Casual Random Chitchat Thread

I think Labor Of Love should add an optional Microsoft account system for better linking(say, if your Xbox that you play Terraria on broke and you want that same data on your new Nintendo Switch)

MS accounts are not in N. switch iirc.

I have a question: will I be able to buy terraria w/o credit card or paypal by buying in grocery store (for me in Germany e. g. Edeka or Rewe) a 10€ gift card then enter the code to get the money on your steam acc? Also how to get that you have both vanilla terraria and TML on the same pc?

And here I am with more wondering about the weirdness that is the english language.

Why is it first second and third rather onest twond and threerd, or even oneth twoth and threeth?

Firstly, that doesn't answer me at all. Secondly, I knew that already.

Edit: Actually, good point, I don't know a single language that doesn't do it. But why do they do it?

Last edited:
Last edited:
More question about the weirdness of english language.
What's the difference between a muffin and a cupcake?

Pretty sure muffins have little to no frosting while cupcakes have a lot of it. At least that's the difference where I live.

who here likes both minecraft and terraria? I just want to find out
edit: I found out minecraft is only 1 month older than terraria, and minecraft was officially released exactly 1 day after terraria :D

Last edited:
Well, adding on to what others before me have said, a cupcake generally seems to be what it says if is, a cake, but in a different size and shape. Meanwhile a muffin seems to be a bit more broad from what I can tell, ranging from some that seems quite similar to cupcakes, to the more typical ones that seem more like bread. And another thing is that cupcakes don't normally have things like nuts or berries mixed in, while muffins do.

And now for a completely different thing of the english language.
I don't like the word potable meaning drinkable. It's just too confusing.
Like, just say drinkable. Like, if I didn't know potable meant drinkable, I'd just assume it meant that something could be put in a pot.

And now for a completely different thing of the english language.
I don't like the word potable meaning drinkable. It's just too confusing.
Like, just say drinkable. Like, if I didn't know potable meant drinkable, I'd just assume it meant that something could be put in a pot.

Potable generally means safe to drink, versus being physically possible to drink.

Acid is drinkable, but it is not potable. It's frequently used to specify safe-for-consumption water, versus contaminated/unpurified water.

1660442059938.png

It looks like both pot and potable share a possible very ancient origin, but took entirely different routes to get to where we are now.

Language usually isn't "logical", it evolves naturally over time. Things may be confusing, but are often the way they are for a reason (that reason doesn't have to be a logical reason, its just a reason that led to it being the way it is).

You're right to associate the two, since both potion and potable come from the same Latin root, potare (to drink).

Similarly, lotion (originally meaning a liquid used when washing) is related to the species name of the common North American raccoon, Procyon lotor ("before-the-dog washer", because it seems to wash its food and was at one time thought to be a forerunner of canines). The brightest star in the constellation Canis Minor was named Procyon by the ancient Greeks, since it precedes Sirius, the "Dog Star" in Canis Major and brightest star in Earth's sky other than our sun, across the sky.

And another piece of weirdness of the english language.
Proper nouns. What makes them proper? Why aren't the things that are literally called nouns proper nouns? Why are nouns improper nouns? Are there semiproper nouns?

Also, a bit unrelated, but why does "noun" sound so weird?

Back
Top Bottom