Weapons & Equip Fury Gear: True Melee Gear

milt: "that isn't a restriction, its a counter for lifesteal which only affects it's class"

spectre armor doesn't really need the nerf, the balance of the lifesteal is the fact that spectre armor gives about as much defense as molten armor, but you can use vampire knives even when you have super high defense(except for this armor).

also, the armor only gives -50% ranged and magic damage now. and thanks leinfors, i really don't want this thread to get locked. :)

I don't think you get what I meant by restriction. Spectre hood reduces how effective magic damage is, but buffs it to a point where you'll be takier than full beetle scale with all that regen. Spectre does not prevent you from using other weapons however, or nerfs another weapon class to complete uselessness. It buffs magic by giving you healing at the expense of damage. It does not "restrict" the player by reducing melee or ranged damage by 90% to the point of uselessness.

And my 2nd answer

Adobe Photoshop CS6

True, but I still hate how it makes some magic weapons bad. Also thanks, I've been trying to make my sprites better.

True, but I still hate how it makes some magic weapons bad. Also thanks, I've been trying to make my sprites better.
That's what the mask is for
index.php

milt: "that isn't a restriction, its a counter for lifesteal which only affects it's class"

spectre armor doesn't really need the nerf, the balance of the lifesteal is the fact that spectre armor gives about as much defense as molten armor, but you can use vampire knives even when you have super high defense(except for this armor).

also, the armor only gives -50% ranged and magic damage now. and thanks leinfors, i really don't want this thread to get locked. :)
Yes it did. remember that the Spectre healing is 20% of damage dealt. Life steal in general is already broken, and without the damage nerf, that would be 315 health per second using a bubble gun on an enemy with no defense.

This may seem OP, but try using only melee weapons in a pumpkin or frost moon. That doesn't count "melee" weapons which shoot projectiles.
No, this is overpowered. This would turn the Terrablade into something ridiculous, something that chews through anything in microseconds.

I don't rely on the Terrablade's (going to use that as an example here) projectile. Even when in Pumpkin and Frost Moons I often move close to particular enemies in order to do some brutal damage at close range. When fighting certain bosses like the Destroyer I stand close to it and let my sword rip. To think that the damage I'm doing would be doubled is simply insane.

Without using ranged type "melee" weapons, it is almost impossible to survive a Pumpkin or Frost Moon.
Sure, there are bosses that are hard to attack with a 'pure melee' type of weapon, but hey, that's why there are hundreds of other weapons in this game.
You're never forced to rely on a single form of attack. You can have 10 weapons in your hotbar, one for any possible situation.

I am a melee character, but I usually use a megashark for events or bosses, because it's basically impossible otherwise.
Maybe I'm too modest, but I consider myself a really average player. If I can butcher bosses with melee weapons alone, then so can you. :)

gotcha: maybe, but you probably use vampire knives and ichor, i dont. plus, this armor would prevent you from using lifesteal. when i get hurt, i need to wait 45 seconds for potion sickness to end, most people just heal with VKs. thiis armor would provide an alternative. if try to take on a mourning wood with a keybrand, i get flattened. i can kill bosses to, but it's super hard without VKs. and remember, the lunar event will be pretty tough. plus, this armor would be specifically for people who want to use justmelee, no ranged.

milt: actually, before(and after) the spectre nerf, healing was limited to 2 hearts per second, and combined with the low defense of spectre armor, i got squashed often by events.

oh yeah, and gotcha! mentioned turning the terra blade into something ridiculous, well flairon already turns pumpkings to rubble in mere seconds, especially with all the new buff potions. and terra blade shoots ONE projectile, no homing, unlike flairon. wich shoots several homing projectiles.

actually, before(and after) the spectre nerf, healing was limited to 2 hearts per second, and combined with the low defense of spectre armor, i got squashed often by events.
That was an addition on 1.2.2

Stats from before that would be 138 health per second (126 without Spectre's old +10% damage) with the scenario I had given. Still a lot mind you.

gotcha: maybe, but you probably use vampire knives and ichor...
I never use any form of buffs because I can't be arsed to make the potions. I only use vampire knives when in trouble of dying, their damage isn't high enough to keep using them.

oh yeah, and gotcha! mentioned turning the terra blade into something ridiculous, well flairon already turns pumpkings to rubble in mere seconds, especially with all the new buff potions.
Just because one weapon is too powerful doesn't mean other weapons should be as well. If one weapon is obviously more powerful than all other weapons then this one weapon should be nerfed, not all other weapons buffed.

It is too overspecialized, specially due to the lack of proyectiles, which not only causes most endgame melee weapons to become a lot weaker, but also outright makes some of them completely useless (The SotC, for example, would be a lot weaker due to not only the lower range, but the lack of the small Eaters, while the Terra Blade would lose more DPS to it than it gains from the doubled melee damage, as the beam deals more damage than the actual sword), and the doubled melee damage barely compensates for it´s lack of proyectiles, which is specially notable with the Flairon. If it didn´t have the decreased ranged and magic damage, at least it would have a niche as a completely defensive armor, but it means that the decreased damage causes the player to take damage more often than the defence would lower when compared to Chlorophyte, Shroomite or Spectre armor.
[DOUBLEPOST=1421597565][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just because one weapon is too powerful doesn't mean other weapons should be as well. If one weapon is obviously more powerful than all other weapons then this one weapon should be nerfed, not all other weapons buffed.
Plus, considering how the Flairon is obtained in the first place, the player likely wouldn´t really need it save for getting FM trophies.

...while the Terra Blade would lose more DPS to it than it gains from the doubled melee damage, as the beam deals more damage than the actual sword...
Hmm, good point. I guess I'm wrong about it being overpowered, didn't figure it would actually be underpowered.

its supposed to be specialized, it's for people who want to use swords and spears. and the vampire knives often do more DPS than the megashark, because it shoots several projectiles hat each have the same damage. i litterally got to wave 12 in a pumpkin moon wth only hallowed armor and vampire knives, and that was without any new buffs. i counted, and i actually got 1000 DPS average using vampire knives on a pumpking. also, the terra blade projectile deals as muchdamage as the blade itself, not more. so doubling the melee damage would compensate, especially with all the defense. plus, one critical strike could give one terra blade hit 400 damage, rather than needing both the blade and the beam to get criticals.

plus, the entire point of the armor is to make melee melee, not ranged as it is now. it's not melee if it shoots a projectile. also, some people say it's too weak and some people say it's OP, which kinda confuses me.

Last edited:
Question.

Why is this needed?

"Its not true melee" Okay, well, having swords that shoot magic beams is more fun, and much more usable. (By the way: Melee in terraria is basically defined as a weapon that consumes neither ammunition nor mana.)
"Some people like using swords and spears [without projectiles]" Nothing's stopping you.

And... might just be blind but that seems to be the sum of the arguments so far.

By the way, if you have a armor that needs such a high defense to prevent it from getting butchered, but has so high a defense that ranged and magic mains are liable to choose it over their respective armor sets (which provide a pretty damn fair boost to their respective attacks), to a point where you are forced to cripple their attacks, then this armor has a serious design flaw.

lom2: "you managed to kill off the best melee weapons." you'll notice all of those are projectiles. the scourge of the corruptor is like a gun, but it does melee damage. that doesn't really make sense. also, this armor is for people who want to use swords and spears rather than projectiles. also, flails still work, they just dont shoot projectiles. no one uses pure melee swords in the endgame, this fixes that.

also, the ranged and magic damage nerf is balanced by the fact that the armor grants double melee damage to the weapons that do still work.
(First of all: A scourge is either a whip or a cause of great suffering. We can assume based on the fact that it is not a whip that it is the latter.)
Second:
Rainbow_Gun.png
This is a gun that shoots rainbows.
Jack_%27O_Lantern_Launcher.png
This is a gun that shoots pumpkins.
Terraria wasn't built to make sense (hell, there's going to be a sword based on CATS in the next update). It was built to be fun.

We don't really care about the "balance" of the ranged/magic nerf, we care about the fact that you're now limiting our playstyle. No one likes to shoot a rocket III out of a rocket launcher and watch it do 16 damage to a Possessed Armor.

Nobody gets that not everybody wants max power at all times, restrictions are good in a controlled environment but you'll never learn that if you just stack vamp knives and golden shower and blah blah blah on everything.

lom2 said "why is this needed?" its needed because some people, like me, want to use pure melee swords, or spears, and not shoot projectiles. but if we do that, we get slaughtered.

"'Some people like using swords and spears [without projectiles]' Nothing's stopping you." actually, yes, if you do that, you'll get smashed into the ground. try using beetle/turtle armor and a keybrand against a mourning wood. youll get flattened into a grease spot. no, really, try it. and no vamp knives.

"By the way, if you have a armor that needs such a high defense to prevent it from getting butchered, but has so high a defense that ranged and magic mains are liable to choose it over their respective armor sets (which provide a pretty darn fair boost to their respective attacks), to a point where you are forced to cripple their attacks, then this armor has a serious design flaw." there isn't really an alternative for people who want to use the "hit enemies with a non-projectile sword" style in endgame. and by the way, that style was the only melee style before 1.1. apparently, redigit didn't mind it there.

"No one likes to shoot a rocket III out of a rocket launcher and watch it do 16 damage to a Possessed Armor." that is exactly why this is a melee set, not a ranged or mage set. because it has lots of defense, all other melee armor has higher defense than ranged. beetle armor has the same problem.

"We don't really care about the "balance" of the ranged/magic nerf, we care about the fact that you're now limiting our playstyle." there is exactly no reason why you would be forced to wear this armor, you can just use beetle armor if this one bothers you. it has good defense, but doesn't give less damage. also, spectre armor nerfs damage to compensate for it's special ability, this armor does exactly the same thing.

lom2 said "'Some people like using swords and spears [without projectiles]' Nothing's stopping you." actually, yes, if you do that, you'll get smashed into the ground. try using beetle/turtle armor and a keybrand against a mourning wood. youll get flattened into a grease spot. no, really, try it. and no vamp knives.

"By the way, if you have a armor that needs such a high defense to prevent it from getting butchered, but has so high a defense that ranged and magic mains are liable to choose it over their respective armor sets (which provide a pretty darn fair boost to their respective attacks), to a point where you are forced to cripple their attacks, then this armor has a serious design flaw." there isn't really an alternative for people who want to use the "hit enemies with a non-projectile sword" style in endgame. and by the way, that style was the only melee style before 1.1. apparently, redigit didn't mind it there.

"No one likes to shoot a rocket III out of a rocket launcher and watch it do 16 damage to a Possessed Armor." that is exactly why this is a melee set, not a ranged or mage set. because it has lots of defense, all other melee armor has higher defense than ranged. beetle armor has the same problem.

"We don't really care about the "balance" of the ranged/magic nerf, we care about the fact that you're now limiting our playstyle." there is exactly no reason why you would be forced to wear this armor, you can just use beetle armor if this one bothers you. it has good defense, but doesn't give less damage. also, spectre armor nerfs damage to compensate for it's special ability, this armor does exactly the same thing.

You don't seem to be winning this. I can agree however it is a good concept...but porely executed. Nice sprites by the way

lom2 said "why is this needed?" its needed because some people, like me, want to use pure melee swords, or spears, and not shoot projectiles. but if we do that, we get slaughtered.

"'Some people like using swords and spears [without projectiles]' Nothing's stopping you." actually, yes, if you do that, you'll get smashed into the ground. try using beetle/turtle armor and a keybrand against a mourning wood. youll get flattened into a grease spot. no, really, try it. and no vamp knives.

It's more that people see a thing and they can only focus on that thing, FYI i really hope 1.3 brings a new crimson weapon and vamp knives get nerfed to the dirt.

spectre armor nerfs damage to compensate for it's special ability, this armor does exactly the same thing.
Spectre nerfs weapons that are meant to be used with it, ie magic weapons. It doesn't punish people from using melee /range while they are not using magic weapon for whatever reason.

Whereas this armor only makes melee weapon a viable choice in all situation with the damage nerf on range/magic.

You are talking about two different things here, where the only similarity is the word "nerf".

Spectre nerfs weapons that are meant to be used with it, ie magic weapons. It doesn't punish people from using melee /range while they are not using magic weapon for whatever reason.

Whereas this armor only makes melee weapon a viable choice in all situation with the damage nerf on range/magic.

You are talking about two different things here, where the only similarity is the word "nerf".
How many more times is this gonna be brought up? We know the difference stop pointing it out, internet fights = recyclorama

You don't seem to be winning this. I can agree however it is a good concept...but porely executed. Nice sprites by the way

thanks! the sprites came out better than i expected. guess what i based the design of the fury blade on.

what exactly do you mean by poorly executed?

and as for the similarity to the spectre armor damage nerf, its similar because it has a very powerful special ability, so it needs to nerf something else to compensate.
and just to clarify, its a melee armor, rangers and mages are not expected to use it. its for people who just want to use melee weapons, like summoner armor is for people who just want to use minions. and thanks for discussing this politely, that helps.:)

Back
Top Bottom