Forum staff and the tag system

Devalaous

Terrarian
I'd like some clarification on this, is it generally okay to use the tag system (@ followed by a username) to bring things to the attention of a staff member currently online? Generally for when someone needs help, such as admin services (Accidental username error etc) or advice, that is (Things in need of moderation should ALWAYS be handled with the report button in anonymity). I've used it to help people out a few times now, but I don't think ive seen any official stance on it. The report feature is fine and all, but it also has a very impersonal touch, I like to actively help the person by making a visible gesture.

I don't see why not, just use it respectfully and don't abuse it. Feel free to tag me if I'm around.

I wouldn't approve of using it at a time where the report feature would be ideal, such as to bring attention to someone who is causing trouble... but anything like username errors or advice, etc I have no problem with.

Yeah, I mentioned that it shouldnt be used for troublemakers. That justs escalates the problem and will earn you a warning, and a personal vendetta.

Fun fact: I was actually going to tag you to demonstrate (and, well, get your opinion in the process), but decided against it.

Honestly, I was using the tags for quite a while before realizing there was a tie-in with alerts. I thought it was just a shortcut for the [user][/user] BB code tags.

Anything of importance should be handled with the report system. It might be impersonal to a point, but it's also anonymous and easier to for us to see, as well as a tracking system that documents our actions. It also gets the attention of ALL staff, at least until handled by one or more of us, whereas the tag is like a silent PM to one of us. If I'm focused on a situation or activity elsewhere, I might well miss a tag alert or not get to it for a bit. I also don't typically log out for things like eating dinner, running a quick errand, etc., and often just uncheck my 'show online status' for sleep etc., so I may just appear to be paying attention at any given moment.

I wouldn't want people to depend on tagging to get our attention, but it's fine with me to do so.

I would probably use the tag if you are like -

Hey @ModeratorName , come check out this cool thread!

- I would use this if you are probably friends with the staff
and communicate with them, I wouldn't tag them like this -

@ModeratorName? Pls ban him naow!

I think everyone should know about this, because I found out this feature not long ago.
How about a window on the main page stating that you can tag anyone or perhaps a list of useful commands/help?

All depends on the situation at hand I guess. I wouldn't rely on it during downtimes, but during peak times, its definitely a good way to build trust with the staff. A lot of users feel intimidated by staff members and developers, something that saddens me. Used right, it can be a good way to wear down some barriers.

And yes, the tag feature is undocumented on the BB codes help section. It should probably be documented. Its a very useful feature in a lot of ways.

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 6.24.13 AM.png

Sorry to anyone pictured, but maybe we could show an @ sign when people tag them, we'd still have that little triangle thing when they post on someone's profile, but when they are tagged we could see it just so people know it's ok to tag?

the tag feature is undocumented on the BB codes help section. It should probably be documented. Its a very useful feature in a lot of ways.
I think that the shortcut/tag alert part is most likely a plugin/add-on, not a BB code feature. If it's not documented in the Community User Guide, it probably should be added there.

I would probably use the tag if you are like -

Hey @ModeratorName , come check out this cool thread!
Only use in moderation, please :) We get quite a lot of alerts as it is.

I think that @Devalaous means more like: "I don't know the answer to that question, but I'd bet that @Tunnel King does," when replying to someone.

Yes, thats a good example of what this thread was about. It has a much more powerful effect, directly showing that the staff are here to help. Flawed, yes, but so far I've only used it when I know the staff member is online and active, and the best person for what I want.

EDIT: Oh and I have to add that each time the staff in question practically shows up in a flashing cape and flourish and saves the situation in style.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom