Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

Yeah, I'm not an elaborate builder at all, but this is something that could benefit people like me, which is to say nothing about the avid builders amongst us. If I can find use for this, anybody could lol.

Yeah, it's sad news, but I'd rather hear it now, rather than be wondering 5 years from now where the *bleep* OW is.

I can get over it, and forget it ever existed.

Leonard French put it perfectly in one of his recent videos:

"If you're going to eat crow, eat it while it is young and fresh lest you be forced to eat it when it is old and tough." (pp)

Re-Logic did the best thing here by eating their crow now while it's a lot fresher rather than waiting 5 years later and eating it when it's a lot more tougher. They were honest, they made mistakes and they admitted to them, and we can all just move on. Far better than leading us on and leading us on and leading us on, only for the disappointment and negativity to continue piling up.

Because we will be designing/developing whatever those are internally. While we have and will rely on external parties to help with things like our non-PC versions of Terraria, we learned from this process that we really need to keep the core work on our first party games in-house. No one knows Terraria like we know Terraria, if that makes any sense.

Indeed. Definitely a sad, sad day for us - but we knew what needed to be done. We are making the changes via the lessons we learned just to avoid that very repeat situation.

What mistakes would that be on behalf of Re-Logic? Not getting back and sharing a ton of new info on OW? Should be a bit more clear now why that did not occur. What we had on-hand when transitioning teams was far, far behind what any of us had feared in regards to reaching the vision/goal. Sharing further spoilers and info when diving into that rabbit hole and seeing what was seen would have been foolish. Its not that the lessons of "talk more" were forgotten - its that they were leveraged fully. Saying "its looking good/bad/etc" in generic and nebulous terms during that review would have accomplished nothing more than to stoke the fires one way or the other. So it was, we had to stay quiet again until we knew the ultimate fate... and here we are.

Afraid not. Tons of pitfalls and potential issues with that. :(

Because that is from Pipeworks. The people involved in that tweet did not know that the decision that has been made would be made... because that would be impossible (or require time travel). Sometimes silence is necessary - and we have already owned the whole notion that this was hyped WAY too early in our initial post. Not sure what else to say?

Assuming a Terraria game has to START with 3500+ items to "be better" is a pretty narrow view. I would expect whatever that is (whenever it comes) will start smaller, but with a massive amount of room to grow and a much higher ceiling with a lot more possibilities. I'm not a coder, so that isn't some hint of what is to come or anything - just a general observation of how I would personally expect things to be.

Also, the playerbase is alive and well from any stats you want to look at. I am sure there are the "thousands of hours" players that fit into the "even mods are boring now" camp - but that is the vast minority... and new folks are arriving every day.

That said, absolutely, we need to get on to our "sophomore effort" at some point, and I'm sure we will when we feel the time is right. :)

Indeed. The vast bulk of what we have was generated from Engine, with us in an advisory and guiding/design role. The core of our team has been focused on T1 - and since we announced Otherworld, that has included the launch of everything from 1.3 to 1.3.5 with 1.3.6 in the wings. :)

As we have said in the past, your support has always allowed us to operate in the manner that we prefer (and do). Being free from the harsh realities that beset so many small companies and projects, we don't have to make some of the bad choices you often see. Staying lean and agile helps too. I mean anything can happen, but we feel confident in the future. :)

Plus, Terraria PC is not doing to shabby at all.... not even remotely close to shabby.
Err, just how bad is the glitches? Because as long as enermies are kill able via weapon, it's good enough for me, and probably ten thousand others.
Even if the glitches are truly terrible, you could still post out the game and let modders patch up the glitches and finish the game.

Err, just how bad is the glitches? Because as long as enermies are kill able via weapon, it's good enough for me, and probably ten thousand others.
Even if the glitches are truly terrible, you could still post out the game and let modders patch up the glitches and finish the game.

Eh, you can't really speak for ten thousand others.

And glitches? They could range anywhere from random and frequent CTDs, etc.

And dude, Re-Logic is a company that has a sterling reputation for putting out quality content. Why do you want them to put out a half-baked turd that isn't anywhere near completion to tarnish their name with, just because a few (yes, a few) can't be happy with Terraria or patient enough to wait for Terraria 2?

Just let it go...

Err, just how bad is the glitches?

It isn't just glitches. The game is not complete feature-wise... not even close... when contrasted with the design plan. Furthermore, what we have on-hand may not be able to even handle what is intended - so yeah, its not as simple as "its done, just buggy".

We would rather just leave this behind than to drag everyone along or - even worse - put out an unpolished, unfinished game.

Can the music at least be salvaged? I heard some of it on YouTube and I really like it.

They said that Re-Logic still owns the assets that were used to make OW and that they will likely re-use said assets in future projects.

They said that Re-Logic still owns the assets that were used to make OW and that they will likely re-use said assets in future projects.

This is partially true. We do own everything related to OW. Whether or not we will use ASSETS (art/music/etc) in the future is very TBD and situational. The design ideas that we came up with during the process - many of those we still have a lot of heart for (again, most of those were never revealed ;) ) and I suspect those will indeed surface later on.

As for specific assets, it is very hard to say right this second.

Have heard the desire for the music, but that's an awkward thing if you think about it - regardless, I am sure we will chat internally about it.

Kinda curious why you call it an "awkward" thing, to use the music in a future project (or even Terraria, as alternate tracks). Not that I disagree or protesting or anything, but I'm curious why you call it "awkward".

And yeah, I get that it is a "Maybe" you will use the assets later, "maybe" you won't. That's why I said "likely", meaning if you can fit them in, if they seem to fit the project and don't look out of place, etc.

Kinda curious why you call it an "awkward" thing, to use the music in a future project (or even Terraria, as alternate tracks). Not that I disagree or protesting or anything, but I'm curious why you call it "awkward".

I meant the folks that want it released as an OST. Putting out an OST for a cancelled game = awkward. :p

i hope your being sarcastic
this is not a reason to commit suicide

@Tunnel King , @Loki Can we just make it a rule that even joking about suicide is not kosher? I really don't think joking about suicide is something that is appropriate on the forums, but yet I don't think I've seen it as an actual rule?

I think it needs to be a rule.

@Tunnel King , @Loki Can we just make it a rule that even joking about suicide is not kosher? I really don't think joking about suicide is something that is appropriate on the forums, but yet I don't think I've seen it as an actual rule?

I think it needs to be a rule.
It's incredibly stupid to say you are going to suicide especially since it's mainly for attention. If it's not for attention and they are actually going do to it, I couldn't care less. Terraria is not a religion.

I like kosher. Kosher salt tastes good.

Kosher salt has bigger grains and does not contain iodine. It's not saltier than regular table salt. You may want seasalt instead if you want good salt. Kosher if you want to smoke it.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

YOU :red:ED UP! XD

.... Whew!! I had some serious real life Lolz goin' on. This is as unbelievable as it is believable and hilarious. You're right, you never should have announced it so early- more importantly you should have kept an open and honest line of communication with your customers. You failed to do that, and that makes this all the more embarrassing for you.

We waited, you promised, you went dark and never delivered. You're a one-hit wonder it seems, and we were all left wanting. At least you released a title in the past, but this isn't a step up from those companies that hadn't before they folded. I'd give my left leg to be a part of creating games for a living, and here it seems you have such a wondrous opportunity and you're squandering it.

Maybe it won't make much difference to your company at all, but you've lost me as a customer permanently. Not because I want to pout about this, but really because I played Terraria until I was bored with it, and it's clear that you'll never release another title. Enjoy trying to pick up the pieces of your failure, I'm sure someone will find comfort in your false promises.

Now, on to better things to spend my time and money on. ADVENTURE AWAITS SOMEWHERE ELSE! ONWARD! *Rides T-Rex into the Sunset*

Back
Top Bottom