Official New Terraria Toy Line - Your Feedback Needed!

How should the new line of Terraria-based toys be made?

• Detailed, Static "Statues" that work best as collectibles for display

Votes: 157 66.2%
  • Action figures with some level of articulation (limb movement) that would work better for "play"

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • No real preference

Votes: 32 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Greetings, Terrarians!

We know you are all eagerly awaiting 1.3.1 and/or various other game-related updates - and we plan to have more for you on that soon(tm), so stay tuned. In the mean time, we would like to share a bit of news on the merchandise end and then ask you all for your preference/opinion on what direction we should take things. So, without further ado, let's launch right into things!

As you all know, we have had Terraria toys from Jazwares on the market since the Fall/Winter of 2014. These have had mixed reactions from the community, with them being popular with our younger fanbase and substantially less so with our older customers. This is something we have definitely taken note of at Re-Logic, and we have advocated for a second line that would be more tied to the tastes of that second group. The great news is that this is now something that is underway! We have attached some preliminary concept art below of a player in Shadow Armor. Don't get too wrapped up in all of the details of the artwork here - the goal is more just to give a sense for what this is (a more "realistic" figure contrasted with the blockier designs that we currently have).

Besides just showing this off to you guys and letting you know that we are working on something that may be of interest to portions of our fanbase that are not interested in the current toys, we would like your take on one facet of this toy line: level of articulation. Essentially, should we make these into cool, detailed, static collectible "statues" that you can proudly display on your desk, mantle, dashboard, and wherever else you show off awesome things OR should we make these in more of an "action figure" style akin to old school Star Wars figures (as just one example)? Those may be less detailed, but would be more easily played with.

We have debated it internally and we can honestly see the appeal of both - and so we really want to hear from you to help us decide! So, please participate in our poll above and leave any other thoughts that you may have in this thread. We will keep the poll open for a couple of weeks, read over your comments, and then give Jazwares a direction to take this that will hopefully meet the needs of everyone.

The poll will remain open for a couple of weeks.

Thanks as always for your amazing support - we look forward to bringing you some pretty amazing things this year and beyond, so stay tuned!
This may be a horrible idea, but what about a way to take your character, like if yo have a specific vanity you like, input it b into a website, and than have it printed onto things like stickers or magnets or pins and than mailed to you? I could tottaly see people eating that up.

Hello everyone-

Really digging the feedback thus far - thanks to so many of you for your candid and constructive thoughts! Keep it coming!

The art shown is concept art intended to show an overall stylistic direction rather than a literal interpretation. I have really enjoyed some of the "middle ground" suggestion images that several of you have posted. Keep it up!

With that in hand next to the articulation feedback, I am confident that we will be able to get these to an amazing place.

A few other things:

• We know stuff like the weapons in the image are just generic weapons and that Terrarians don't dial wield. Clearly we would not have Jazwares roll with that, it would be appropriate Terraria weapons...as just one example.
  • The current "blocky" figure line is not going anywhere. This is not a replacement for that - it's new and separate. As such, we intend for these to be demonstrably different than what we have now. So, that will likely not be "curvy" versions of what we have now. Much as the comic book was a different, more mature style vs the block figures - such is this. Some of the image examples people have posted have presented some pretty cool alternative views.
  • Of course, as with everything in a community this diverse, we know we cannot please everyone with any one item or set of items. So, we are just seeking the best possible solution that people will love - and that Redigit approves of as authentic to his vision of how the game should be represented. So, we welcome any and all constructive feedback in there - and we will digest it all in order to make that call. :)
  • As Cenx and Safeman noted, no devs nor their time are harmed in the making of things like this or the comic. So don't worry, the updates are moving along unaffected by any of this stuff. ;)

Thanks for all the support and for your feedback now and to come. We are really excited about the potential for these, and we are looking forward to making something awesome here.

I cannot wait to see what else you guys will have for us by way of feedback!

Cheers!

I personally feel that Terraria would benefit well from smaller statues. As @Izzabelle had shown, the style of the "Disney Infinity figures" or Nintendo Amiibos are probably the best way you could go. That said I think I'd be nice for another reason. Size is a major factor in these kinds of things, as an avid collector I can tell you right that my shelves are FULL of stuff, and it's making it harder to collect things. Smaller figures (around roughly 3.50in to 4In) are easier to display. You can pack more into a smaller space then larger statues. (around 7-8in) You also have the added bonus of future utility for things like that. Smaller statues could easily be used in a board game, perhaps a card game, simple things like that where simply having them gets to add an extra layer of coolness to it.

Note: That's not to say you couldn't do special ones that are large, but I feel it would be better off to have them smaller. I mean, imagine a world where a kid has their Disney Infinity figures, amiibos, and Terraria figures all lined up on a shelf. That'd look pretty cool in my book. And don't even get me started on the people that will "Warhammer' their figures to match their in game dyed armors!

Personally I'd prefer action figures :p as others have pointed out with removable accessories I'd love to see a G.I. Joe/Jane style line of Terraria merchandise. Maybe I'm just fanatical but having customizable characters has always stricken me as totally awesome ^_^

personally, I think they should try to look as much like the actual in-game sprites as possible(just not pixelated). the sprites are 2D but they are made to look 3D, so I don't feel like it would be hard to make them look accurate. also, I don't really care if they're statues or action figures, if it's possible to make them action figures without sacrificing quality that would be preferable, but I'd rather see static figures that are accurate than action figures that look weird(like the current ones). also, I don't want them to be made super "realistic". for example, I don't want iron armor to look like real-life armor, that wouldn't even look like terraria. basically, the more it looks like the in-game sprites, the better.

Last edited:
Insert Fry meme
TAKE MY MONEY.
As requested (just kidding, thought it would be funny):
Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money-Fry.jpg

I wasn't a fan of the "pixelated" Night's Edge. I'd prefer something that is more detailed to the original idea.
I was thinking instead of what it's like now, maybe something more like this:
Assassins-creed-ation-figure-PU-Axe-Hatchet-Great-font-b-Toy-b-font-IN-STORE-Gift.jpg

Of course, material and use is important, as damage to consumers or the product wouldn't be in best interest. :\

As for the figurines, the idea of the detailed collectable figurines intrigues me.
As for toy figurines, It'd be cool to see something similar to what Fisher Price did:
51QZHGKSHNL._SX466_.jpg

As you can see with the figurines can hold items and armour pieces. The figurines could hold different items from the game, and they could have enemy figurines to fight against, as well as figurines for NPCs. Maybe they could hold items and armour too.

As long as they are not based on the blocky Terraria animation I'll be fine with it.

I think making them simple but still detailed would look nice. Like a chibi model(with a smaller head)
If they looked like that they wouldn't be pixelated

I really liked @Izzabelle 's idea and I think it would appeal to young and old Terrarians. It could also be collectible (make different armor sets and weapon/accessories) in smaller sizes.
Ummm... so here's concept art! :rslime:
molten_armor_toy_concept_art_by_personatea-d9y97nh.png

(molten armor anyone?)
That......looks.......awesome! I would buy that 10/10

The developers themselves would not be making the toys, and it's ok for community-oriented staff members to gather community feedback

Ninja'd by Cenx lol

======================================================

@Loki @Cenx @Redigit

I think a "realistic" or a "blocky/pixely" product would actually do a disservice to fans and collectors both young and old. Either distinction tends to alienate either group. The pixel style rendered for toys only really appeals to younger audiences, while realism (I feel) doesn't do the game any sort of justice; it just doesn't fit.

I don't think there should be a decision between static collectibles and articulated action figures; I feel both will do very well IF... if you get the look right.

Honestly, I'm surprised you guys aren't going in the "Disney Infinity" direction:

93yNWuXl.jpg

BHgiEDvl.jpg

I'm not saying "Use THIS style". But as an example; Disney Infinity is both played with by younger audiences, and collected by older audiences. The style of "toy" allows them to fill a multitude of roles. I feel Terraria product development can benefit a great deal by looking to DI as an influence.
I'm with him on this one. a cartoony style would defiantly go well with terraria's bight and not-so-serious style and smaller statue-esque figures would defiantly add a collectability element to the product. it would also allow for some great action poses!

Essentially, should we make these into cool, detailed, static collectible "statues" that you can proudly display on your desk, mantle, dashboard, and wherever else you show off awesome things OR should we make these in more of an "action figure" style akin to old school Star Wars figures (as just one example)? Those may be less detailed, but would be more easily played with.
Yay, finally! :D

I'm definitely for detailed statues. I don't see myself playing with action figures at my age, but I love having stuff in my house that I can stare at. And like you said, it allows for more details, which is a big pro in my book.
I'm also hoping these statues will portrait the varied NPC's (especially the more popular ones) and not player characters persé, although I can see the appeal of statues where characters wear the very cool looking turtle/shroomite/spectre armour and endgame luminite armours.
Maybe run a poll of sorts to ask people what kind of armour people favourite?

About the size: The bigger they are, the more expensive they'll be. I think it's nice that they'll be somewhat affordable for everyone, especially since most Terraria fans won't have much money to spend. But they shouldn't be too small either, since that'll hurt them on the details.

I'm glad there'll be something cool for the grownups to look forward to. All those little kids toys... it was depressing. :p
First get the updates out then let's talk about making money.
You've paid a ridiculous small sum for a game with a gigantic amount of content. You got free updates for years and years while most devs would have abandoned their game long ago or would have made you pay for these kind of updates. If I were you I'd feel rather ashamed after saying such a thing and I'd apologize. Show some gratitude. -_-

Last edited:
I really liked @Izzabelle 's idea and I think it would appeal to young and old Terrarians. It could also be collectible (make different armor sets and weapon/accessories) in smaller sizes.
Ummm... so here's concept art! :rslime:
molten_armor_toy_concept_art_by_personatea-d9y97nh.png

(molten armor anyone?)
10/10, perfect. Just what I was thinking about

Nailed it. But would it be an action figure with movable limbs or should it have a stand like in this picture?

Hmm... I personally probably would go with an inbetween method. Where as it is not completely articulate, but enough to get a few poses on a stand. I also prefer the smaller statue-esk ones that I can adjust pose and set aside where I want it to be displayed. Size being roughly 3"-3 1/2". So if it can be a little of both that would be nice. And as long as the mechanic and stylist is among them I know I will love to collect.

Detail is something that doesn't need to be extreme, but enough to get the idea; similar to what @Izzabelle presented earlier in the topic with the Disney Infinity collection. Where it has the general detail enough to preset a familiar form to represent what the figurine is of along with a stand that helps to display.

Probably the reason I put no real preference in the poll: due to that is the closest to "in-between".

About really as much I can think of at this time, since quite a few others have already pointed out so many great ideas and bits above. :dryadsmile:

Back
Top Bottom