Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think it's too soon to give up hope. Who knows? Yoraiz0r might save the day! :dryadgrin:
I'm not giving up hope either. :dryadgrin:

I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression from my posts. Other than an act of god or 505 Games going bankrupt (this is EXTREMELY unlikely, 505 is doing very well porting PC games to consoles), T:OW will be released. It may take years before we see it, but I'm confident the project isn't dead or vaporware.

Pipeworks is the developer making the port for patch 1.3 and onward for consoles, and developing Terraria: Otherworld. 505 Games is the publisher for all the versions of Terraria on just about every platform but PC.
505 also made some pretty sick music which I wish was in the PC version.
[doublepost=1505395116,1505394885][/doublepost]
I get that but you've gotta remember a couple of things.
  1. The video in question came out before the change in developers and the current reevaluation of the game.
  2. The reevaluation could mean a change in the target platforms from what they originally planned.
I'm not saying Pipeworks and Relogic can't pull this off, but they are almost starting from square one. Things could change, or the entire project could die for reasons beyond the developer's control. Until we get some kind of official announcements all we can do is wait.
I hope they don't change too much, because the soundtrack and art leaked so far has been tremendous.

So can anyone tell me exactly what Otherworld is?

Is it just a newer, better looking Terraria? Or is it a completely different type of game?
Does anyone other than Re-Logic or Pipeworks even know any more.

Originally it was simply Terraria with a Tower Defense element tagged on and it seemed no-one knew how the two elements would work together.
Perhaps this is one of the reasons for the appalling progress and ultimate collapse of the original version, perhaps it was a lack of vision or ability?

T:OW by the very definition of its name must be something different from the flagship title that spawned it. It must be some OTHER WORLD.
Not simply a group of new biomes where the player does exactly the same as they did in Terraria, this would merely be T.2.

Supposition is pointless, but one hopes the eventual release will show how a successful title can be taken in fresh and exciting directions when a professional team with true skill and clarity of vision are at the helm.

T:OW by the very definition of its name must be something different from the flagship title that spawned it. It must be some OTHER WORLD.
Not simply a group of new biomes where the player does exactly the same as they did in Terraria, this would merely be T.2.

This irks me.

The fact that the look is different is enough to satisfy the conditions set in place by the name.

IF one was willing to split enough hairs to consider what the creators of wanted to name the sequel a rule for how the game should be designed, that is.

Is there news? Where?
Probably referring to the Beta Tester Application news that recently showed up... funnily enough it didn't actually seem to specify what the Beta Testing was actually FOR... which makes me wonder if the News wants people to assume it's for T:OW... to what end, we can only wonder... :dryadtongue:

Could also be that TerraMine just saw the original post and commented on it, I didn't even know there was a TOW game in progress until earlier this year. But for a correct answer you'd have to ask him.

Hello Otherworld developers. I would like to say thank you for the news on how Otherworld is going and I would like to throw an idea out there that may deeply help the development of Otherworld. I would highly suggest a alpha launch of this to the public for multiple reasons. One of them is about any new feature of Otherworld, if you go to deeply into a new feature that players don't like you can quickly get rid of it before to much effort goes into it, this will save time, money, and make quality. Another reason for the early release should be that the public should have a part in deciding what the game should have. This will hopefully allow for quality adjustments that people will like or at least feel that they had a part in. Thanks!

Hello Otherworld developers. I would like to say thank you for the news on how Otherworld is going and I would like to throw an idea out there that may deeply help the development of Otherworld. I would highly suggest a alpha launch of this to the public for multiple reasons. One of them is about any new feature of Otherworld, if you go to deeply into a new feature that players don't like you can quickly get rid of it before to much effort goes into it, this will save time, money, and make quality. Another reason for the early release should be that the public should have a part in deciding what the game should have. This will hopefully allow for quality adjustments that people will like or at least feel that they had a part in. Thanks!

What news have you seen that outlined how the project is "going"?
All features will be tested by professional in-house game testers and potentially some external testers to bring an unbiased opinion. I seriously doubt the general public will be requested to "test" new features.
After all the time (4 years) that has been spent on this title I think that Re-Logic and Pipeworks are more than capable of handling the development process without throwing it into the public arena, which would only create the kind of discussions about who likes what and why that is not needed at this point in time.
You don't go into the kitchen in a restaurant and ask to taste your food before it is brought to your table.
Same applies here.
You wait for the finished product and if there are things about it that you don't like, then unfortunately that's life. You can't please all the people, all the time.

What news have you seen that outlined how the project is "going"?
All features will be tested by professional in-house game testers and potentially some external testers to bring an unbiased opinion. I seriously doubt the general public will be requested to "test" new features.
After all the time (4 years) that has been spent on this title I think that Re-Logic and Pipeworks are more than capable of handling the development process without throwing it into the public arena, which would only create the kind of discussions about who likes what and why that is not needed at this point in time.
You don't go into the kitchen in a restaurant and ask to taste your food before it is brought to your table.
Same applies here.
You wait for the finished product and if there are things about it that you don't like, then unfortunately that's life. You can't please all the people, all the time.
Don't take his post so bad, I'm sure it comes from a place of genuine support for the devs. I think it's a by product of the early access phenomenon. It's now common place for fans to expect to be included in the development process through either early builds or just a really strong social media presence. The expectations are just too high anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom