[Showcase/Project] A Compact Fishing Complex and More

okay, here goes nothing

my tech boys walked me through the zipping a world file steps
thank fudge for gaming buddies :D

oh, and I had the chance to test it out a good hour
as the jungle grass grows it'll overwrite the hallowed and the right side of the complex so I'm eager to replace those with jungle temple blocks
I tried preventing grass growing by placing walls behind the jungle blocks but that didn't prevent growth
the only other alternative I can think of to try is to find a block that does not make connected textures with jungle mud and fill in those holes... not holding much hope for that solution though, but I'm keeping the area accessible just so I can clear it periodically of excess jungle grass :)

Attachments

• Vicious_Utopia.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 313
Last edited:
@Kisk, you can stop jungle plants from growing by making sure that there is no empty space above and (maybe) below your jungle grass. You can do that by having only vertical columns of jungle grass with no "ladder rungs" between them. It's safe to have 2 block wide columns with empty spaces between them but you also need to put caps on the top and bottom of the columns to make sure that nothing grows there.

I happened upon this

Could anyone check? Sorry I'm not too versed on the matter. I just wanna see the original compact fishing pond updated.

I checked it out and that video describes a technique kind of similar to what @Kisk uses to put horizontal bounds of where the biome is active. It looks like it is set up so that, other than forest (which is the lack of any other biome), each of 7 biomes is set up so that it's only active in a 2-tile wide area and, interestingly, does so in a way so that none of the biomes overlaps any other. This overcomes the weirdness of my mark 2 complex where the biomes do overlap to an extent. I think this is a great idea actually and one that @Kisk 's setup does too. By the way, the video does have a written description that corrects a few points mentioned in the video, although I don't think it has the problem of the mushroom biome solved (which might require an underground mushroom biome, not a surface one).

Hmmm... I think I'll rework my own complex with these ideas and even try my hand at adding an ocean biome.

:merchantsigh:

I checked it out and that video describes a technique kind of similar to what @Kisk uses to put horizontal bounds of where the biome is active. It looks like it is set up so that, other than forest (which is the lack of any other biome), each of 7 biomes is set up so that it's only active in a 2-tile wide area and, interestingly, does so in a way so that none of the biomes overlaps any other. This overcomes the weirdness of my mark 2 complex where the biomes do overlap to an extent. I think this is a great idea actually and one that @Kisk 's setup does too. By the way, the video does have a written description that corrects a few points mentioned in the video, although I don't think it has the problem of the mushroom biome solved (which might require an underground mushroom biome, not a surface one).
Hey, I'm the guy who did the video! I really appreciate that you watched it.
About the mushroom biome, even though I said in the description that it needs more mushroom tiles to effectively fish on it, it doesn't seem that is the case. The wiki says that you need 200-201 tiles from a mushroom biome so you could fish for the Amanitia Fungifin, I was doing some tests only with the blocks I placed on the video and it seems to work. Maybe the 200 tile requirement was from previous version? Currently I use TEdit to change the Angler's quest for the fish I want (I don't know if this messes anything internally), then I can try to catch it, tried it with an Amanitia Fungifin and it seems to work on both surface and underground water level. Tested it on 1.4.0.4, more than one time.
I guess it is just working somehow.

I went and watched the video as well f1n4l, nice tight design ^_^
Fisherpeople unite!

and thanks for the tips on the jungle PapaBear, much appreciated

thanks for the world kisk, I'm having fun messing around with it trying to integrate NPC happiness into it hahaha. So the Goblin's got to be Underground and the Mechanic has to be in the snow...

Ah, the this had a link. Derp!`:confused:

Really like how the biome swap works out on that video! The lack of overlap makes transitioning so smooth as well! Building is also not boggled by many priority considerations either!

Best part however is how it leaves quite a bit of space to both sides of the pools for building something else and the blocks to the sides can be contained fairly easily and be made into features rather than stuff to hide offscreen. The sand being on level with the bottom pool is a little annoying as it limits the floor type, but that can be worked around simplyenough.

I’ll keep my current setup, but will make something similar once Switch eventually updates, though Im hella happy with the Old Ones Army update recently!

Here's what I have so far after modifying @Kisk 's fishing world.

- Arms Dealer, Nurse, Goblin Tinkerer, and Mechanic are optimized (you can tell by checking their prices of things like the Minishark). Be sure to speak to each in their respective biomes (Arms Dealer in the Desert, Tinkerer in the Underground and Mechanic in the Snow for example.)

- Witch Doctor and Dryad are as good as I can get em at the moment.

- Party Girl is just there because there's Hallow and if you're like me you buy a lot of bubbles for Cute Fishron to swim through and that can get expensive. I tried adding the zoologist nearby but that made the prices go up so without creating a new biome a bit farther away doesn't seem possible.

- Feel free to suggest more optimization. I'm not sure what I'll try to optimize next, some don't really matter because you hardly ever buy anything from them and some don't even sell anything at all.

I had to move the ice fishing spot a bit to get the Arms Dealer out of "Villager" distance with the Mechanic and Tinkerer.

Attachments

• ViciousNPCS.v1.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 209
Can I just copy the fishing complexes to my world using Tedit? Its been years since I last used it, dunno if it is fully updated to 1.4. .

Anyways, great job everyone, it is helping me a lot

I'm new to Terraria, and just spent... a while, building the fishing outpost listed in the OP. I didn't realize that things had changed much for fishing in 1.4.
Does anyone know if the OP's fishing setup still works? I really hope I didn't just waste my time.

Edit: Wow, I should probably read the whole thread before I post. I think I got it!

I'm new to Terraria, and just spent... a while, building the fishing outpost listed in the OP. I didn't realize that things had changed much for fishing in 1.4.
Does anyone know if the OP's fishing setup still works? I really hope I didn't just waste my time.

Edit: Wow, I should probably read the whole thread before I post. I think I got it!

Snow went from 300 to 1500 so if your snow looks around 300 it wouldn't be enough and you should use the new layouts from the last couple pages.

Sorry! I just edited the OP to warn others that 1.4 breaks the fishing complex. A little late I know.

:merchantcry:

oh niiice smeagolheart ^_^, I'll be checking out what you've done later today !

I too have been pouring over the happiness page trying to figure out how I want to organise my people
on that world I shared, I originally thought I'd build the main castle, with little old style cubby holes for when I call the whole court to come pay their respects, and for parties of course :p
and then set up little villages, but the fishing complex came first of course

right now, I'm taking a break from learning all the things on journey for a bit of classic master, and doing the start over spreading the npcs out and working out how npc happiness actually works

I'm considering doing the whole 'logic problem' math grid to figure out if I can string NPC houses across the top of the world, one by one, in a long chain...
Question to all of you, as I don't have much experience with late game Terraria, is which NPCs are top priority for getting the 25% max gold discount?

Party Girl for bubbles.... from smeagolheart's post ^_^ is one
Mechanic for automation?
Do the Goblin Tinkerer's reforges get affected by the 25% discount?

(edit) Oops, I just realised this is diverting the fishing thread, I'm going to go look for a NPC Happiness mega thread and continue this topic pursuit there if/when I find it ^_^

Last edited:
Hey, I'm the guy who did the video! I really appreciate that you watched it.
About the mushroom biome, even though I said in the description that it needs more mushroom tiles to effectively fish on it, it doesn't seem that is the case. The wiki says that you need 200-201 tiles from a mushroom biome so you could fish for the Amanitia Fungifin, I was doing some tests only with the blocks I placed on the video and it seems to work. Maybe the 200 tile requirement was from previous version? Currently I use TEdit to change the Angler's quest for the fish I want (I don't know if this messes anything internally), then I can try to catch it, tried it with an Amanitia Fungifin and it seems to work on both surface and underground water level. Tested it on 1.4.0.4, more than one time.
I guess it is just working somehow.

I used the schematic you provided. So far, its working very well. Couldn't test that much, will test more during the weekend.

Well the topic is 'A Compact Fishing Complex and More'. To me, NPC happiness which requires specific biomes and heights is a natural fit with a fishing complex. I'd say it definitely figures into the 'And More' of the topic but if people think it belongs elsewhere we can start a new thread....

good point
I found out that the Demolitionist doesn't consider 2 underground desert as underground, his prices only changed once I scooched him over to 2 underground in pure forest

and I quickly checked out your file in Terramap, verrrry clever what you did there smeagolheart ^^_^^

Can we combine Hallow and Sky Island fishing? I didn't notice if you tried that or ruled it out in your original PapaBear.

Do the Goblin Tinkerer's reforges get affected by the 25% discount?
good point
I found out that the Demolitionist doesn't consider 2 underground desert as underground, his prices only changed once I scooched him over to 2 underground in pure forest

and I quickly checked out your file in Terramap, verrrry clever what you did there smeagolheart ^^_^^

Can we combine Hallow and Sky Island fishing? I didn't notice if you tried that or ruled it out in your original PapaBear.

Yeah it has to be a pure biome for NPC happiness (not fishing). So Tinkerer likes the Underground and loves the Mechanic but the Mechanic loves the Tinkerer and likes the Snow and dislikes the Underground. This means the only way to get the Tinkerer (and Mechanic) completely happy is to put him in Forest Underground but within 25 blocks of the Mechanic who must be housed above ground in the Snow biome*. That's why these fishing biomes are so very interesting to me because they are all about putting very specific biomes in very specific locations.

*you can speak to her from the underground snow biome and get the bonus it seems, as long as her house is located on the surface snow, odd.

nods nods, from the wiki, it looks like they calculate happiness distances based on the tile that the npc stands on at night, the one the hanging head icon sits above when you assign the npc to a house

Just so. I've tested and seen that. But the other stuff is less clear to me. As I show here in this world each of the NPCs (except the Nurse*) is Max Happiness (selling Pylons for 7.5 gold). But if you add just one more NPC like anywhere nearby it screws up at least one person. I've tried and the distance doesn't seem exactly 120 blocks. I'm not sure where to measure from either from the farthest to nearest I would think but that doesn't seem to be accurate and usually it's just one NPC that increases his prices.

This is a modification of the excellent Fishing World Tutorial by @f1n4l

*I can't move the nurse into the Hallow because that messes up the other NPC pair (the tinkerer and the mechanic) and it doesn't matter a lot, she doesn't charge a whole lot anyway.)

Attachments

• Fishing_Tutorial_2.wld
    2.7 MB · Views: 250
Back
Top Bottom