdup is that I don't know what features people want and which ones I'm safe leaving out. I'd love to hear from users (@darthmorf: you especially !!) on this front. I still wanna keep this ol' machine running smoothly and robustly :D

(I'd also be a fan of a shiny new icon, but something tells me I'll have to pull out my non-existent art skills on that one)

I'm happy to second this. All code & files in the archive I downloaded (md5 5659ed9cab2bbe4aa6a86d4d55d816fd) appears completely unmodified, and thus the same as that which was uploaded to the extension stores.
Awesome to see revived interest!

For me, the most important feature by far was the floating header. I was looking to see if I could manage to make it work with some CSS wizardry in the meantime but I couldn't get it to only float at the top of the page if the user was scrolled down enough to need it, so I abandoned that idea...

The warn on unsubmitted content is useful too, as well as the custom emoticon tab (maybe users would find it useful to have a link to the emoticon creator tool there too?).

Aside from those three, I can't say I used much else, though the style tweaks are good too have but are less obvious.

I'm also happy to help you with a new icon for the extension, and beta testing too if it's needed!

I know someone wanted a character counter for profile posts. I could see that being a useful feature people would want.
There's already a character counter for own profile posts, but profile post on other's profile and comments don't have it because of the larger limit. (420)

Regardless, I do see an use of it for the 420 limit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom