Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 8/8.1
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
This bug affects killing mobs in the underground Hallow and Corruption biomes not dropping respective souls, no souls at all to be more exact, but only when killed by the player affected by the bug - if the mob dies in lava or by some other means that aren't the player itself (though I haven't tried it with summons), the soul does drop.

To execute the bug, you need to enter the biome very quickly, for example by going down a hellevator using the (King) Slime mount (which is a very trusty way of getting down quickly), which for some reason doesn't activate the detection that you're in the biome you're actually in (it plays music, spawns mob and all that, but it doesn't spawn souls), if I was to assume what happens. I noticed this bug in older versions as well when I was playing modded, but I didn't think much of it then. It's very consistent and a bit frustrating.

Partial client-side/player fix, enter a different biome and return to the underground evil one, at a more acceptable velocity.

This affects multiple versions, from the current newest (1.4.0.5) to the latest modded version, and very likely even older ones.

I gave this a test using the Slimy Saddle. I also tried teleporting, as that's probably the fastest way to enter a biome. In both cases, souls were dropped by enemies.

You mention modding. Please try to reproduce the issue on Terraria without mods. The issue may be caused by one or more mods that you have installed.

That's odd. Currently I'm on 1.4.0.5 so there's no mods yet.
Teleporting is a different case since it probably checks for biomes, and why the Slimy Saddle test didn't work, I have no idea.

I know that the souls aren't a 100% chance drop, but not getting one after killing over 20 mobs in the underground evil biomes and not getting a soul on multiple occasions, didn't seem very normal. Maybe there were some other factors in play, maybe specs, maybe some other thing, I hope I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Ps. It happened on unmodded latest version of modded terraria, I just don't know the version number from memory. I suppose I could've said "The last version before JE".

Were you killing enemies in general? Or specific enemies?
Say, a King Slime?

Any enemies that regularly spawn down there (should / have a chance to) drop souls when killed by the player. This includes skeletons, hallow slimes, etc.
And no, I haven't used the cheesing method with King Slime (which I assume has been nerfed in 1.4)

Any enemies that regularly spawn down there (should / have a chance to) drop souls when killed by the player. This includes skeletons, hallow slimes, etc.
And no, I haven't used the cheesing method with King Slime (which I assume has been nerfed in 1.4)
YEs it has been nerfed, but not for items though....
Edit: you also may have bad luck or bad RNG, I would recommend putting down hallow torches and gnomes if you’re having problems, I never have had a problem with this.

*I meant it as in nerfed for this purpose, my bad, and even then it's something I purely heard, so it may not be the case.
Anywho, I wouldn't that, it's unnecessary.
I also added a edit to it explaining what might be going on.
Edit: you also may have bad luck or bad RNG, I would recommend putting down hallow torches and gnomes if you’re having problems, I never have had a problem with this.

That's what I wanted to confirm, yeah. It was nerfed in 1.4 (no souls, though other items still drop for it) and would've explained why souls weren't dropping!

Ah, well it could be horrible rng, but moving biomes horizontally fixes this, vertically however it sometimes has no effect.

For example, I tried yesterday to get rid of it by flying up my hellevator to the surface and falling down without the slime mount, but it didn't fix the issue. But when I dug to the side to find a different biome (frozen caves in this case), they were dropping souls as usual (even on the overlap between the two biomes).

Back
Top Bottom