The Modded Revolution: Cataloging 1.3.6's Borrowed and Suggested New Features

Fortanono 🌳

Retinazer
NOTE: Please please PLEASE don't harass the mod dev team because I've told you who I think is working for Re-Logic. That includes tagging them here. I'll request a lock on this if the problem gets big enough, but I believe as a community we can avoid that.

So, I was browsing around page 5 of the Biomes and Nature suggestion of TCF, when I came across something big. I found a thread suggesting an Oasis biome. However, this wasn't that big a deal, I thought. Loads of people have probably thought of something like that. But it gets more interesting. What I noticed afterwards, was that the guy who made it was also the developer of the Spirit Mod. Big deal, right? Yeah, actually. Because Terraria's been hiring part-time mod devs to code the game for them. Yuyutsu, the creator of one of the biggest mods in Terraria, has coded his idea into the game. What this means is that these people aren't exactly code monkeys forced to do what Re-Logic wants. They have say. They can add their stuff.

I started looking a bit deeper, and I noticed a few other things about this. Why did they add a number of new foods? Well, it's simple if you think about it. The Thorium Mod has a whole food system attached to it, and a Cook NPC as well. So, that's a good indicator DivermanSam's a part of the team as well. So why am I doing this? Simple enough. We can more easily predict new features that could be added to the game from these guys' mods and suggestions. So let's dive in, shall we?

I. Who's Involved?

Well, here are my thoughts on this matter.

Yuyutsu (Spirit Mod): Almost Certainly
  • Just got his Oasis biome into the game
  • Hasn't been working much on Spirit at all
DivermanSam (Thorium Mod): Almost Certainly
  • We have a number of new, placeable foods in the game now
  • Actually quit the Thorium dev team entirely
Zadum4ivii (Tremor/Antiaris): Maybe
  • Slightly lesser known mod, but still incredibly well known. Shouldn't stop Re-Logic
  • Hasn't been working much on Antiaris, but just seems to have started again
  • Took a huge break between December of last year and July, could have been working on Terraria
  • No features to confirm or deny
Fabsol/MountainDrew (Calamity Mod): Nope
  • Has been regularly updating his mod
  • Mod doesn't exactly balance against vanilla. Not a point against him or his mod, but maybe a reason Re-Logic wouldn't want it.
  • Had a hard time contacting Re-Logic about a composer's music rights; therefore, they aren't likely working together on a regular basis

II. The Oasis Biome

It's looking from this suggestion like the Oasis will not have any enemies by design. It will instead have a buff that increases regen and decreases enemy spawn rates, as well as a bunch of critters. It also will have a new item, Reeds. Reeds can be used to make furniture, as well as a Blowpipe upgrade, piercing ammo to go with it and a potion that provides better underwater life regen. I dunno about you, but I've just gotten much more excited for this biome.

III. The Food System

Ah yes, the thing in Thorium that helped me survive a ton of boss fights simply due to how much I suck. Long story short, food works like this, although it seems that it might not from the actual teasers we have seen so far. Thorium's food is sold by the Cook, a new NPC. Each piece of food grants healing as well as a vanilla buff of some sort. They are also on a separate counter from Potion Sickness, but if you use a hotkey that counter doubles in time. It's the most overpowered thing in Thorium, and I freaking love it.

However, judging from the fact that the player ate two foods in quick succession, and no green numbers came out of his character, I'm going to predict all of these food items will simply be buff items. However, my guess is that they are likely going to have unique buffs rather than Well Fed or how Thorium does it with vanilla potion buffs. Regardless, it seems to be a good source that Sam is on the dev team.

How they are obtained might be a bit more clear, because there aren't any Cow enemies to get Burgers from. Thorium has a Cook NPC that basically sells all the food you can think of. The Cook moves in when you have a Mushroom of any type in your inventory. He might also sell a few giant utensil-based weapons, a potato gun, and an accessory that makes potions heal more, depending on the faithfulness it has to Thorium's Cook NPC. But the coolest potential thing it could have is the "Supply Ingredients" button, where you give the Cook three dye materials and he uses those to make a new type of food more potent than the others. Being buff items now, "more potent" may not apply, but "cooler" might. We shall see.

IV. Potential Other Additions

Now that we've gotten through those, I'd like to talk about the fact that these people have likely added a ton of other content from their mods or suggestions into the vanilla game as well. And I have a few thoughts on what these could be. For one, we have no confirmation any Spirit Mod content will come into the game. It might, but we don't know. Overall, I feel like Spirit has more of its own lore to it than Thorium or another mod, so there might be a little less Spirit mod content than minibiomes. That said, Yuyu did a whole series on them, including a workshop, a graveyard and a pirate cove. Check them out, because they might just be a sneak peek to 1.3.6. His Hallowed Expansion thread could also be something to look at.

As for Thorium? I think the Druid NPC might be coming, because Cenx tweeted there will be another female NPC. Spirit doesn't have any female NPCs, and this is Thorium's only one, so it's either this or an original idea which it could very well be. But let's discuss the Druid just briefly. The Druid sells herbs to the player as well as astroturf blocks for custom biomes, utility items that lure butterflies or place grass for mana, and a few nice magic tools. She also gives out a free Herb Bag every day-night cycle, and that's a really unique mechanic that I could see happening. She only spawns in when a unique, one-time miniboss is killed in the jungle known as Corpse Bloom. Could this hint at a new Jungle miniboss? Well, we already have one NPC spawning after Queen Bee, another post-Plantera and she loses usefulness after Golem, but I'm gonna say they'll find a new spawn criteria for her.

Okay, the latter is unknowable, but I just wanted to put it out there.

V. Closing Remarks

Once again, PLEASE don't harass the mod devs. I know you won't, but hey. Just wanted to say it.

Now we have a baseline of content to work off of to predict 1.3.6. If you want, browse the Thorium and Spirit wikis! Look through the minibiome suggestion threads! Catalog your findings on what Re-Logic would be most likely to add from those sources right here! If you have any thoughts, feel free to post them.

Nice write-up, I think the Yuyu collaboration presumption is a good one.

Do we know there will be more new NPCs? We have the confirmed golfer, which we're not sure what function she will serve.

There's also the new Blood Moon fishing enemies and mechanics to dissect as well.

Nice write-up, I think the Yuyu collaboration presumption is a good one.

Do we know there will be more new NPCs? We have the confirmed golfer, which we're not sure what function she will serve.

There's also the new Blood Moon fishing enemies and mechanics to dissect as well.
We don't know, but I suspect a cook for the reason I stated about the food mechanics.

You don't think it's highly likely that they wanted to add an Oasis and told this guy to do that? It's not exactly a groundbreaking concept he would have had to think up.

You don't think it's highly likely that they wanted to add an Oasis and told this guy to do that? It's not exactly a groundbreaking concept he would have had to think up.
There's no evidence that he coded it, honestly. What he did was suggest it. And it just seems quite similar, but the original suggestion cites a Starbound inspiration, so.

Back
Top Bottom