Casual Favourite Quotes?

"Here about the contract... Really got an imp problem? Or is that jus an imp-erfection in the notice?" - Geralt of Rivia //Witcher 3

"One, two, five!... three!" = King Arthur //Monty Python

img-thing

Smaug: Impressive. What else do you claim to be?
Bilbo Baggins: L-Luck-Wearer... R-Riddle-Maker...
Smaug: Lovely titles... Go on.
Bilbo Baggins: Barrel-Rider!
Smaug: Barrels! Now that is interesting!

"If Love can kill people, then surely Hate can save people" -Altena

"...If you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"More than anything else... I can't be a hero who saves the universe. I couldn't quite abandon myself enough for that. Because I'm selfish. I want people to thank me when I help them, and I get proud of it..." -Yumina Midori:red:a

"I'll stomp you and carry out my real duty... The duty to save those poor schmucks who had the bad luck to be born human!" -Jimenez

"It is right that what is just should be obeyed. It is necessary that what is strongest should be obeyed." -Blaise Pascal

"Admiration is the furthest thing from Understanding" -Sosuke Aizen

"You forget the way to Hell?" -Akane Takeda

-You, you see this? It's midget Ganandorf. And then you kill him with the clawshot!
-Do you guys get together at night, like EVERY night, so if I start streaming or something, you guys find the most violent ways possible to break into my stream?
-Green. It's the color of leaves, the color of grass. It's the color you see every day, unless you live where I live, where you just see...white and dead things.
-It's covered in death!
-I agree 130% with you. Actually...I AGREE MUCH MORE! THIS GAME IS BEAUTIFUL!!!
-I know you're sick and everything, so I'm trying to make you laugh because laughter is the best medicine. And eat your broccoli.
-I'm NOT gonna say yoloswag! Oh wait, I just did. DAMMIT!
-I CALL SHENANIGANS!!!!!
-...a cloud as deep as the sea and dark as midnight rose slowly skyward SWORD
-I hate Ganondorf? I HEART GANONDORF!!!
-WHY IS SAMUS A HEDGEHOG
-I really like talking to people in chat. I like talking to them so much I installed a cannon to shoot myself in the face if I miss any chat messages.
-:red2:AAAAAAA
-I mustarded my Okami!
-TWITCHING
-Punch him in the faaaaaace!
-I'd like to hear you singing in a field 200 miles away from where I live.
-I think I have a blue fork in my eye
-MY EYES ARE BLEEDING RAINBOWS

"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have."
-Tom Hildern, Fallout: New Vegas

Every day I wish this wasn't a quote from a videogame. Every :red:ing day.
Good one, isn't it? How do you do; I'm the Internet Wish Fairy and your wish has been granted. Pardon the glitter points, they can be brushed off easily and are recyclable.

While the form you quote is from a video game, it's a restatement of, or variation on, a sentiment that's been expressed by many thinkers through the years — centuries? — and solidified into scientific form by Dunning and Kruger. Here's a link to the latter, and three of the most popular English statements of the principle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst / Are full of passionate intensity."
— W.B. Yeats, 1920, The Second Coming

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
— Bertrand Russell, 1933, The Triumph of Stupidity

"But the problem is that bad writers tend to have the self-confidence, while the good ones tend to have self-doubt."
— Charles Bukowski, 1989, interview in "Arete" literary journal

For disentangling the web of correct and incorrect attributions, I'm indebted to the author of Quote Investigator for this page: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/03/04/self-doubt/

Here's an actual quote that applies to many people, in the form I most recently heard it in:
"Fear? Is that French?"
Yep. Some story characters don't know what the word 'fear' means, in a literal sense. I'm sure we've heard that before.

This is from when Spongebob used to be good:

Chocolate! CHOCOLATE! CHOOOCOLAAATE! CHHOOOOCCOOLLAATTE!!
-Green Fish

“ He-llo? Could you say that again?
More slowly?
In a language I understand?
Depending on what you said, I might kick your :red:! ”
- Jonathan Joestar, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

"'And there came a hero who said, "Hurt not the earth, nor the seas, nor the trees, nor the very fabric of time." But the hero would not prevail'".
"Finish the quote, Megatron. 'Nor would he surrender!'"
Megatron and Optimus Primal, Nemesis Part 2

"Fairy Tales do not teach children that monsters exist. They already know monsters exist. Fairy tales teach children monsters can be killed."
G.K. Chesterton

"
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence"
Dinobot (Also Hamlet, as this is a paraphrasing of a quote from Hamlet), Code of Hero

"The question that once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own. And yet, how ironic... for I now find that I have no choice at all! I am a warrior... let the battle be joined."
Dinobot, Code of Hero

"Jesus this,
Moses that,
Abraham hit me with a whiffle ball bat"
- Lil Nicky

My preacher actually said this at a sermon one time XD

"Repeating myself is a waste of energy, and I hate that." -Giorno Giovanni, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
“Suppose that you were sitting down at this table.
The napkins are in front of you, which napkin would you take?
The one on your ‘left’? Or the one on your ‘right’? The one on your left side? Or the one on your right side?
Usually you would take the one on your left side. That is ‘correct’ too. But in a larger sense on society, that is wrong.
Perhaps I could even substitute ‘society’ with the ‘Universe’. The correct answer is that ‘It is determined by the one who takes his or her own napkin first.’ …Yes? If the first one takes the napkin to their right, then there’s no choice but for others to also take the ‘right’ napkin. The same goes for the left.
Everyone else will take the napkin to their left, because they have no other option. This is ‘society’… Who are the ones that determine the price of land first? There must have been someone who determined the value of money, first. The size of the rails on a train track? The magnitude of electricity? Laws and Regulations? Who was the first to determine these things? Did we all do it, because this is a Republic? Or was it Arbitrary? NO! The one who took the napkin first determined all of these things! The rules of this world are determined by that same principle of ‘right or left?’! In a Society like this table, a state of equilibrium, once one makes the first move, everyone must follow! In every era, this World has been operating by this napkin principle. And the one who ‘takes the napkin first’ must be someone who is respected by all. It’s not that anyone can fulfill this role… Those that are despotic or unworthy will be scorned. And those are the ‘losers’. In the case of this table, the ‘eldest’ or the ‘Master of the party’ will take the napkin first… Because everyone ‘respects’ those individuals.”
-Funny Valentine, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Back
Top Bottom