Question [QUESTION] Has anyone thought of making a Terraria Rhythm Game?

ChippyGaming 🌳

Terraria Enthusiast
So this week I started playing Guitar Hero again, and it got me thinking about the possibility of turning it into a Terraria minigame. Now my first thought was 'You could create some form of indicator, that would tell the player what area they must stand on or they'll be killed.' Then I thought this is a little too much like Simon Says and less like a rhythm game. I then also thought that it'd be a little impossible as Terraria doesn't have any form of music blocks. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had these thoughts and if they've made any advancements with it

Would love to hear from whomever :)

So this week I started playing Guitar Hero again, and it got me thinking about the possibility of turning it into a Terraria minigame. Now my first thought was 'You could create some form of indicator, that would tell the player what area they must stand on or they'll be killed.' Then I thought this is a little too much like Simon Says and less like a rhythm game. I then also thought that it'd be a little impossible as Terraria doesn't have any form of music blocks. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had these thoughts and if they've made any advancements with it

Would love to hear from whomever :)
I might work on making this! It sounds fun to do!

Joe Price's video game thing on his ultimate hard mode world is similarish to guitar hero but horizontal instead of verticle, but if you want it for the music i can't help there

Well, we can't definitively use note blocks since everyone will have a different timing depending on when they activated a music box or started a song on any media website.

If we can solve the rhythm problem, we could use cycling logic gates to display a timer above a hallway.
For example, there could be four sections in an eighty-three block long hallway each 20 blocks long with a single block between each. When a section of the cycling logic gate is reached, the blocks on three sections could be actuated and the correct section blocked off. The winning condition would be to go through an entire cycle, time depending on what song is used, without falling down by entering the correct sections properly. This could be achieved by using the logic gate itself to take down the entire thing, or simply use Logic Gate (AND) with player sensors in each room.

I've had to reinstall Terraria so I can't use tShock to properly test this out right now, but I should be able to get a concept video out by tomorrow so look out for an edit.

I've wondered about something similar before.
I haven't spent too long really trying to work anything out, but it's definitely something I'm interested in: There are a lot of little sounds in the game -- mobs dying, NPCs dying with a splat, doors closing, thumps of boulders, etc. that, if set up in a system correctly, could be arranged in such a way that they produce a sort of "music" similar to something like Stomp (percussion-based music troupe which uses various untraditional items to produce sounds which are then arranged to produce music.)
I have too many big projects going on right now to really work on another, but if someone else is interested in this then the first, easiest step would probably be to arrange Terraria SFX outside of the game until you create a song and then work out how to automate that in-game using devices.

After a song is made, then the actual rhythm game part could be incorporated. Turning the music off in-game would be pretty vital -- or, I guess you might be able to use music boxes and actual terraria music timed to the rhythm game. The first option would be sooo cool though!

Hey @ChippyGaming,

Don't how long it's been since Ziggy's last shown his face, but I know before 1.3.1 we shared the idea of making a Guitar Hero, or pianola, by hoiking the player against the world border while the player uses the bell. Since the screen centre does not move while the player still does a bit, you can force (more than just a rhythm) a melody while clicking in the same spot. Both the harp and bell encompass an octave of pitch, each tile being a half-tone. Obviously the song can only be as long as the world is long. You also have to think up some kind of metronome.

Back
Top Bottom