HOW THE F*** DO YOU SOLO DUKE FISHRON???

UglyStru

Terrarian
This guy is IMPOSSIBLE. He might be the hardest video game boss I have ever fought. He is too god damn fast and has so much HP and his tornado attacks are ridiculously OP. I've fought him about 10 times with all different loadouts (Spectre Armor and Heat Gun, Shroomite Armor & Megashark/Chlorophyte Bullets were my closest to beating him). I've got 500 health. I've got as much Warding buffs on my gear as possible. I've got a minecart arena built (same exact one as this one)

I've got the Star Veil, Band of Regen, Philosopher's Stone, and Avenger's Emblem. One of them has +4 defense, another has +3, but I'm broke and can't afford to reforge anymore. I've sank about 30 hours into grinding my :red: off for this god damn gear and building my arena only to have it be useless as :red:.

I'm all out of money, my world is pretty much empty. I'm all out of Chlorophyte Ore in my world. What do...

Aw, so close! :mad:

Anyway your problem is keeping the health up and avoiding Sharknados. I suggest using the Spectre Armor set (for it's life steal) and the best magic weapon you have.

I have beaten Duke solo using Spectre Armor, Cross necklace, Ankh Shield, Handcuffs (for mana) and a decent pair of wings. For offence I used Razorpine (Bat Sceptre might do as well). I didn't build an arena. Instead I used a Water Walking Potion.

I made Spectre Armor, and covered the top of the ocean with asphalt, except for the far right, so i could summon him, then I used Frozen Wings I believe, to fly away and use the Laser Machinegun, and the UFO to slow down so he doesn't despawn, try that!

I'm identifying two problems with your approach, namely your gear and your strategy, although if you solve the first, it might just nullify the latter, seeing how close you got last time.

First of, your gear: it's outdated. You have access to much more powerful weapons at this stage in the game than a Megashark that isn't even Unreal. You should be able to farm the Pumpkin Moon with ease, which gives you more powerful weapons like the Stake Launcher, or farm the Martian Invasion some more for the Influx Weaver (which I am told works very well against Fishron). You could take it a step further and try and get the Chain Gun from the Frost Moon, which when coupled with Chlorophyte Bullets deal incredible amounts of damage. Or you could take it overboard, kill the Lunatic Cultist (which in my opinion is much easier than the Duke), kill a Solar Pillar or a Vortex Pillar and make a Phantasm, Vortex Beater or Daybreak, which make the fight a breeze even on Expert mode.

Your accessories don't make that much sense to me. First of, you can combine the Band of Regen with the Philosopher's Stone at a Tinkerer's Workshop, saving you an inventory slot. The Star Veil seems like an odd choice to me, considering continues damage (which the Cross Necklace part blocks) doesn't happen that much against FIshron, and the stars that fall don't deal all that much damage, even if they do hit. Nevertheless, you want to avoid getting hit as much as possible, so it might be better to use other accessories that either help with dodging, or just reduce damage, such as the Master Ninja Gear, the Ankh Shield, the Celestial Shell or Frostspark Boots.

Finally, why do you use Wings if you're using a minecart strategy? You might as well give that slot to something useful. Just food for thought.

Now, the problem with your strategy in my opinion is that you're not actively dodging any of his attacks (as we can see in how you died, cruising directly into a Cthulhunado). Using platforms, Wings, and the accessories listed in the spoiler, you have much more freedom when it comes to dodging. Like I said, if you update your gear, you might still be successful with this strategy, but I wouldn't rely on minetracks to do the dodging for me.

I made Spectre Armor, and covered the top of the ocean with asphalt, except for the far right, so i could summon him, then I used Frozen Wings I believe, to fly away and use the Laser Machinegun, and the UFO to slow down so he doesn't despawn, try that!

I can't dodge him when using wings. I accelerate way too slow and his dash attacks eat me alive. I will try to farm for that Laser Minigun though, that's a really good magic weapon. My best magic weapon is the heat gun :( Also, what UFO are you talking about? The mount or the minion?
[DOUBLEPOST=1454429662,1454429146][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm identifying two problems with your approach, namely your gear and your strategy, although if you solve the first, it might just nullify the latter, seeing how close you got last time.

First of, your gear: it's outdated. You have access to much more powerful weapons at this stage in the game than a Megashark that isn't even Unreal. You should be able to farm the Pumpkin Moon with ease, which gives you more powerful weapons like the Stake Launcher, or farm the Martian Invasion some more for the Influx Weaver (which I am told works very well against Fishron). You could take it a step further and try and get the Chain Gun from the Frost Moon, which when coupled with Chlorophyte Bullets deal incredible amounts of damage. Or you could take it overboard, kill the Lunatic Cultist (which in my opinion is much easier than the Duke), kill a Solar Pillar or a Vortex Pillar and make a Phantasm, Vortex Beater or Daybreak, which make the fight a breeze even on Expert mode.

Your accessories don't make that much sense to me. First of, you can combine the Band of Regen with the Philosopher's Stone at a Tinkerer's Workshop, saving you an inventory slot. The Star Veil seems like an odd choice to me, considering continues damage (which the Cross Necklace part blocks) doesn't happen that much against FIshron, and the stars that fall don't deal all that much damage, even if they do hit. Nevertheless, you want to avoid getting hit as much as possible, so it might be better to use other accessories that either help with dodging, or just reduce damage, such as the Master Ninja Gear, the Ankh Shield, the Celestial Shell or Frostspark Boots.

Finally, why do you use Wings if you're using a minecart strategy? You might as well give that slot to something useful. Just food for thought.

Now, the problem with your strategy in my opinion is that you're not actively dodging any of his attacks (as we can see in how you died, cruising directly into a Cthulhunado). Using platforms, Wings, and the accessories listed in the spoiler, you have much more freedom when it comes to dodging. Like I said, if you update your gear, you might still be successful with this strategy, but I wouldn't rely on minetracks to do the dodging for me.

That's literally the best gear I have, and as I said I am broke and can't afford to reforge my other gear. As for the dodging, any tips on this? Everytime I've tried to fight him without the minecart strategy, he kills me in seconds. I accelerate way too slow. I will combine the Regen and Phil Stone, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to obtain the Celestial Shell. Would any other gear suffice?

That's literally the best gear I have, and as I said I am broke and can't afford to reforge my other gear. As for the dodging, any tips on this? Everytime I've tried to fight him without the minecart strategy, he kills me in seconds. I accelerate way too slow. I will combine the Regen and Phil Stone, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to obtain the Celestial Shell. Would any other gear suffice?

Then that's a major part of the problem: you are taking on a difficult boss with woefully outdated, poorly synergized gear. Make some money, do some reforges. Farm Pumpkin or Frost Moon. This stuff is available to you, you just have to go out and grab it. :)

Celestial Stone is crafted from a Moon Stone (dropped by Vampires during Eclipse) and Sun Stone (dropped by the Golem). If you combine that with a Moon Charm and Neptune's Shell, you get the Celestial Shell.

Another note: Leaf Wings are some pretty bad wings in general, you can do much better. Flame Wings, Frost Wings, Spectre, Beetle, Spooky, Festive, Tattered Fairy . . . all are easily within your abilities to get and would be an improvement.

Last edited:
What are the quickest ways to farm? I've dumped so much time into this game, I just wanna beat it and move onto Starbound x_x

One, doing Eclipses is a great way to make money. You can summon them freely by making Solar Tablets, crafted from the drops of Lihzahrds in the Temple.

That's actually perfect, because if you go farm the Golem a bit to get a Sun Stone, then take the Solar Tablets and summon Eclipses to get a Moon Stone, you will make a lot of money along the way.

As for wings, all of those wings are gotten from different sources; Beetle Wings can be made from Golem drops, so they would be the easiest for you.

You should really do that, then try the Pumpkin Moon. If you breeze through that, try Frost Moon as well.

Pumpkin Moon looks absolutely insane, like the hardest event in the game (from YT videos atleast). Also, which Wings provide the highest acceleration and could help against the Fishron fight? And what would you recommend as an arena?

This boss is nothing compared to MoonLord...duke Fishron i reccomend you have a Flying sauser mount for it and continue shooting and when you nearly reach space un-mount and fire at um while falling.

Also, just started farming the :red: out of the Martians for the Laser Machine Gun. I defeated about 10 saucers, no LMG. Just shows how terrible my RNG is.

Attachments

• 2016-02-02_00001.jpg
    2016-02-02_00001.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 1,495
And what do you guys recommend as a loadout? I'm willing to go ranged or magic (once I can get that god damn laser gun). Steampunk wings are AMAZING, do they stack with Master Ninja Gear? I also want to keep the Charm of Myths. What would be the best accessories?

Pumpkin Moon looks absolutely insane, like the hardest event in the game (from YT videos atleast). Also, which Wings provide the highest acceleration and could help against the Fishron fight? And what would you recommend as an arena?
Pumpkin Moon is not so bad. Go Melee and use Vampire Knives until you get the Bat Sceptre (then go Mage). For Arena you can use an alround arena like this AlroundArena1.jpg (or a more tricked out variant like this AlroundArena2.jpg ).

You will die a few times, :) so make sure your spawn point is nearby and that you have a quick way to get to the arena from there.

I highly, highly recommend getting a Hoverboard if you can scrape together enough Chlorophyte. It allows you to move left or right extremely quickly, making dodging some of Dude Fishman's attacks a lot more feasible.

Banging your head against the Pumpkin and Frost moons until you get some of the gear from there is also something I can agree with, especially Frost. Santas drop the Chain Gun, which is an almost direct upgrade to the Megashark, and Everscreams drop the Razorpine, which is basically just a magic-based Megashark.

People are also neglecting to mention potions, but you appear to be using those so you're already ahead of some people. Try to get Well Fed up as well, and if you go for a magic weapon then pop a Mana Regeneration Potion.

Other than that, it's really just learning from experience. I've found Fishman a lot easier to battle by just going at him than trying any sort of "easy" arena strategy. Once you get him down he's a really fun and satisfying boss.

To be honest, I'm bad at dodging with the Hoverboard and I couldn't beat him with them, lol. Anyway, some good wings will help you a lot. Some things:

1. Buffs: if you don't feel confident, use some potions and buffs to increase your survivability. Ironskin, Regeneration, Endurance, Swiftness, Well Fed, Rage/Wrath will make the battle easier. If you have the Hotline Fishing Hook or Inferno Potions, use them as well. The fire barrier will protect you from the bubbles. Messing with Gravitation Potions is also a great tactic, as they allow you to fly around the whole map, while dodging his attacks without so much of a problem. Homing weapons will make this tactic very effective.

2. Dodging: you were just falling in these Sharknadoes, taking unnecessary damage. The teleporter idea is good, but I think it'd be easier if you'd be riding in circles (something like a rollercoaster), avoiding more attacks.

3. Weapons: the Megashark is a pretty weak weapon against Duke Fishron. He's got 50 defense, making the bulles quite weak. Here are some useful weapons against him:

- Terra Blade/Influx Waver
- Vampire Knives (with flasks of Ichor). Dunno what with the Scourge, but if the eaters would catch him, they might deal decent damage.
- Possessed Hatchet (fast, homing and powerful - recommended for warriors)
- Chain Gun
- Stynger (if you're good at aiming, this weapon will be effective against him)

If you managed to get fragments, the Solar Eruption, Daybreak, Nebula Blaze, Vortex Beater and Phantasm will make quick work of him. If you manage to defeat him, weapons such as Tsunami or Flairon are very effective against him. Once you obtain a Flairon, with some running and spamming the weapon, you will defeat him in like 30 seconds.

If you can't manage to kill him anyway...
Then just make a heart engine like this and don't forget to bring Heartreach Potions
Heart Engine.png

But, be sure to you tried everything REALLY, because this machine is one of the BIGGEST cheses on the game, it might be really harmful...

Okay okay, so I've got some strategies lined up. However, if I'm going Vampire Knives, Hatchet, or any other Melee Builds, what armor would you recommend? Beetle? Also, should I use the Hoverboard, UFO mount OR should I stay with my Steampunk Wings and Master Ninja Gear?

As for the loadout (with Hoverboard or UFO), I'm thinking Ankh Shield, Charm of Myths, Avenger Emblem, Star Veil, and...? Idk. If I'm using the wings, I'll probably need Charm of Myths, Avenger Emblem, Frostspark Boots, Steampunk Wings, and Master Ninja Gear right? I'm also terrible at dodging his attacks, so I'm wondering what method would be best for me.
[DOUBLEPOST=1454555641,1454555600][/DOUBLEPOST]Hey Steve, what is that heart engine? How do you use it and how is it wired? That seems pretty complex, but may be worth it if it does the job.

LOL!!!! Wow, he is much easier to fight with the UFO. I kept my arena because of all the campfires and heart lanterns and just flew around with the Possessed Hatchet. Didn't even change my armor, and I slapped him senseless. However, I'm still gonna continue my grind for the recommended gear for the future events and Moon Lord. Thanks again for all the help guys! =D What a great community

Back
Top Bottom