The Land of the Dead (Text Adventure)

Phaedra thinks about what he's just learned for a couple of seconds. He then turns and makes his way toward the castle.
"If this place is full of the dearly departed, I'm going to need to watch my back. I'm also going to need to make some friends really quickly."

I edited it slightly to fit what was asked of me :)
Varvin “angelic” Arthan (Person999)
Starting HP: 250
Race: vampire
DT: 85
EC: 0
Cause of Death: I got stabbed in the gut with a great-sword, kicked in the crotch, then fed to wolves, wonderful.
Backstory: as a very egotistical and outright jerk not many people liked him in life, and even less in death. He was an adventurer in the 1300s looting (and burning) villages with groups of others. Notorious for “killing” 10 vampires (he actually didn’t kill any) in his lifetime. Then being stabbed, kicked, and drained of his life essence by his (supposed) 11th hunt, the crusader then died being fed to wolves.
As a vampire he surprisingly still saw angels and god as a higher power to look up to, thus being looked down upon by his brethren. He became obsessed with wealth, glory, and himself more then he was as a human he is always out for his own skin. He also seems to hate modern interpretations of vampires seeing them as “inaccurate” and “idiotic”
Appearance: He has very intricate iron armor that is painted silver with gold accents, pale skin, red eyes, and dark brown hair
Inventory:
Armageddon: an intricate great-sword that he used to strike down vampires before he became one himself. 25 damage.
Crusading armor of crusading: that armor I talked about earlier. 2 Defence (is that how that works?)
Armswatch: thinga-ma-bobble
Basic Attack: 5
Abilities:
Crusade!: I stab ferociously with my weapon doing 1.5x damage. 3 turn cool down
Spin slash: I spin in a circle with my weapon doing damage to all of the enemies. 5 turn cool down
Perks:
Out for his own skin: if it’s between him dying or everyone else dying, everyone else dies and he gets out of there.
Unlikeable: no one likes him, no one.
Racial Perks: stuff
One Time Ability:
If it’s between you and me, It’s going to be you: at the expense of an ally’s life the opposing team dies and I survive, but I cannot team with anyone else for the rest of the game and the ultimate chimaera is more likely to find me, and Attack me.

I edited it slightly to fit what was asked of me :)
Varvin “angelic” Arthan (Person999)
Starting HP: 250
Race: vampire
DT: 85
Cause of Death: I got stabbed in the gut with a great-sword, kicked in the crotch, then fed to wolves, wonderful.
Backstory: as a very egotistical and outright jerk not many people liked him in life, and even less in death. He was an adventurer in the 1300s looting (and burning) villages with groups of others. Notorious for “killing” 10 vampires (he actually didn’t kill any) in his lifetime. Then being stabbed, kicked, and drained of his life essence by his (supposed) 11th hunt, the crusader then died being fed to wolves.
As a vampire he surprisingly still saw angels and god as a higher power to look up to, thus being looked down upon by his brethren. He became obsessed with wealth, glory, and himself more then he was as a human he is always out for his own skin. He also seems to hate modern interpretations of vampires seeing them as “inaccurate” and “idiotic”
Appearance: He has very intricate iron armor that is painted silver with gold accents, pale skin, red eyes, and dark brown hair
Inventory:
Armageddon: an intricate great-sword that he used to strike down vampires before he became one himself. 25 damage.
Crusading armor of crusading: that armor I talked about earlier. 2 Defence (is that how that works?)
Armswatch: thinga-ma-bobble
Abilities:
Crusade!: I stab ferociously with my weapon doing 1.5x damage. 3 turn cool down
Spin slash: I spin in a circle with my weapon doing damage to all of the enemies. 5 turn cool down
Perks:
Out for his own skin: if it’s between him dying or everyone else dying, everyone else dies and he gets out of there.
Unlikeable: no one likes him, no one.
Racial Perks: stuff
One Time Ability:
If it’s between you and me, It’s going to be you: at the expense of an ally’s life the opposing team dies and I survive, but I cannot team with anyone else for the rest of the game and the ultimate chimaera is more likely to find me, and Attack me.

I'll add you in the next turn tomorrow, so count this as an official welcome to one of my text adventures!

Like madder said earlier, if you have a discord and want to socialize with the rest of us, feel free to drop on in!

SimeaseKitten Shadow Happy
Starting HP: 300 (Max amount allowed is 500)
Race: Ghost
DT: 100 (Currency, max is 100)
Cause of Death: Driven to maximum insanity leading to self pain/suicide
Backstory: (Warning: Extremely brutal! Don't read if you don't like gore!) His name was Happy, and it suited him greatly. He was a below average height for his age group but it didn't bother him. He had the best mom and a odd dad that believed in magic and similar arts. He from known by everyone in his hometown and played with the other kids after school. He won every game they played when outside from how smart and athletic he was. Happy seemed perfect to everyone besides one small factor. He lost a bit of his sanity everyday from some unknown reason. When he reached the age of 15, he was cuddled up in his room, in the corner laughing like a mad man. Everyone in the town came over one day to see how he was feeling since he stopped going to school and never showed up to play with his friends. The problem was every-time he had a friend come inside his room, they would be running out as fast as they could, terrified like they have seen a GHOST (pun not intended, totally). After all his friends came in and ran out, his mom was worried and went to check him out. A horrified gasp followed by the running steps of his mom leaving the room echoed. No one dared to go in the room. Many days later, people wondered what was happening and many rumors spread around the village like wildfire. Many people thought he was un-human, because he hasn't ate in 2 weeks and the people that entered the room never spoke a word for the rest of their life and would look at everyone that spoke to them with a blank stare. A rumored hunter known as the monster slayer came in town from many towns folks calling for his help. The hunter slammed open the door to the child's room. The room had claw marks all over the walls that were dug by finger nails and blood was all over the floor. The kid was in the corner laughing softly as his hand were to his face while his front was turned towards the wall. The hunter got his shotgun out and stepped closer, till he stepped on something squishy. He lifted up his shoe to see a flattened eyeball on the floor. The kid started laughing crazily hard till he fell over and started coughing blood everywhere. His heart stopped working after that. More blood came out when he was shot by the hunter's shotgun exactly 23 times. The kid said," I s.e..e y..o....u......." as he died slowly. Little did the hunter know, the other eye was under the bed. The kid was then left to rot as no one dared to go in a see if he was alive. The people that looked at him started saying, "I see him, his shadow still is there." The village was later abandoned as well as the people that saw the kid, as they did everything they could to stay in the village. Many years later, a explorer came in on a horse, to find the once a nice village and rumored shadow village. The explorer went to all the houses to see if there was anything there. Nothing. However, there was one house he had hope for clues on the whereabouts of the shadow walkers, or at least what everyone calls them. He entered the last house to get granted with a rotting smell coming from the floor. He walked into the only room. There was a rotting corpse laying on the bed face down into the covers that were blood stained. The explorer creeped over to the bed and flipped over the corpse to see multiple holes with eyeballs stuffed into each on. The corpse was smiling. The floor creaked and broke revealing tons of corpses that had no eyes, had sharp object wounds, and were laid out under the wooden floor boards. The explorer tried to run out the room but tripped over something falling onto a sharp wooden board impaling him, killing him. As life started to fade away, he heard a laugh, then passed out.
(Whew, that was the longest backstory I wrote! I also intended there to be a secret for anyone reading to figure out.)
Appearance: He is a purple cat that has huge eye sockets. He appears to have one dark pupil in his left eye that glows heavily purple when attacking. Doesn't know how he turned out to be a cat. Cats are crazy and talented. Guess it makes sense
Inventory:
(Nothing so far)
Basic Attack: Does a basic scream doing little to no damage.
Abilities:
{{Shadow Walkers Assistance - Many shadows [8 at most] appear then arms comes up from a shadow and swipes at the target (Small damage). Has a small delay before swiping. Might lower defense of opponents hit.
New Piskel (12).gif

If focusing on one target, a shadow shoots a orb up that shoots a powerful laser at the target. Does high damage.
New Piskel (13).gif

(Sorry for white background, there was too many colors.
{{Shadow Portal - A quick teleportation. Has limitations too were it goes (about 30 feet from original destination) and has a small cool down.
New Piskel (14).gif

Perks:
{{{Poor Recovery - Takes increased damage (25% extra damage). Once he reaches 30% or lower health, he will be able to do two actions per turn.
{{{ ICB (Insanity Combat Boredom) - During a dragged out battle (About 8 turns), he will start to go insane, skipping turns laughing like a manic till he takes damage. When he goes into insanity, for the rest of the battle, he can only attack, not showing mercy. He will also stop using {{Shadow Portal.
{{{Pure Insanity - Has times were he just starts laughing like hell and doesn't stop. This usually will get on others' nerves as he tends to go in-front of others and start going insane.
Racial Perks:
One Time Ability:
{{{{All Seer of Shadows - Starts to attack at insane speed using all of his abilities 3 times in a row on his turn.
Specify what your items and abilities do, don't make them over-complicated, and for the love of everything good, don't make it overpowered. Consider looking at currently active characters below the rule as a reference.

@SimeaseKitten

So, I took a look over your app for problems, as is what I usually do with forum games run by @Demon God Ivuul, I've marked my criticism in red{in the unlikely case you can't see red, I also have made them a slightly different font surrounded by curly brackets}, I may have also reformatted some details that won't really matter, out of the abilities, for the sake of brevity.

Basic Attack: Does a basic scream doing little to no damage. {How much damage? Descriptions alone tend to not be very helpful}
Your Abilities, from what I've Interpreted:
-Shadow Walker's Assistance:Many shadows [8 at most] appear then arms comes up from a shadow and swipes at the target (Small damage). Might lower defense of opponents hit. {How much damage exactly? How many can it target, your wording is a tad odd in that regard, I assume it is up to 8, or is it just several shadows targeting 1? The orb, which I took the liberty of moving into another ability for the sake of readability obviously targets 1 foe, but how much can this target?}
-Shadow Walker's Orb:If focusing on one target, a shadow shoots a orb up that shoots a powerful laser at the target. Does high damage. {Again, how much damage exactly?}
-Shadow Portal:A quick teleportation. Has limitations too were it goes (about 30 feet from original destination) and has a small cool down. {How long is the cooldown in turns?}

On a sidenote: Ignoring how edgy the backstory is in terms of detail(That's fine, you do you), characters come from normal everyday Earth, so I don't think what you seem to be going for in the backstory would really work for LotD, unless Ivuul decides to run with it. From the rules, for reference regarding backstories & character items; Character had to have been a human in the past unless playing as a race that specifies otherwise, likewise this human must come from normal everyday earth.

~~~~Radio~~~~

Anything done on this turn can be announced via an Asmowatch or a radio, so anyone with any of those things can hear this.

Host: You are listening to 13th Street radio! This is Jones, everyone’s hopefully favorite Ghost-Host. I do hope that everyone is having a pleasant eterna-night out there.
We’ve got a couple news stories tonight, first, i just wanted to wish the city of Desert Jewel luck tonight, as the Swarm Sirens have been going off in that region, and seemingly the swarm is on it’s way to….
Swarm… that’s really all it does, it’s right there in the name people…

We also have a little bit of good news though, The forces of Heaven and Hell have finally reached a truce with Death, while their war between each other is ongoing, us dead will be left out of it. So please do not go trying to mess with Gods OR Satan's forces!
Likewise, we will be interviewing an angel to see what his thoughts are of these events, more on that in several hours after some music.

~~~~Greyton (@Xmax360)~~~~
HP: 279/300 LVL: 1
Current Location: The Overgrowth: Roadside

Greyton: 279/300 [WRAITH]
VS
Feral Zombie A: Fled!
Feral Zombie B: Fled!
Feral Zombie C: DEAD

Feral Zombie A fled!
You won!
Gained 20 EXP and no DT.

The present that Feral Zombie C dropped was opened, inside was Common Pants.

Greyton sits here yelling in rage as he wasn’t fast enough to chase the zombie down… but oh boi did he sure try, while chasing the zombie, he notices a military looking man nearby. Walking down the road...

~~~~Fred (@tappaja100)~~~~
HP: 200/200 LVL: 1
Current Location: The Overgrowth: Roadside

Fred decides to check what's up the road and starts walking up it.
Suddenly, he hears footsteps as a green skinned rotting humanoid rushes by and runs down the road scared. Fred turns around to see an angry ghost man shouting threats at the rotting monster.

~~~~Phaedra (@Madder)~~~~
HP: 425/425 LVL:1
Current Location: Castle of Souls: First Floor Foyer

Phaedra heads over to the castle and notices the door is unlocked, he enters it and is greeted by a brightly lit clean castle much to his surprise.
The floors are highly reflective but unfortunately, while everything else is reflected off of the floor, Phaedra is not.
As Phaedra looks around he notices a stairway going up, the top of the stairs leads to a balcony area with three doors, a left door, a middle door and a right door that is seemingly sealed shut due to it being barred up.

He also notices a walking skeleton in a maid outfit dusting, Phaedra attempts to go ahead and try to say something to it, but it ignores him.
What now?

~~~~Brother Garrun (@IHATETHISSIGNUP / Jedinate)~~~~
HP: 200/200 LVL:1
Current Location: The Overgrowth: 13th Street pathway.

(Yes i am using this theme again, sue me.)

Marvin: Yes i did. Judging by your surprise i would assume you are new here… You poor soul.
But now is not the time, please come child. My church is just up the road, it’s a safe place, i’d hate for the paladins to find and end a poor innocent soul before they even get a chance to learn of their fate.

Father Marvin starts to walk in a direction, what now?

~~~~Varvin Arthan (@Person999)~~~~
HP: 250/250 LVL 1
Current Locations: Castle of Souls: First Floor Study.

You are Varvin Arthan, and you seem to wake up in front of a fireplace of some sort. You look around and find yourself in a dimly lit save for the fireplace room. A small stair is nearby leading a door, and the room also seems to have a nearby chair near the fireplace, a large amounts of bookshelves, a window looking outwards to a forest with a nearby clocktower in the distance and a present poking out from under the stairs.

Oh, and right next to the stair is some sorta shadowy figure wearing a mask leaving against a wall next to a floating black crystal, the figure is seemingly asleep.

*Garrun fallows Marvin.*
“Wait, did you say paladins? Aren’t they supposed to be holy warriors? Slayers of ev- oh I get it, they thing you’re evil outright because you’re a zombie.”

@SimeaseKitten

So, I took a look over your app for problems, as is what I usually do with forum games run by @Demon God Ivuul, I've marked my criticism in red{in the unlikely case you can't see red, I also have made them a slightly different font surrounded by curly brackets}, I may have also reformatted some details that won't really matter, out of the abilities, for the sake of brevity.

Basic Attack: Does a basic scream doing little to no damage. {How much damage? Descriptions alone tend to not be very helpful}
Your Abilities, from what I've Interpreted:
-Shadow Walker's Assistance:Many shadows [8 at most] appear then arms comes up from a shadow and swipes at the target (Small damage). Might lower defense of opponents hit. {How much damage exactly? How many can it target, your wording is a tad odd in that regard, I assume it is up to 8, or is it just several shadows targeting 1? The orb, which I took the liberty of moving into another ability for the sake of readability obviously targets 1 foe, but how much can this target?}
-Shadow Walker's Orb:If focusing on one target, a shadow shoots a orb up that shoots a powerful laser at the target. Does high damage. {Again, how much damage exactly?}
-Shadow Portal:A quick teleportation. Has limitations too were it goes (about 30 feet from original destination) and has a small cool down. {How long is the cooldown in turns?}

On a sidenote: Ignoring how edgy the backstory is in terms of detail(That's fine, you do you), characters come from normal everyday Earth, so I don't think what you seem to be going for in the backstory would really work for LotD, unless Ivuul decides to run with it. From the rules, for reference regarding backstories & character items; Character had to have been a human in the past unless playing as a race that specifies otherwise, likewise this human must come from normal everyday earth.
For attacks: I don’t really know how much damage is small and large. Is 40 damage too big for beam attack and 5 small for the hand attack? Next is the hand attack, It works like this:
There is 1 enemy. One hand would attack it.
There is 3 enemy’s. Three hands would attack them.
There is 9 enemies. Eight hands would be summoned and each independently attack their target. One enemy would be unharmed though.

Backstory: So I struggled to get the backstory to be in the boundary’s of reality. However, everything is reality and could happen in earth. Hypnosis, people are able to live with no eyes, and insanity. They are called, “Shadow Walkers” as they were named that by other people, however them still being normal humans that were hypnotized. This all occurred back in the day were everything just goes wrong: medieval times. Everyone was a human, but Happy was just insane so it drove him to doing horrible inhuman like things.

Magnus (TheGuy
Starting HP: 450
Race: Anubis
DT: 40
Cause of Death: Assasination, sent by Phaedra
Backstory: Magnus was a wealthy businessman, the owner of a rather large jewelry company. He was shown to be very self-absorbed, and quickly bought many companies. After a while, Magnus met a man named Phaedra. Phaedra offered Magnus a deal with the mafia, but he refused, and the two have been bitter rivals since. Magnus isn't his real name, but don't expect him to tell you what it is.
Appearance: Magnus is a purple-furred Anubis with crimson eyes. He usually has a smirk on his face, and he usually dresses in a black suit with a crimson cloak, but, like almost all Anubises (Anubi?), he is obsessed with fashion and has many different outfits.
Inventory:
Top Hat: Just a top hat to wear when he feels especially fancy.
Staff: It's a golden staff he uses to fight, though he usually opts to use claws instead. 15 damage
Basic Attack: 45
Abilities:
Needle: Magnus summons a magic needle, which he can use for multiple things. If thrown at someone, it deals 20 damage.
Shockwave: He creates tremors in the ground, which knocks everyone within 10 feet of him down. He can also send it in a straight line, which locks on to the person and knocks them down. Either way, it can't be used 2 turns after using it once.
Perks:
Smooth Talker: He is a very persuasive person when he needs to be, and is a natural charmer.
Self-Absorbed: He lets off an air of narcissism, which turns many people away.
Racial Perks:
One Time Ability: Needle Storm: Magnus unleashes a cloud of needles, and fires them all into one direction, doing 250 damage.

Last edited:
This is why I never tried to overdose. He doesn't care about the floating ball of anger yelling at the moving corpse and just keeps going along the road.

Benevolent Tingler (Deputy Hue)
Starting HP: 300
Race: Dullahan
DT: 1
EC: 0.none
Backstory: A cherished zealot from the medieval period,he was on his way to end the evil blight of Wrangveic, (which some crazies would have you believe is the lost city of Anon London) only to meet that fateful cliff encounter...
Cause of Death: He accidentally slipped on some spilled cranberry's and fell down a cliff, died whilst screaming various curse words about a chariot.
NVxg4L1.png
Inventory: Raw Hammer (35 Damage) Boulder Greatshield (10 Defense)
Ability 1:Lightning Spear: Throws some sweet jesus bolts. 40 Damage
Ability 2:ROLLING THUNDAAAAA: Electrifies helmet and roll's his head at an enemy group. 40 Damage to three enemies, but damages self for 20 damage
Racial Perks:
One Time Ability: Backsmash: cause it's easy, and it does a lotta damage.(Instant kills regular enemys, boss damage is up to the text adventure jesus)

wow that is a lot of inside jokes

Last edited:
You really should give some kind of explanation to what your one time ability does (Easy and a lot of damage does not give me any idea what it does.), also, if you want you could have some perks beyond the racial perks.

You really should give some kind of explanation to what your one time ability does (Easy and a lot of damage does not give me any idea what it does.), also, if you want you could have some perks beyond the racial perks.

well it was kind of an inside joke between me and ivuul, but i should probably add a specific damage.
the reason i didn't add a perk is because i just sat there for a whole hour, and i still couldn't think of one so i gave up.

Goreton stares at Fred looking where any weak points are. "DON'T IGNORE!", Goreton throws the mug at Fred's general direction. Probably missing.

For attacks: I don’t really know how much damage is small and large. Is 40 damage too big for beam attack and 5 small for the hand attack? Next is the hand attack, It works like this:
There is 1 enemy. One hand would attack it.
There is 3 enemy’s. Three hands would attack them.
There is 9 enemies. Eight hands would be summoned and each independently attack their target. One enemy would be unharmed though.

Backstory: So I struggled to get the backstory to be in the boundary’s of reality. However, everything is reality and could happen in earth. Hypnosis, people are able to live with no eyes, and insanity. They are called, “Shadow Walkers” as they were named that by other people, however them still being normal humans that were hypnotized. This all occurred back in the day were everything just goes wrong: medieval times. Everyone was a human, but Happy was just insane so it drove him to doing horrible inhuman like things.
Balance in terms of damage tends to not quite matter as much as things with more general benefit, damage tends to be very subjective like that, I personally would probably go with 10 or 15 damage for hands and 60 damage for a beam, but what you go with is a matter of your deciding. The scream? Well, I don't know, I usually tend to go with more conventional methods of attacks.

As for your backstory, you are making it very hard for it to be believable now, you say this occurred in medieval times, yet a hunter, who has a shotgun mind you, shot this kid 23 times, in what is implied to be soon after he died from his suicide. But the reason your backstory doesn't seem like it fits in, is because you make it sound like a large scale haunting where people do actually get harmed, which I'm not sure if Ivuul would be fine with, even if he has a 'Ghost Train' idea going on.
◄►◄►◄►◄►◄►
Anyway, gonna put my looks at any character apps here, for the sake of saving space.

I personally have no issues with Deputy Hue's Benevolent Tingler, and any issues that may pop up later can be easily solved, Deputy Hue is a good friend of DGI. As for Magnus, who TheGuy is applying to be, I see he is incorporating another player character into his backstory, that's neat I suppose, it also makes a shred of sense, Phaedra had a lot of enemies, I'm not sure they would actually have been 'bitter rivals' though, just enemies. :p

For reference, I don't do full on character app critiques anymore, I just look at the things with actual issues. My role is to be murderous monsters, not necessarily to help ya this time :p Red doesn't necessarily mean bad anymore, look at it like you are looking at an assessment being marked or something, idk...

Shockwave: He creates tremors in the ground, which knocks everyone within 10 feet of him down. He can also send it in a straight line, which locks on to the person and knocks them down. {Is there a cooldown for this? You could probably stunlock with this otherwise.}
One Time Ability: Needle Storm: Magnus unleashes a cloud of needles, and fires them all into one direction, doing a large amount of damage. {It would probably be good if you specify a damage amount, like at least 250 or something, but what you decide it is, is your business, I'm just a hostile}

Back
Top Bottom