Is this classed as cheating

WillowElite

Terrarian
Im playing a singleplayer play through and I don't know if this is cheating. So basically I hop onto an all the item world and collect things only such as ammo for my guns and that's really it. But I've recently started to get boss summoners for bosses that I'm ready to fight such as the three mechanical bosses but I got as many as I could as I kept failing then I used them untill I defeated them. Then I would get rid of them. Just want to know if this is too far?

In my opinion, as long as you're only getting ammo and boss summoners that you can obtain at that point in the game, it isn't cheating. If you can craft it once, you can do it again, and you're just making it more enjoyable for yourself by removing the grinding portions.

Yea thank you, I was just contradicting myself as i thought it was then i was thinking it was fine. The only thing I've most worried about is when i beat the pirate invasion i got the coin gun and I didn't know much about it until i looked it up about 2 weeks later and seen its powerful with platinum coins so i got 4 full stacks of them and I've only used them as ammo. This is still alright isn't it?

Yea thank you, I was just contradicting myself as i thought it was then i was thinking it was fine. The only thing I've most worried about is when i beat the pirate invasion i got the coin gun and I didn't know much about it until i looked it up about 2 weeks later and seen its powerful with platinum coins so i got 4 full stacks of them and I've only used them as ammo. This is still alright isn't it?
Considering you're only using them as ammo I'd say it's fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I use TEdit in my mage run to deal with the corruption but I have to trash coins as "payment" for doing so

Yea I use TEdit aswell as I didn't want to let the crimson get out of hand
Understandable
In my case there's a corruption biome literally one screen away from the jungle, and it endangers said jungle even though I made a barrier (The biome keeps going underneath the barrier :|)
it also might endanger the ocean which has my base
Not to mention the desert barrier barely protecting the desert closest to spawn ;- ;

Yea it's annoying how that happens what I basically done is removed all the crimson and then created then barrier around the biome it's going to be in the went into to TEdit and used the biome tool to put it back. Done this with both crimson and hollow. However I think I've missed a spot somewhere and I'm scared incase it starts getting out of hand lol.

The manner in which you're approaching the game, I'm surprised you didn't just create a Journey Mode Character and World. 🤔

As far as the questions about "what is and isn't cheating", it's tough to say really, because that would depend entirely on what kind of experience you're looking for, as giving yourself Vanity Sets, Tools, Armor and Equipment isn't too off the mark in this game.

If you wanted my personal take on the matter... here's what I'll say.
  • Giving yourself Ammo, especially for a powerful Gun is a slippery slope, because part of being a Ranger Class is making sure you budget your Gold enough to stay supplied, and if you're having issues, that's where using different types of Guns comes into play, so in theory, you're missing out on an integral part of the gameplay loop playing in such a manner.
  • Giving yourself Tools and Equipment is normally served for Challenge Runs, or Specialized Runs, like "Apprentice's Scarf" or "Water Breathing Potions" [if you wanted the experience of two Sentries, or Water Exploration in early game, two things that are kind of impossible with a fresh Vanilla Start]. If you're not doing a Specialized Run, again, it becomes a slippery slope IMHO.
The most I'll say here is, just try not to cheat yourself. Once you start "giving yourself stuff" in a game like Terraria, if you're not sure at what cost your sacrificing the experience you're having [normally reserved for Veterans who've beaten the game once or twice], I'd recommended staying away from All Items Maps and the like, especially if you're still new.

On the other hand, if you don't really care about, or see yourself connecting with the game on some deeper level, disregard everything I've just said, LoL. 😅💁‍♂️

IMO, hopping into other normal, freshly generated worlds to find stuff (maybe alt ores or stuff from the alt evil) isn't cheating. Terraria is not meant to be played "single world only".

But jumping into an all Items World and taking as much of whatever you like out of chests that just came pre-spawned in would feel like cheating to me.

All the boring stuff such as grinding for ammo or trying to get certain drops from enemies can all be solved with a good farm and wiring up statues. It makes the process a lot faster and gives a lot more loot :D

Giving yourself the free handouts from all items world provides you free items but robs you of... I want to say... the integrity of your single player playthrough, perhaps.

It's also a slippery slope. First it's a couple of shortcut items, then you're fighting a boss with endgame gear.

I usually get things like finch staves and sun furies because my worlds never have them, so i'd say you are not cheating. I don't think it is possible to cheat it terraria, you just play how you want.

I usually get things like finch staves and sun furies because my worlds never have them, so i'd say you are not cheating. I don't think it is possible to cheat it terraria, you just play how you want.
the reason that most other worlds make their loots and chests accessible as long as you have a key for it is to encourage going to a fresh world a plundering it for the loot that isn't in your current world.

@EyeOfTheCosmos though I do somewhat agree with you, trying to define what is and isn't cheating in Terraria is tough to quantify [it's quite nebulous], I have observed the harm that's caused when many players... "skip steps" in this game, and then make grievances about issues that don't really exist.
  1. Poor measurements or takes on progression methods, Weapons, Armor and Equipment (example: why is a H*ll-Bridge mandatory for WoF Fight!!? 😡 🤬).
  2. Making suggestions/ demands for features that should be in the game, that already exist in some form or fashion.
  3. Claiming certain Bosses and Enemies are too hard or unbalanced, while lacking certain Terraria fundamentals [which are typically learned via progression].
  4. Missing out on, or being unaware of certain alternatives to progression other than spelunking, ore mining or Bossing.
  5. Making suggestions or requests about resources and how they should be made more available, under the impression that some hard limit will hamper them from progression [which is often not the case].
In-short, a number of these Players suffer from minor knowledge gaps and are oftentimes playing the game backward. That's usually what happens when a person "skips steps" in most things, like getting into college because you "cheated", but then being stuck in a Class where you don't understand anything that's happening [bad example but...].

Cheating or not, for me, it depends. If you want a totally honest playthrough, then yeah, I consider taking stuffs from another world as cheating (except if the stuff you seek doesn't exist in your current world at all, like Living Loom).

Having a Coin Gun and having to be selective about which ammunition is used and when is the better option for me as a player. The reward is lost I'd there is no effort. Personally, I would not enjoy mowing down enemies with free platinum coins.

I also have a couple all-items maps but I don't take anything from them. I just like to look at them and dig through the chests.

OCCASIONALLY, if I misplace an item in my world and don't want to hunt for it anymore, I will take one but I put it back once I find mine. I may just choose to struggle without it. It depends.

If I were to give myself end-game or rare gear that I didn't have to work for, even boss summoners that make it very easy to get those items, the game would be spoiled for me.

I learned a very long time ago that cheating in a game offers temporary, superficial gratification. Grinding is part of the experience. Grinding is what gets you to the goal and if it just handed to you instead it won't be appreciated.

When I equip my gear I have the peace of mind that I have earned it one way or another and that it belongs to me so therefore I deserve it.

I just cheat on the money since that is an issue in the real world. I go into tEdit and give my character 999 platinum LOL. I don’t wish to fool with money in a video game.

Back
Top Bottom