Standalone Super Terraria World - MMORPG Style Mod - Server and Client Mod

Discussion in 'Works-in-Progress' started by Flippi, Sep 27, 2014.

1. pakos2835

pakos2835 Terrarian

but in this case we can start play with him, it better than nothing

2. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

Sep 28th 2016
    It's that time of the year again, autumn! What better way to celebrate than to drop some leaves while you're using the Magic Leaf! That's right, if you didn't figure it out we've got another release of STW!

This release brings STW to the current code base of Terraria (1.3.3.2) along with a slew of bug fixes found by you guys, and @Khaios, but who's counting! Besides the bugs we've updated and added a couple new things to the game:
    • Added a new friendly NPC named Pat to Ayeswell.
    • Added a new Player Owned World (POW) to Kriki! This one is a bit chilly... Winter must be coming!
    • Added leaf particles while using the Magic Leaf - thanks @Yoraiz0r and others at Re-Logic for the new tree poofing effect which made this possible! :D
    • Updated the spears right click ability to a charged attack!
    • Updated Mana regen logic! No more standing around while waiting for your mana to to regen - Mages rejoice!

Patreon:
    In parallel with this release of STW, we are releasing our Official Trailer of STW and our Patreon page. Come check out the page if you'd like a bit of laughs as well as a chance to help get more involved in supporting and developing STW.

Without further ado here is our trailer:

Let us know what you think of the trailer via our Social Forum, Discord, Twitter, or our WiP Thread!

As always we've got some other updates and bug fixes in this release, and to see them all you can check out the change log below. Several of these bugs were reported to us via Discord which we strongly recommend using if you want to report a bug to us or just tell us something that you like about STW! You can also report any bugs in our bug thread.

Code:
    ********************** Version 1.12a *********************
        * Updated STW to Terraria 1.3.3.2.

* Updated Spears right click ability to a charged
          attack.

* Updated Mana regen logic - Mage players rejoice!

* Added the NPC Pat in Ayeswell.

* Added a Snow Biome Themed Player Owned World in
          Kriki.

* Added leaf particles to the Magic Leaf when used.

* Town NPCs no longer attack Ferrousanguis Soldiers.

* No more hammering tiles outside of PoWs.

* Merchant no longer sells Shurikens.

* Demolitionist no longer sells explosives. D:

* Snake tile room in the Pyramid Dungeon will always
          reset now when the player Saves and Exits.

* Fixed a bug caused by grabbing inventory items
          while using a right click attack.

* Fixed shorcut not being triggered for the boulder
          dash room in the Pyramid Dungeon.

* Fixed shortcut not being triggered for the first
          spike jump room.

* Fixed a bug that prevented players from getting
          items from the Frozen Merchant.

* Fixed a bug that prevented Giant Worms from giving
          XP.

* Fixed a bug that caused backgrounds to now show
          how we indented.

* Fixed some text formatting for a couple quests.

This is a player notification list for when I make posts about a STW update that is being released or coming soon. If you want to be on this list just let me know!
    @Temmie
    @Jestex
    @CursedMoose
    @Flippi
    @HeroGabe
    @Coghner
    @Theo
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 6, 2016, Original Post Date: Sep 29, 2016 ---
    Oct 5th 2016
    Wow guys, just wow! Last week we released the newest version of STW alongside our Official Trailer and Patreon page. You guys loved it and we are very appreciative and thankful. In just one week we've had over 30,000 downloads! Thank you!

Now, we've been busy listening to feedback and bug reports and so we have another release for you! This one includes a Linux release of the mod, some QoL updates, and MANY bug fixes! You can check out the change log below to see all of the updates.

Let us know what you think of the update via our Social Forum, Discord, Twitter, or our WiP Thread!

Several of these bugs were reported to us via Discord which we strongly recommend using if you want to report a bug to us or just tell us something that you like about STW! You can also report any bugs in our bug thread.

Code:
    ********************* Version 1.12.1a ********************
        * Linux release of STW!

* Minor updates to the Ferrousanguis, Sivania, and
          Odin's Fjord maps.

* Torches now throw an ember when left clicking
          except in Player Owned Worlds.

* Added the ability to remap hotkeys for Chemistry,
          Quests, Lore, and Game Tips menus.

* Several potions have had their sprites updated.

* Player can no longer go to the west of the Viking
          ship in Odin's Fjord.

* The Ferrousanguis doors in the desert outpost do not
          need to be opened to enter Idla's office anymore.

* Cloud in a Bottle has no sell value at shops.

* Falling Stars no longer fall.

* Jimmy (Angler) now lets you know how many minutes
          you have left in your challenge.

* Added an attempted fix for the out of memory
          exception on world transfers.

* Updated smart cursor to work a bit better when
          mining.

* Updated how Player Owned World files are named
          so that players with unique characters won't
          crash when they enter their POW.

* Disabled world generation showing for Instance
          Worlds.

* Fixed display for Silver Patron Helm.

* Fixed display for Gold Patron Helm.

* Fixed Pat's head from not showing up on the world
          map.

* Fixed several bugs caused by using a weapons right
          click attack and switching items.

* Fixed a bug where you could use a staff for 0 mana.

* Fixed a bug that caused players to endlessly mine
          ore for XP.

* Fixed a bug that caused the game to freeze up when
          fishing.

* Fixed a bug that caused game to freeze up when
          a biome goblin spawned.

* Fixed a bug that caused "settling liquids" freezing
          when generating an Instance World.

* Fixed a null reference error when leaving Instance
          Worlds.

* Fixed NPCs hitting some things incorrectly.

* Fixed biome goblin portal animation.

* Fixed Merchant's Diary not appearing in the Lore
          menu.

* Minor text updates.

This is a player notification list for when I make posts about a STW update that is being released or coming soon. If you want to be on this list just let me know!
    @Temmie
    @Jestex
    @CursedMoose
    @Flippi
    @HeroGabe
    @Coghner
    @Theo
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 13, 2016 ---
    Oct 12th 2016
    Another busy week for the team fixing bugs and getting the Mac release of the mod out! Not much more to say other than that, so get back in to playing and give a big welcome to our Mac fans who will finally be able to join in!

You can now check all known bugs here: https://trello.com/b/ApqfNuNL/changelogs-and-bugfixes
    You can now submit bugs via this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd5lbdSF1vVEYA0UD-Ty2-S3pJ_npFM1WrRGCydHgRo_34rHg/viewform

You can check out the change log below to see all of the updates.

Let us know what you think of the update via our Social Forum, Discord, Twitter, or our WiP Thread!

Several of these bugs were reported to us via Discord which we strongly recommend using if you want to report a bug to us or just tell us something that you like about STW! You can also report any bugs in our bug thread.

Code:
    ********************* Version 1.12.2a ********************
        * Mac release of STW!

* Instance Portals now take priority over other
          teleports.

* Minecart Junction no longer over chargest players.

* Bad teleports in the Minecart Junction have been
          fixed.

* Guards no longer target the player if they are
          attacked by an enemy NPC.

* Background rooms that have doors closed no longer
          require the door to be opened to enter.

* Fixed typos - keep those reports coming!

* Fixed display for Silver Patron Helm.

* Fixed a right click bug.

@Temmie
    @Jestex
    @CursedMoose
    @Flippi
    @HeroGabe
    @Coghner
    @Theo
    @MaxMinecrafter23
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 15, 2016 ---
    Oct 15th 2016
    Normally I would release two version of STW in the same week, but the bug we've fixed I feel is too important to wait until next week. We've fixed the bug that causes MANY players to crash when they enter into Sivania. This error is the System.OutOfMemory Exception. We hope that players will now find their STW experience more enjoyable. There are a few other minor bug fixes as well as the Merchant NPC in the desert getting a new look!

Code:
    ********************* Version 1.12.3a ********************
        * Made Super Terraria World 'Large Address Aware' this
          fixes the System.OutOfMemory crash several players
          receive when entering into Sivania.

* Can no longer travel to the East of the Flesh Pit in
          the Ferrousanguis Kingdom.

* Updated the spawn point logic in Instance Worlds so
          that players do not fall to their deaths when
          spawning.

* Graphical update to the Merchant NPC found in the
          Desert Outpost of Sivania.

@Temmie
    @Jestex
    @CursedMoose
    @Flippi
    @HeroGabe
    @Coghner
    @Theo
    @MaxMinecrafter23
    @shobiwan77
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 30, 2016 ---
    Nov 29th 2016
    With full stomachs from Thanksgiving we bring to you the next release of STW and a status update on multiplayer!

We've got a small release for you all today, which includes bug fixes as well as adding our top tier Patreon rewards. One reward that you all can enjoy is the new town NPC Talim Dao, if you're interested in some background lore. Something to remember with NPCs that are created via our Patrons is that these NPC are being designed to help bring to life the towns by allow some of our biggest fans to add their own NPCs.

Now let's talk multiplayer! Something else that has been included in this release is A LOT of behind the scene work for getting multiplayer up and running. We've completely rewritten how the Terraria Server and Client talk to each other - which is the first major step in trying to accomplish what we want. Now that we've handle the hardest part, we've got to just work on the messages (also known as packets) that the server and client send to each other as well as server side persistent storage of player data. We've got more than a handful of packets written which currently allows for multiple clients to download a character and play part of the tutorial on Tutorial Island.

We are going to be working very hard on getting the FULL tutorial playable (not without bugs most likely) by the end of the year. We will be inviting our Patrons to come try it out first. Afterwards, we'll most likely invite some members in the community to partake in a closed beta(s). Finally, a stress test open beta would happen. Currently there are no ETAs for the closed beta(s) or the open beta as these both strongly rely on the completion of the tutorial as well as development times from when our Patrons try it out.

I hope to give you all more information about multiplayer in the up-coming months while we also releasing some small content updates.

Code:
    ********************* Version 1.12.4a ********************
        * Added Patreon vanity outfits.

* Added Talim Dao - A unique town NPC with a
          background story.

* A Ferrousanguis Soldier in the Praesidium Fortress
          has been given a name.

* Fixed a bug with quest chests that caused the quest
          logic to not advance.

* Crystal Shards no longer have a sell value.

* Fixed some typos - keep the reports coming.

* Fixed some minor map bugs in Sivania.

* Fixed some minor map bugs on Tutorial Island.

@Temmie
    @Jestex
    @CursedMoose
    @Flippi
    @HeroGabe
    @Coghner
    @Theo
    @MaxMinecrafter23
    @shobiwan77
    @Stupidlybad

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  3. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

Nov 29th 2016
    With full stomachs from Thanksgiving we bring to you the next release of STW and a status update on multiplayer!

We've got a small release for you all today, which includes bug fixes as well as adding our top tier Patreon rewards. One reward that you all can enjoy is the new town NPC Talim Dao, if you're interested in some background lore. Something to remember with NPCs that are created via our Patrons is that these NPC are being designed to help bring to life the towns by allow some of our biggest fans to add their own NPCs.

Now let's talk multiplayer! Something else that has been included in this release is A LOT of behind the scene work for getting multiplayer up and running. We've completely rewritten how the Terraria Server and Client talk to each other - which is the first major step in trying to accomplish what we want. Now that we've handle the hardest part, we've got to just work on the messages (also known as packets) that the server and client send to each other as well as server side persistent storage of player data. We've got more than a handful of packets written which currently allows for multiple clients to download a character and play part of the tutorial on Tutorial Island.

We are going to be working very hard on getting the FULL tutorial playable (not without bugs most likely) by the end of the year. We will be inviting our Patrons to come try it out first. Afterwards, we'll most likely invite some members in the community to partake in a closed beta(s). Finally, a stress test open beta would happen. Currently there are no ETAs for the closed beta(s) or the open beta as these both strongly rely on the completion of the tutorial as well as development times from when our Patrons try it out.

I hope to give you all more information about multiplayer in the up-coming months while we also releasing some small content updates.

Code:
    ********************* Version 1.12.4a ********************
        * Added Patreon vanity outfits.

* Added Talim Dao - A unique town NPC with a
          background story.

* A Ferrousanguis Soldier in the Praesidium Fortress
          has been given a name.

* Fixed a bug with quest chests that caused the quest
          logic to not advance.

* Crystal Shards no longer have a sell value.

* Fixed some typos - keep the reports coming.

* Fixed some minor map bugs in Sivania.

* Fixed some minor map bugs on Tutorial Island.

@Temmie
    @Jestex
    @CursedMoose
    @Flippi
    @HeroGabe
    @Coghner
    @Theo
    @MaxMinecrafter23
    @shobiwan77

SamTerarrium and darthmorf like this.
  4. Abbot

Abbot Terrarian

New user experience

In short I didn't find this game that much fun. I am really hoping this project works out which is why I'm leaving feedback here. Below are notes and such from my first several hours of exposure.

Are you assuming that the player is familiar with the base Terraria game?

jumping through holes while climbing ropes is counter-intuitive because sometimes you must face away from the hole when you jump.

When reading the tutorial information the game should be paused.

On intro island you break your pixaxe and have to remake it. This implies that items have a durability. So far I haven't seen any indication that a pixaxe (or anything else) will break after repeated use. This makes the pixaxe remaking bit very misleading. Perhaps you should change what is being made during your crafting introduction.

For an RPG this feels really really linear. It feels like I'm on rails the whole time.

What's with all the chests and barrels that don't do anything? Is it supposed to simulate the RPG axiom of, "search every empty crevice for loot"?

The instances are cool idea, but I just avoid them because
    1. It fills up my inventory with stuff that's only useful in the player home instance.
    2. I die too soon before getting to explore and then incur the loss of money and loot.

Wand of sparking feels extremely lame even if it is a magic intro weapon.

I like the fireworks for leveling up.

The railcart section was fun. It would be better if there were multiple, harder paths to navigate that had rewards at the end.

In the mines there are doors that teleport players around the map but give no indication of where the player will wind up. I hate those. Would it be possible to draw a line on the map so you can see which door links where? Mazes and areas based on teleportation navigation just feel bad.

More NPC interaction would be nice. Phrases could be randomized or more side quests given.

Fishing is clunky. The bait shop guy gives a quest. Is it one special fish per body of water? What do you do with extra quest item fish if you only partially complete a quest? What does it mean in the item description, "worth 10000 belles?"

Flippi likes this.
  5. Mnemonic_Horse.EXE

Mnemonic_Horse.EXE Steampunker

Is there an installer for the Mac? I've tried four times to install this but nothing works.

6. SamTerarrium

SamTerarrium Spazmatism

The mod is great!
    I love the background stories and some npcs who tells the quest and I love some items and weapons and some AWESOME BUILDS :D I can't wait to play it on my computer :)

Flippi likes this.
  7. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

I'm sorry to hear that, but the fact that you took the time to write up feedback is greatly appreciated.

Yes, this mod requires Terraria and it has always been assumed that players of our mod are previous Terraria players. This could change in the future.

Can you be more specific on this? I'd like to know where exactly you're talking about to try and understand if it's something that was designed to be like this or if it's an accidental side effect.

I could see this being true if we were planning on doing a single player version of the mod, but the goal is to be multiplayer and you'll have players around you doing the tutorial. Simply put the game cannot pause. All of the information (Game Tips) that appear during the tutorial can be read at any point in time - even before the they are suggested to you, thus you can always come back to them.

I can see why you are saying this, but I disagree. In our specific tutorial it is apparent based on the sprite and name that the pickaxe is flawed. Because of this it breaks. Moving forward no pickaxes that are created are flawed. Furthermore, their is no mention in a Game Tip that anything has durability. This is literally a "plot" point of the tutorial quest. With that said, I do understand where you're coming from and like to hear if you have any suggestions on how to eliminate this misconception without changing the fact that the Damaged Pickaxe breaks after mining enough copper to repair it.

First, I need to ask how much did you actually play? Did you complete all of the quests?
    Second, you have to remember that this is a 2D Sidescroller and therefore there are some limitations on how you can "discover" things in the world which might cause some linearity, but in fact there are a few different quests that you can do and the order doesn't matter at all.
    Third, we are still in development and more content will be added.
    Lastly, can you explain what made it feel linear to you?

The chests and barrels are decoration only at this time - you cannot even open them. There are a few chests though that can be opened, but are currently empty. This is because we have a chest reward system in the works.

1. Instances worlds are really designed around multiplayer. All of that loot will be shared among everyone that manages to get in before the portal closes.
    2. They are meant to be hard as they contain a lot of resources. You'll need to be careful not to die.

While it may feel extremely lame, I have to ask you to compare it to the intro sword and arrow. They are all on par with each other, and the wand actually has a pretty good DPS if you manage your mana.

Good! :D

Definitely something to expand upon in the future for sure!

When we first designed the area it was supposed to be a maze-like. We've heard various feedback about the mines and so we'll eventually spend some time discussing this internally.

These are things we want to do too, but we do this in our free time. Pretty much it's on the list, but lower priority. :p

Fishing is very much based on Terraria's fishing. We've only made the Angler's fishing quest more challenging and rewarding. If you cannot catch all three fish you can still turn in the ones you do catch for a reward.
    The tool tip for the Golden Arowana is an "Easter Egg" to the game Animal Crossing: http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Arowana

The Mac installer is currently being worked on. Come join us here: https://discord.gg/CQArFC2 we'll help you get it installed manually until then.

Bob The Letdown and darthmorf like this.
  8. NightArcher

NightArcher Spazmatism

Does multiplayer still work through host and play?

9. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

No it does not. This option has been removed from STW's Main Menu.

10. Bob The Letdown

Bob The Letdown Terrarian

I think be able to go back into an instance world (the ones from goblins) is a bit weird (unless it's been changed I haven't played in a while) shouldn't the instance delete if you die because you can go right back in and the ores respawn. One other thing when you mine ores in instances u get shards I think they're called. Why? Why not get the ores there's not much you can do with them in an instance
    I do hope this is still how it was when I played last and I don't seem like a rambling idiot.

11. Al Fahrel

Al Fahrel Skeletron Prime

When is the 1.3.4 getting supported?

12. VintageAura

VintageAura Terrarian

I tried to uninstall it, but when I opened my game it still came up with an error message ( I figured out my version wasn't currently supported)

13. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

Instance worlds in our single player version of STW were more of a showcase of what's to come in multiplayer. You won't be able to reenter the portals after you die. Also the ore shards are there as a way to control amount of resource brought back from the instance. Currently 2 shards equal 1 ore.

We are focusing a lot on our multiplayer closed beta. Once we feel like we are ready to upgrade to a new Terraria base we will. Currently we don't need the features that 1.3.4 has brought in. STW is compatible regardless.

I'm confused. STW crashed or Terraria crashed after you uninstalled STW? What was the error message? What version of STW do you have that is not supported? Most importantly, do you still need help? Just let me know!

14. Al Fahrel

Al Fahrel Skeletron Prime

The ore shards are a good idea, but I hate the fact that they take up more inventory slots. What about turning all ores into shards when you enter the Instance worlds only to return to normal Ores when you return to the original world?

Flippi likes this.
  15. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

I'll bring this up in a future discussion. :)

Al Fahrel likes this.
  16. LukasSwordhard

LukasSwordhard Terrarian

If anyone have the same bug as i did,(when i tried to install the STW it wont open and at the second time it said "Please launch the game from your steam client", all you have to do is relog in steam and it should work..... i totallly didnt spend 1 and a half hour trying to fix this :D.

17. Bob The Letdown

Is there going to be pvp in multiplayer and if so you could possibly make some instances more rewarding but activate pvp if there where more than say five people because you would be far to spread out to go in the same portal

18. Khaios

Khaios Retinazer

[​IMG]

Hello everyone!

This coming Sunday, we will be hosting a closed test of our multiplayer build! Our wonderful patrons are welcome to join us for the fun!
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 22, 2017, Original Post Date: Jan 18, 2017 ---
    Hello! Just a reminder to our Patreon supporters. Multiplayer test session will begin in twelve hours! Join us on our Discord Patreon channel around that time for your download links. Patrons can find more information on this Patreon Post.

Flippi, Theo, darthmorf and 1 other person like this.
  19. SkitZ

SkitZ Terrarian

It seems really really fun but it'll be awesome if you can add GOG Terraria support because i bought it on GOG instead of Steam and now i cant play it. But still, it looks really fun. Definitely gonna try it once you add the support.

20. Bob The Letdown

I'm having problems with starting up stw it starts loading then after a few secs it just stops I've restarted both stw and terraria but it won't work