Standalone Super Terraria World - MMORPG Style Mod - Server and Client Mod

Discussion in 'Works-in-Progress' started by Flippi, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

[​IMG]

Welcome to Super Terraria World!
    You may be wondering “what is Super Terraria World.” Super Terraria World (STW) is a standalone role-playing mod, which will be kept up-to-date with any official release of Terraria. The primary goal of this mod is to bring a MMORPG element to this wonderful game. Currently, we are only releasing Single Player Alpha versions of STW. This is so we can focus all of our effort on creating plenty of quality content for you all to enjoy. We thank you for expressing interest in our mod, and we hope that you enjoy playing it as much as we enjoy creating it!

Official Trailer:

Feel free to join our Social Forum! There, we discuss all things STW. Chat with us on Discord. Follow us on twitter to keep up-to-date on all of the latest announcements and teasers. You can also find more information on Super Terraria World’s Wiki.

Roadmap to Multiplayer - Last updated May 21st, 2017

Click here to download STW!
    Current Version: 1.12.4a Single Player - Nov 29th, 2016
    Nov 29th 2016
    With full stomachs from Thanksgiving we bring to you the next release of STW and a status update on multiplayer!

We've got a small release for you all today, which includes bug fixes as well as adding our top tier Patreon rewards. One reward that you all can enjoy is the new town NPC Talim Dao, if you're interested in some background lore. Something to remember with NPCs that are created via our Patrons is that these NPC are being designed to help bring to life the towns by allow some of our biggest fans to add their own NPCs.

Now let's talk multiplayer! Something else that has been included in this release is A LOT of behind the scene work for getting multiplayer up and running. We've completely rewritten how the Terraria Server and Client talk to each other - which is the first major step in trying to accomplish what we want. Now that we've handle the hardest part, we've got to just work on the messages (also known as packets) that the server and client send to each other as well as server side persistent storage of player data. We've got more than a handful of packets written which currently allows for multiple clients to download a character and play part of the tutorial on Tutorial Island.

We are going to be working very hard on getting the FULL tutorial playable (not without bugs most likely) by the end of the year. We will be inviting our Patrons to come try it out first. Afterwards, we'll most likely invite some members in the community to partake in a closed beta(s). Finally, a stress test open beta would happen. Currently there are no ETAs for the closed beta(s) or the open beta as these both strongly rely on the completion of the tutorial as well as development times from when our Patrons try it out.

I hope to give you all more information about multiplayer in the up-coming months while we also releasing some small content updates.

You can check out the change log below to see all of the updates.

Let us know what you think of the update via our Social Forum, Discord, Twitter, or our WiP Thread!

Several of these bugs were reported to us via Discord which we strongly recommend using if you want to report a bug to us or just tell us something that you like about STW! You can also report any bugs in our bug thread.

Code:
    ********************* Version 1.12.4a ********************
        * Added Patreon vanity outfits.

* Added Talim Dao - A unique town NPC with a
          background story.

* A Ferrousanguis Soldier in the Praesidium Fortress
          has been given a name.

* Fixed a bug with quest chests that caused the quest
          logic to not advance.

* Crystal Shards no longer have a sell value.

* Fixed some typos - keep the reports coming.

* Fixed some minor map bugs in Sivania.

* Fixed some minor map bugs on Tutorial Island.

Screenshots and Sprites:
    Disclaimer: These sprites are made by @Jestex and to be used for Super Terraria World only unless otherwise specified.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Slimy Mushroom
    Ironskin
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rage

Ammo Reservation
    [​IMG] Mushroom Slime
    [​IMG] Copper
    [​IMG]Tin
    [​IMG] Iron
    [​IMG] Lead
    [​IMG]Silver
    [​IMG]Tungsten
    [​IMG] Gold
    [​IMG]Platinum
    [​IMG] Meteorite
    [​IMG]Demonite
    [​IMG]Crimson
    [​IMG]Hellstone
    [​IMG]Cobalt
    [​IMG]Palladium
    [​IMG]Mythril
    [​IMG]Adamantium
    [​IMG]Orichalcum
    [​IMG]Titanium
    [​IMG]Hallowed
    [​IMG]Shroomite
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Click on a quest to see your current progress of that quest! We don't want to reveal any hints about the quest, so we only have this one screenshot to share.
    Chemistry Skill:
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the chemistry skill Icon/stats and also the new Hero menu button at the bottom of the screen.

Hero Menu:
    [​IMG]
    Clicking the Hero button in the bottom of the screen will bring up the Hero Menu. Currently we only have the Chemistry category implemented, but other useful information about your hero will be here.

Tier 1 Potions:
    [​IMG]
    All potions are locked and need to be unlocked. If you hover over that potion's Icon you will see useful information.

Unlock Points:
    [​IMG]
    Every two levels you will earn a point to unlock a potion of your choice. Unlocked potions remain lit which can be seen here with the Ironskin Potion.

Unlocked Potions:
    [​IMG]
    Unlocked potions have a different description as well.

Non-Combat Skills:
    [​IMG]
    Your non-combat skills are displayed when you open your inventory ( ESC ). Just like your combat skills, if you hover your mouse over them you can see more details about the skill.

Mining Copper:
    [​IMG]
    Each ore gives a certain amount of experience. As seen here copper gives 6.

Mining Lead:
    [​IMG]
    Lead requires level 10 to mine. I only have a mining level of 2!

Non-Combat Skills:
    [​IMG]
    The Crafting skill!

Level up:
    [​IMG]
    Crafting levels are fast if you have the resources!

Combat Skills:[​IMG]
    Combat skills are displayed in the top of the screen near life. If you hover your mouse over a skill you can see more information about that skill.

Range:
    [​IMG]
    Doing some range combat

Level up!:
    [​IMG]
    Got a level up in range!

Equipping Armor:
    [​IMG]
    Armors now require different combat levels to equip.

Addition Screenshot gallery uploaded Aug 9th 2015: http://imgur.com/a/0kNr9

A Link Between Worlds:

Super Terraria World encompasses an area far beyond the current limitations of Terraria world sizes. To get around that limit, STW offers a new feature that connects all of the world saves together. By walking to the edge of a map, jumping on a boat, or entering a doorway, you can be moved smoothly from one world to another. As STW grows, you will eventually be able to head in one direction, and through world transitions, come full circle, ending right where you started!

More on Super Terraria World:
    For this mod, we are working to bring you a different take on the Terraria you know and love. To do that, we have made the worlds static, meaning players will not be able to build or destroy tiles in STW. There are, of course, some exceptions, as certain quests will ask you to place objects in specified areas. Our wish is not to hinder anybody’s creativity, and we are aware the importance of building in Terraria, so eventually you will be given special plots--small, private worlds, where you can build.

STW maps are designed for exploration. Even though you will not be able to dig, there will still be expansive dungeons and areas to explore. We wish to reward exploration. To that end, we are currently developing a reward system for chests. To add more depth to exploration, we have designed a feature which allows you to enter background rooms. Ever wondered what was inside a beautiful background-only build? Well now you can find out! Simply by pressing up (or in some cases, such as elevators, pressing down), you will be moved to a new area.

In addition to our changes to exploration, we have also altered how lighting will work. Your characters will now emit a dim source of light, passively. This is to help exploration of unlit areas. If the passive light is not enough, you will still be able to use light sources, such as torches. In STW, however, torches will eventually burn out and vanish. Alternately, there will be some areas which will negate your passive light, forcing you to use a torch, or navigate the area blind.

A Glimpse into the Regions of STW:
    Take a sneak peek into some of the released regions within Super Terraria World! Keep in mind that some areas may be kept secret for the time being, and there are many other areas still in development.

Ayeswell Inn:
    [​IMG]

Ayeswell Mine:
    [​IMG]

Ayeswell Vinyard:
    [​IMG]

Bait Shoppe:
    [​IMG]

Corrupt Shrine:
    [​IMG]

Cultists and Dryad:
    [​IMG]

Desert Outpost:
    [​IMG]

Ferrousanguis Outpost:
    [​IMG]

Fossil Cave:
    [​IMG]

Guide Hut:
    [​IMG]

Kitchen:
    [​IMG]

Mine Shafts:
    [​IMG]

Mushroom Slime Biome:
    [​IMG]

Pyramid:
    [​IMG]

Pyramid Teaser:
    [​IMG]

Sivania Church:[​IMG]

Sivania Lumbermill:
    [​IMG]

Viking Boat:
    [​IMG]

Dead Tree Village:
    [​IMG]

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!

Player Skills:
    In STW, characters will be able to gain experience in a variety of different skills, both combat and non-combat. While the skills listed below are currently the only skills available, we do have plans for adding more in the future.

Combat Skills:
    Currently, there are three combat skills in STW--melee, ranged, and magic. The summoner playstyle is currently included in magic, though we are considering making it separate. Each combat skill can be leveled up by gaining experience through killing creatures. If you kill a slime using a sword, you will be granted experience in the melee skill. Experience gained is determined by the amount of damage you do. This means if you hit a slime with your sword, then swap to a bow, hit it once more, then finish it off with a wand, you will be granted experience gains in all three combat skills, varying with how much damage you caused.

Leveling a combat skill increases a weapon’s damage modifier. The higher you level up your combat skills, the more damage you will be able to cause. In addition, armor in STW is restricted by combat skill level. Increasing your skill level will allow you to equip stronger armor types. Here is an example:
    [​IMG]

Non-Combat Skills:
    • Mining: This skill dictates which ore types you are allowed to mine. Higher tiered ores will require higher mining levels.
    • Crafting: This skill allows you to craft certain weapons, armor, accessories, and ammunition, as well as some quest items. Similarly to the mining skill, higher tiered crafting recipes will require a higher crafting skill level.
    • Chemistry: This skill allows you to brew new potions using raw ingredients which you can find or fish from various locations. As you level up your chemistry skill, you will be granted access to the chemistry potion tree, which will allow you to pick which potion you wish to learn. Gaining levels continues to unlock points to spend in this tree.
    • Fishing: Similar to fishing in Vanilla Terraria, though new and bigger fish will require a higher fishing level to catch.

Your Feedback is Key!
    The main reason we are releasing the single player alpha version of this mod, as it is being developed, is because we want you, the Terraria Community, to directly shape the development of STW. We want to know what you enjoy, what you didn’t enjoy, and what you would like to see added or removed. Please feel free to leave any comments or feedback regarding Super Terraria World at any time, and do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have. We will strive to answer your questions in a timely manner.

You can leave your comments or suggestions on this thread, on our social page, on twitter, in our Discord channel, or by sending a private message to one of our developers directly! Help us create the mod that you would love to play!

FAQ's
    • Q: How is this an MMO? A: Currently, the mod is only supported for single player, as we develop new content. When we do finally release multiplayer support, each server will contain a static world (one for each region in STW). Each of these servers can hold a maximum of 255 players. In theory, this will allow thousands of players to play the game, though they would have to be spread throughout various regions of STW. We want to look into creating multiple instances of the same world, so that more than 255 players can be in one region at a time.

• Q: If the world is static how do you replace ore? A: We have implemented a respawn feature to mining ore nodes. When you mine a chunk of ore, the area will become dark, and you will no longer be able to mine ore from that tile. Over time, the ore node will respawn, allowing you to re-mine it. There is a slight chance that the ore type will change when respawning (iron ore changing to lead, for example).

• Q: If the world is static can I build anything? A: The goal of STW is for us to give you a story to explore. Allowing players to build would compromise that story, and you would no longer experience the mod as originally intended. That being said, we do know the importance of building to most players (including ourselves), so that's why we've added Player Owned Worlds and Instance Worlds which can be accessed via portals. You can build and explore just like in Terraria!
    • Q: Is this going to be a single player mod also? A: For the moment, the alpha version of the mod will continue to release in single player. However, when we do finally reach our goal of MMO status, we will be focusing entirely on multiplayer development.
    The STW Dev Team:
    @Jestex - PHENOMENAL pixel artist
    @Khaios - Lead World Designer and Builder
    @CursedMoose - Programmer and Designer
    @Flippi - Project Designer and Lead Programmer/Developer

A Very Special Thanks to:
    Re-Logic for creating Terraria
    @Pedguin for streaming the mod, which always leads to great feedback
    The official Terraria Forum Community
    The Terraria Subreddit Community

Past Members:
    Sekirei - Tester and world polisher
    @Nurican - Tester
    @Robes - Tester
    @oSIVo - Lead world mapper

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. infinitetech

infinitetech Terrarian

very interesting, dont forget to make a summoner class to, its often overlooked

3. Rawrg

Rawrg Pixel Pirate

This seems really ambitious, but I can see it happening. Good luck!

4. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

The summoner class currently is part of the mage class. As the game stands, I don't think the summoner items are enough to make it a full skill. Perhaps after the mod is released I can look into adding new items for the summoner class.

Thank you! I've got a lot of the core features already implemented. I hope to start alpha testing within the upcoming weeks! One of the biggest issues I am having is actually finding someone to help me make the static world. I cannot code and work on the map at the same time, plus I am not as artsy and good as many other players. I'd love to recruit someone. So if anyone is willing to just let me know!

Everybody likes this.
  5. Aadrian1234

Aadrian1234 Terrarian

This looks like a ton of fun. Excited for the full release

6. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

Happy to hear that! I'm reaching out to the community now for some help with making the first map. Once that happens, the alpha testing will start!

7. oSIVo

oSIVo Terrarian

Some need a pro map maker? I'm your guy.

Give me some starting stats you need, and I'll get it built.

(example - what size map; what biomes; any specifics on prebuilt buildings, villages or npcs)

For the multiple maps, how many and full layout would be useful as well. We can discuss that more here too.

8. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

Thank you so much!

I've actually started the first map, would love to have some help finishing it off for the alpha test. I imagine three maps in total right now ( for beta+ release), but because of the my new code the worlds can be infinitely tied together. I've also already written up a document that explains the first world. Send me a PM of your steam ID maybe and we can chat about it easier, and I'll be able to share with you what I've got so far.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    Drdragonfly likes this.
  9. Yog Sothoth

Yog Sothoth Terrarian

I look forward to this mod's development.

Flippi likes this.
  10. MegaSDMGShark

MegaSDMGShark Plantera

Oh very good mod indeed!

11. Yog Sothoth

Yog Sothoth Terrarian

I suppose crafting different items requires levels of exp, but there are a couple thousand items, how would you add exp for them all? By category?

12. Merlin

Merlin Terrarian

Can't wait. I don't think there's too many leveling mods that level up certain stats based on use of those stats.

13. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

Me too! I'll be making a new weekly update post in reddit soon! (should be today or tomorrow).

Thanks!

Crafting items are based on their base item. For example a lead pickaxe needs lead bars and wood to make. If you don't have a high enough crafting level you won't be able to use lead bars. If you do have a high enough level to use lead bars then each lead bar gives X amount of XP.

I was thinking the same thing when making this :p I think a lot of people will like it :)

14. Stereox

Stereox Plantera

Also, please reduce the possibility player will abuse or spam stuffs to increase skill.

15. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

I will be having a closed alpha test, closed beta test, and open beta test to help with this. Is there anything that particularly comes to your mind that can be abused/spammed to increase skills? Maybe it's something I haven't thought of yet, and therefore I can address now.

I of course will also be making updates post-release which will always include bug fixes, nerfs/buffs as needed, and of course new content.

16. Stereox

Stereox Plantera

Well i haven't tried it yet.
    But if there are crafting skill. And when you convert Dirt -> Dirt Wall and Dirt Wall -> Dirt, sounds easy enough to level things up.
    Same thing with grinding statues.

17. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

You won't be able to craft Dirt -> Dirt Wall and Dirt Wall -> Dirt because those items have no use in this mod because the world is going to be static. Likewise with furniture and other building materials.
    Check out this document: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17BovNCizjJCkKw_jH_sWyFkwaAqHC7Saf99xxO9V03I/edit#gid=0
    All of the craftable items are in that document ( accessories to be added later ).

18. zimberzimber

zimberzimber Terrarian

This would work only on small servers however because the landscape will be stripped of everything.
    I love the idea for small servers and I might even use it sometimes, support!

19. archmage

archmage Terrarian

Love the idea it would be a great server mod especially for small pvp servers. It helps keep the adventure in the game without all the hidden chest giving everyone terra blades like some servers.

20. Flippi

Flippi Skeletron

That actually won't be the case with the mod. There is a "cave-in" feature which fills in caves with ore and dirt so you don't run out! :)

I will be including pvp in a future release, but there are no plans to have complete support of pvp in the original release.