Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, would have wish something was said more about Engine. Gave a weird "we're too good for you" vibe, "ditching the old and going for new" so it seems. Sounds a bit harsh and vague for a company you guys worked so long with.

Sucks for the guys who actually really enjoyed working with you guys, feelsbadman.

Edit: Yeah, no. Found out what Engine has actually done with the game, glad they got ditched.

Last edited:
the music producers are the same?

We have no plans to replace the folks doing the music for Otherworld. I mean, anything can happen, but we have been pretty happy with their work to-date.

So what's their on-point proposal? :D

Obviously, that is confidential. However, let's just say that they had an instinctual sense for "Terraria-ness" as well as what Otherworld needs to hit that mark and then exceed it by accomplishing the vision that we laid out initially. Further more in-depth discussions have only served to increase confidence in this.

Really sad it's fallen behind so much -- but I understand given everything that's going on. Thanks for the update.

As for the radio silence. IDK if you guys have NDAs specifically locking down your tongues this badly, but it may be worth loosening some of the stipulations of those agreements so that the community could get more tidbits every so often -- even if it is really basic things such as "We've fallen behind and are changing out staff". Or not -- we don't need to know everything anyways, it's ultimately up to you.

*I* often associate dev silence like this with very large problems (like game will be cancelled kind of problems). I didn't think T:OW was in any kind of real trouble, but I can see how the silence might cause some anxiety around the game.

Very nice to hear that development will continue.

So is it safe to assume T:OW won't be ready for a 2017 release?

As for the radio silence. IDK if you guys have NDAs specifically locking down your tongues this badly, but it may be worth loosening some of the stipulations of those agreements so that the community could get more tidbits every so often -- even if it is really basic things such as "We've fallen behind and are changing out staff". Or not -- we don't need to know everything anyways, it's ultimately up to you.

In this instance, we preferred to be able to give you an actual future solution vs just "Engine are no longer involved", which would have led to all kinds of even worse crazy speculation (including "its cancelled!?!?!") than the silence did. Catch-22, really, exacerbated by how long things like this take to pull together, get proposals, look them over, ask questions, negotiate stuff and things, etc, etc.

We can only hope that people can understand the rationale behind that.

So is it safe to assume T:OW won't be ready for a 2017 release?

I would place that in the highly unlikely category, given the full scope of things. We will not be touching any release estimates until we know WAY more. :)

So, this means that EVERYTHING will be redone?

You're keeping music I guess since you're most likely not switching the composers. But what about code, sound effects and visuals? Will you re-do all of them or keep some of them/good portion of them?

In this instance, we preferred to be able to give you an actual future solution vs just "Engine are no longer involved", which would have led to all kinds of even worse crazy speculation (including "its cancelled!?!?!") than the silence did. Catch-22, really, exacerbated by how long things like this take to pull together, get proposals, look them over, ask questions, negotiate stuff and things, etc, etc.

We can only hope that people can understand the rationale behind that.
Would development consider a small compromise (when development starts moving forward full steam again)? Perhaps a "Happenings in T:OW Development" once per week, bi-weekly, or monthly? Small-Medium posts pending time frame and available info. Maybe a screenshot or 2?

I know I would have been satisfied with a post showcasing some concept (art)work or explaining design decisions if no concrete development info were available to tide me over to the next juicy news bit.

I would place that in the highly unlikely category, given the full scope of things. We will not be touching any release estimates until we know WAY more. :)
I expected as much.

Will the game still have Tower Defense and "cleansing the world" mechanics? Or will the fundamentals of what was initially proposed be changing? Or is it too soon or too private to share that info (yet)?

You're keeping music I guess since you're most likely not switching the composers. But what about code, sound effects and visuals? Will you re-do all of them or keep some of them/good portion of them?

Not necessarily. Just that everything will be closely examined versus the expectations set by the core vision of the game. If it already works/fits? Great. If not, then sure... it will be revisited/redone/tweaked/whatever.

Would development consider a small compromise (when development starts moving forward full steam again)? Perhaps a "Happenings in T:OW Development" once per week, bi-weekly, or monthly? Small-Medium posts pending time frame and available info. Maybe a screenshot or 2?

Already discussing ways to help you guys come along on the journey with the team(s). Stay tuned there. ;)

I'll recreate the first T:eek:W logo in my first ever world. It was too good for this one it seems.
(Also I plan on grappling and swinging from it so it also has a practical purpose of being fun)
Any other people here have plans on what they'll do when getting the game?

Unless there's something wrong with the code, I don't think that's something that'd need to be rebuilt. Console and Mobile being rebuilt is a result of just that; unsatisfactory code and quality. If similar has happened to Otherworld, they might be redoing code, but I don't know if that's been a problem there.

Was this the amazing contract Cenx mentioned on twitter?
This is what I'd like to know! That tweet's been keeping me morbidly curious for too long now! Any word on this?

Woop woop! Nice to see new news for Otherworld. Good luck on finshing this thing!

I understand that sometimes we need to take a step back in order to see the bigger picture, and what needs to be done. Sorry about the setback, but I'm glad you're making some moves in the direction you all want to go in. This is why I still trust you :dryadsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom