tAPI [WIP][Released] Metroid Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, one of the many bugs of tAPI r15 is that its crash logs don't seem to work. I'm assuming you're using r15?
Anyway, I could not seem to replicate the crash. Instead, I just get a weird glitch:
View attachment 50056
I endlessly bounce up and down on the rail...
Not that I can't find a fix for it, I just don't know why it would crash instead...

Hmm. I have considered half-charged shots before, but I'd have to create even more projectiles for every beam. :confused: Maybe I can find a workaround...
I'll give it more thought and consideration.

I appreciate the suggestions, but try not to get too excited. :)
I won't be adding Space Pirate ships in the sky, but I'm definitely gonna make it so items generate underground, in a Chozo statue's hands or something. And I can't just go ahead and make crafting items before the item they craft into is complete, because what if I changed my mind on what I wanted the recipe for it to be?
Things can get complicated.
Well like i didn't want you to add just random crafting items like when the items come out then add them as a chance to generate like right now you could do meteorite and maybe some gems but like i wasn't expecting you to add items that have no use as of right now because that's kinda pointless sorry i worded that wrong i guess Y-Y darn space pirate ships would have been kinda cool but its your mod but Chozo statue's could be cool maybe have some stronger blocks around it or maybe unbreakable blocks and do the do thing like blue doors can be opened by the power beam and maybe any normal terraria weapon and like so on and base like what kind of items can spawn so like blue doors i may get like morph balls and maybe a wave beam or some weaker beams and or accessories out of it and increase how hard the fight would be with the statue (if you do that, that is) :p just a few ideas im full of them when it comes to metroid

Another thing I was wondering about, but the actual defense values of the various armors seems awfully low. Consider the basic power suit. Despite requiring more resources than meteorite armor, it has about 1/3 the defense, which seems pretty severe. The other armors don't fare much better, the varia suit has less than 1/2 the defense of it's equivalent set (molten).

I realize some of this is to balance out some of the suit's bonuses, which are pretty nice, but this feels excessive. Especially the base power suit, as you're likely using it before you can get accessories to balance out the hit to survivability.
If they have to have less armor than their counterparts, couldn't it be more like 80% to 90% of them instead? Samus is pretty tough, she shouldn't be knocked over by a stiff breeze.

Another thing I was wondering about, but the actual defense values of the various armors seems awfully low. Consider the basic power suit. Despite requiring more resources than meteorite armor, it has about 1/3 the defense, which seems pretty severe. The other armors don't fare much better, the varia suit has less than 1/2 the defense of it's equivalent set (molten).

I realize some of this is to balance out some of the suit's bonuses, which are pretty nice, but this feels excessive. Especially the base power suit, as you're likely using it before you can get accessories to balance out the hit to survivability.
If they have to have less armor than their counterparts, couldn't it be more like 80% to 90% of them instead? Samus is pretty tough, she shouldn't be knocked over by a stiff breeze.
Suit buffs are another thing I have considered, and I will work on it, on the update after the next.
I also had the idea of finding... Chozite Ore(?) underground, which would be the new material used to make the Power Suit.
(I may need a better name than "Chozite".)
This way players have access to the Power Suit and Power Beam much earlier in the game. I want people's opinion on this.

Suit buffs are another thing I have considered, and I will work on it, on the update after the next.
I also had the idea of finding... Chozite Ore(?) underground, which would be the new material used to make the Power Suit.
(I may need a better name than "Chozite".)
This way players have access to the Power Suit and Power Beam much earlier in the game. I want people's opinion on this.

Well, if you want to spare yourself the added hassle of adding yet another ore type to tile generation, you could make Chozite a recipe item that combines some or all the BASIC ore types (Copper, Iron, Silver, Gold, and all the alt-types). That way, players start with an immediate goal and should acquire the Power Suit and Power Beam just before facing the Eye of Cthulhu.

Well, if you want to spare yourself the added hassle of adding yet another ore type to tile generation, you could make Chozite a recipe item that combines some or all the BASIC ore types (Copper, Iron, Silver, Gold, and all the alt-types). That way, players start with an immediate goal and should acquire the Power Suit and Power Beam just before facing the Eye of Cthulhu.
1 Copper/Tin Ore, 1 Iron/Lead Ore, 1 Silver/Tungsten Ore, 1 Gold/Platinum Ore, take it to a furnace...
... and make 1 Chozite Bar.
(Still needs a better name than "Chozite in my opinion.)

While definitely not a bad, and very efficient idea, it doesn't necessarily fit... I mean, is Samus's suit made of Copper, Iron, Silver, and Gold? :p Probably not.
Although, it has never been mentioned in the Metroid games as to what the Power Suit really is made of...
Also, maybe Chozite could only be mined by a Silver pickaxe or stronger? It'd keep players from getting it too soon. Hehe.

---

On a side note, version 2.0 r4 progress update:

Missile Expansions can now be found underground:
11839533099027267584_2015-05-03_00003.png
11839533099027267584_2015-05-03_00002.png

Phazon now hurts players who are without Phazon protection:
11839533099027267584_2015-05-03_00004.png

And finally:

It's coming soon! :D

1 Copper/Tin Ore, 1 Iron/Lead Ore, 1 Silver/Tungsten Ore, 1 Gold/Platinum Ore, take it to a furnace...

While definitely not a bad, and very efficient idea, it doesn't necessarily fit... I mean, is Samus's suit made of Copper, Iron, Silver, and Gold? :p Probably not.
Although, it has never been mentioned in the Metroid games as to what the Power Suit really is made of...
Also, maybe Chozite could only be mined by a Silver pickaxe or stronger? It'd keep players from getting it too soon. Hehe.

Knowing the Chozo, it very well could be a combination of primary materials that have been otherwise "enhanced" by their processing methods (like their structures and other remains of their civilization). Remember, the Space Pirates had difficulty in reverse-engineering Samus' Power Suit in Metroid Prime, with even their successes being very flawed (the Beam-flavored Pirates); they're missing some important element to the manufacturing process.

Lore aside, one upshot is that you could have Chozite bars spawn in underground chests as loot drops.
Alternatively, If you can make Chozo flavored mini-biomes, all sorts of stuff could spawn in those. (though that's noticeably tougher)

Apart from that, making it a low-tier ore works just fine too as long as you know how and where you want the ore distributed (probably with a bias in the Surface and Shallow Underground layers, where Gold is a minority ore, and the previous three basics are far more common)

---

On a side note, version 2.0 r4 progress update:

Missile Expansions can now be found underground:

Phazon now hurts players who are without Phazon protection:

And finally:

It's coming soon! :D
Nice! Though there should be a way to increase the rate at which it cools off, maybe holding the key for concentration with missles does a similar effect except cools off the meter? Or maybe an accessory?

Having the power suit craftable at an earlier point is certainly a possibility, however then we create a HUGE progression gap in the suits. You have the power suit at about iron/silver stage, and no upgrades until varia suit (ie early underworld). This leaves you with a significant portion of pre-hardmode where you're either using vanilla armor or getting the stuffing kicked out of you because you defense is too low.

Perhaps a better alternative would be to add in the new ore and use it to craft the power beam and the missile launcher, and add the fusion suit as a new armor craftable at this tier. This makes sense plot-wise (the fusion suit is literally just a stripped-down power suit). The fusion suit can have about the same stats as the current power suit, and the power suit and the other suits can each be buffed up around one tech-level each to roughly match the stat lines of vanilla armors crafted with the same materials.

This also gives us better spacing for weapons as well; power beam early, meteor tier gets you wave, ice and spazer. Actually it might be better to space these out too, so you don't get them all at once.
Come to think of it, a new early tier ore may not be needed, vanilla is already a tad cluttered at that stage. It might work better to combine it with the current metals. How's this sound for a progression?
Iron - Fusion suit (compares to iron armor), power beam, missile launcher
Silver - Charge beam, Ice beam
Gold/jungle spores - Spazer
Meteorite - Power suit (buffed stats, compares to meteorite), Wave beam

Another part that could help with rebalancing is increasing armor defense, but restricting the bonus damage and reduced mana use to the power beam and missiles. It doesn't really make sense for the suits to buff traditional magic anyway.

Nice! Though there should be a way to increase the rate at which it cools off, maybe holding the key for concentration with missles does a similar effect except cools off the meter? Or maybe an accessory?
I don't know. I never really considered increasing the cool down rate. The idea of using Concentration sounds like a good idea, tho. :)

Knowing the Chozo, it very well could be a combination of primary materials that have been otherwise "enhanced" by their processing methods (like their structures and other remains of their civilization). Remember, the Space Pirates had difficulty in reverse-engineering Samus' Power Suit in Metroid Prime, with even their successes being very flawed (the Beam-flavored Pirates); they're missing some important element to the manufacturing process.

Lore aside, one upshot is that you could have Chozite bars spawn in underground chests as loot drops.
Alternatively, If you can make Chozo flavored mini-biomes, all sorts of stuff could spawn in those. (though that's noticeably tougher)

Apart from that, making it a low-tier ore works just fine too as long as you know how and where you want the ore distributed (probably with a bias in the Surface and Shallow Underground layers, where Gold is a minority ore, and the previous three basics are far more common)
Huh. You raise a pretty good point. It could be a combination I suppose, but of what? Plus, wouldn't there need to be a special crafting table involved? :confused:
I'll get back to you on this.

Maybe use afloraltite for the new ore.
Lolwut. Creative name, but it doesn't really feel, I don't know, Metroid-related. :naughty:

Having the power suit craftable at an earlier point is certainly a possibility, however then we create a HUGE progression gap in the suits. You have the power suit at about iron/silver stage, and no upgrades until varia suit (ie early underworld). This leaves you with a significant portion of pre-hardmode where you're either using vanilla armor or getting the stuffing kicked out of you because you defense is too low.

Perhaps a better alternative would be to add in the new ore and use it to craft the power beam and the missile launcher, and add the fusion suit as a new armor craftable at this tier. This makes sense plot-wise (the fusion suit is literally just a stripped-down power suit). The fusion suit can have about the same stats as the current power suit, and the power suit and the other suits can each be buffed up around one tech-level each to roughly match the stat lines of vanilla armors crafted with the same materials.

This also gives us better spacing for weapons as well; power beam early, meteor tier gets you wave, ice and spazer. Actually it might be better to space these out too, so you don't get them all at once.
Come to think of it, a new early tier ore may not be needed, vanilla is already a tad cluttered at that stage. It might work better to combine it with the current metals. How's this sound for a progression?
Iron - Fusion suit (compares to iron armor), power beam, missile launcher
Silver - Charge beam, Ice beam
Gold/jungle spores - Spazer
Meteorite - Power suit (buffed stats, compares to meteorite), Wave beam

Another part that could help with rebalancing is increasing armor defense, but restricting the bonus damage and reduced mana use to the power beam and missiles. It doesn't really make sense for the suits to buff traditional magic anyway.
Yeah-no. What you're suggesting is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. I stated earlier that I'd give the suits some buffs, but I probably should've stated something else:

I also had the plan to add more suits in-between. One of my main ideas was that you'd get Chozite Bars, then you'd make a Chozo Battle Suit, this in turn is upgraded into the Power Suit shortly after. The Chozo Armor would have the same defense as the Power Suit currently does, and the Power Suit would then receive a defense buff.
I also had the plan that there'd be Chozo Ruins that'd generate in the desert. In these ruins you'd find a Chozo statue with an E-Tank in its hands. Upon getting close to it, the E-Tank would blow up, the statue would crumble, and you'd fight a Torizo. The Torizo would then drop "Energy Shards" which are the crafting material for turning the Chozo Armor into the well-known Power Suit.

The Power Suit could then be upgraded into the Varia Suit, which would simply be a Power Suit recolor. With the usage of Hellstone Bars, you could make the
Varia Suit V2, which would have the larger shoulders. After entering hardmode, the player could then make the Gravity Suit and so-forth like normal.

The Fusion suit is planned to be something else entirely. I recall answering someone else about it on the previous page.

Afloraltite is the ore mined in the manga that Ridley attacked colony K2L to steal, and then he killed Samus's parents.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430687114,1430687046][/DOUBLEPOST]
Afloraltite is the ore mined in the manga that Ridley attacked colony K2L to steal, and then he killed Samus's parents.
Also, the Chozo politely asked for some before the attack happened but the colony couldn't spare any.

Also, the Chozo politely asked for some before the attack happened but the colony couldn't spare any.
Ohhhh.
Well derp. But we don't know if that was what the Power Suit was made of. Besides, Alforaltite was a type of fuel, wasn't it? That was how Samus's dad blew up the pirates' ship (along with himself).

Edit: http://www.metroidwiki.org/wiki/Afloraltite

Ohhhh.
Well derp. But we don't know if that was what the Power Suit was made of. Besides, Alforaltite was a type of fuel, wasn't it? That was how Samus's dad blew up the pirates' ship (along with himself).
I'm not completely sure of what it does, but I do know that at some point they used it because they were asking for more, implying they had used it before.

personally id rather not have another ore in my already modded game :naughty:..also any plans to add the light/dark/annihilator beams? im sure you will at some point though so no worries :D

edit: new idea! samus could use her plasma beam to mine blocks! like the welding in Metroid prime 2..only melting blocks instead of fixing stuff :cool:

personally id rather not have another ore in my already modded game :naughty:..also any plans to add the light/dark/annihilator beams? im sure you will at some point though so no worries :D
Lol. Yes. I have stated before that I'd add them. I'd be crazy if I didn't.:p

I'm not completely sure of what it does, but I do know that at some point they used it because they were asking for more, implying they had used it before.
Yes, well, it wasn't necessarily for building the Power Suit, though.;)

I don't know. I never really considered increasing the cool down rate. The idea of using Concentration sounds like a good idea, tho. :)

IMO, the cooldown actually seems pretty darn generous for sustained fire in your video; far more than the existing mana-based system.

Huh. You raise a pretty good point. It could be a combination I suppose, but of what? Plus, wouldn't there need to be a special crafting table involved? :confused:
I'll get back to you on this.

That, I'm unsure of right now since you seem to be following lore very closely.

So...more lore.
From Zero Mission, it's known that Samus Aran initially uses a power suit NOT made by the Chozo themselves (presumably by the Galactic Federation, using Samus's incomplete knowledge of Chozo tech; which is why most old chozo tech like the Morph Ball still works), but ISN'T a true Chozo Power Suit.
Towards the end of Zero Mission, she acquires a true Chozo original suit, which activates all of the tech she found (including "mysterious items": Plasma Beam, Gravity Suit, and Space Jump IIRC).

So in terms of lore vs raw progression, it depends on whether you want players to start by forging their own power suit, or a Chozo Power Suit.
If following lore (to the best degree Terraria will allow) a true chozo suit would likely require some sort of Chozo materials or crafting system.

A simpler line of progression (just assuming all the suit stuff is already full Chozo-tech; i.e. Super Metroid/Metroid Prime/Fusion as you currently are) may not require other special materials or crafting stations. As a means of gameplay progression in Terraria, I'm actually against adding special crafting stations unless they support more than a small number of recipes.
(I dislike the Auto-hammer because it JUST makes Shroomite bars.)

Hmm...
Maybe a collectible, operating Chozo Guardian statue could serve as the crafting station for most of the base weapons, armor and accessories?
(Tinker's Workshop still creates combo-accessories)
The implication is that the player asks it to provide the knowledge of how to manufacture Chozo tech as needed.

That, I'm unsure of right now since you seem to be following lore very closely.

So...more lore.
From Zero Mission, it's known that Samus Aran initially uses a power suit NOT made by the Chozo themselves (presumably by the Galactic Federation, using Samus's incomplete knowledge of Chozo tech; which is why most old chozo tech like the Morph Ball still works), but ISN'T a true Chozo Power Suit.
Towards the end of Zero Mission, she acquires a true Chozo original suit, which activates all of the tech she found (including "mysterious items": Plasma Beam, Gravity Suit, and Space Jump IIRC).

So in terms of lore vs raw progression, it depends on whether you want players to start by forging their own power suit, or a Chozo Power Suit.
If following lore (to the best degree Terraria will allow) a true chozo suit would likely require some sort of Chozo materials or crafting system.

A simpler line of progression (just assuming all the suit stuff is already full Chozo-tech; i.e. Super Metroid/Metroid Prime/Fusion as you currently are) may not require other special materials or crafting stations. As a means of gameplay progression in Terraria, I'm actually against adding special crafting stations unless they support more than a small number of recipes.
(I dislike the Auto-hammer because it JUST makes Shroomite bars.)

Hmm...
Maybe a collectible, operating Chozo Guardian statue could serve as the crafting station for most of the base weapons, armor and accessories?
(Tinker's Workshop still creates combo-accessories)
The implication is that the player asks it to provide the knowledge of how to manufacture Chozo tech as needed.
I again find myself in a bit of an indecisive mood.:sigh:
I think I may stick with a simple line of progression, as I don't want to make it too complicated for players new to Terraria mods in general.
And maybe Chozite bars (or whatever the material will be called) could be found in chests and made from one of each basic ore...? Maybe you can even smelt down Chozo statues that you find...

Also, I once had the idea of a Chozo NPC moving into your home after acquiring Chozite. Maybe he sells blueprints which are used in the crafting of almost every item?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom