Blocks & Decoration Let us paint grey bricks!

Xorzik

Terrarian
So i was just sitting in my world and then i thought "why not build an old looking dungeon?". So i took out my grey bricks and my paint and i was going to see which colours looked the most like the old dungeon bricks, but then i saw that grey bricks arent affected by paint! Red why cant we paint grey bricks?

It would simply be much better if we could paint grey bricks as then it may be possible to get a brick that looks almost identical to the old dungeon bricks.

And while we are on the topic of bricks, red y u no add lead, iron, palladium, orichalcum, adamantite and titanium bricks!

Actually, you can paint them and they are affected by it, only chances are you're not going to see the difference. To explain why, you need to understand how HSL works. If you already do, just skip the next paragraph.

You are probably aware that colours on a computer screen can be broken down into a red component, a green component and a blue component. This is the RGB value. However, there are more ways to break down a colour, one of them being HSL. This stands for Hue, Saturation and Luminosity. Very basically (and I mean very), hue indicates whether the colour is red, green, blue, yellow, orange, and so on, saturation indicates to how 'pure' that colour is (a saturation of 0 meaning a shade of grey, a saturation of 100 meaning a very intense shade of your hue), and luminosity refers to how bright a colour is.

Paint changes the hue of a colour. However, as I just said, if your saturation is low enough, you can change the hue as much as you want and it will still look grey. That's why paint doesn't appear to work on grey bricks: their saturation is so low that any hue change isn't going to show.

Enter the Deep Paints. Deep paints not only change the hue, but they also increase the saturation, so the hue change actually becomes visible. Deep Paints are crafted at a Dye Vat from two of the base paints (so two Red Paint becomes one Deep Red Paint).

Hope this helps!

NrEYMs5.png

Research I did on Grey Brick and how it interacts with paint, comparing it with Red Brick.
The first two columns of brick cubes shown here are Grey Brick and the second two columns are Red Brick. The first column of brick cubes for each brick type uses the standard paints (and Black, White, Grey and Brown Paints) while the second uses the paints' respective deep variants. The bottom row of brick cubes are left unpainted to serve as a control.

One of the main conclusions I can draw from this is that, if you want a grey brick-like aesthetic but painted, use Red Brick and paint it instead.

And while we are on the topic of bricks, red y u no add lead, iron, palladium, orichalcum, adamantite and titanium bricks!
They are already in game, but they aren't named brick for reasons they don't look like brick, .... these building materials (ores) can be crafted into different and better looking building material (block + brick).
Building material = Brick (by name), Block (other building material that their name don't contain word "Brick" or "Ore") and Ore (always contain word "Ore" in the name, Hellstone and Obsidian isn't ore).

You can be right, we still don't have building material made out of Lead/Iron Ore, but Red didn't add Palladium, Orichalcum, Adamantite and Titanium Bricks, they are these block not brick, from what are you building structures are building material. Did you get it?

And I agree what other people said about Gray Bricks, you can paint them with Deep variant of the paint.

Back
Top Bottom