Why exactly is housing invalid in the corrupt and crimson?

R1ch4rd N1x0n

Terrarian
Some say that the evil biomes are uninhabitable, sure about that? I can live in the corrupt/crimson easily, vertebrae farm lol. Why can you build things of shadewood and ebonwood if housing is invalid there?

The housing is invalid in the Corruption/Crimson biomes itself, but not with the materials you can make from these biomes or outside of these biomes. You can make houses out of shadewood/ebonwood and have NPCs live in them if they aren't in the Corruption/Crimson biomes themselves because the game prevents any enemies from spawning through player-placed walls. And the walls you can craft from Ebonwood/Shadewood, and other similar Ebon/Crim materials always count as player walls naturally because the player places them.

There's more specific detail about the requirements of housing and how the Corruption/Crimson makes it invalid here on the wiki. It looks like it's affected by an internal value in the game that rates the Corruption level around the NPC House area.

It's worth mentioning that is it possible to have NPCs live in the evil biomes as long as you have enough sunflowers nearby to reverse the evil count. That might not necessarily be ideal as it may take dozens of sunflowers in heavily corrupted areas to make housing valid.

It's worth mentioning that is it possible to have NPCs live in the evil biomes as long as you have enough sunflowers nearby to reverse the evil count. That might not necessarily be ideal as it may take dozens of sunflowers in heavily corrupted areas to make housing valid.
I think that explains why I was able to build valid housing(accidentally admittedly) in a crafting base underground at the border between corruption and hallow. The hallowed blocks must have been offsetting the corrupted count. It quite surprised me when the Pirate moved in down there rather than where I intended...
I can see a greenhouse garden being a good way to deal with the sunflowers too...

Back
Top Bottom