Console With the 1.4 update now out, I have a few gripes with it and also fixes for common issues.

ArticReaper

Official Terrarian
To start off with. Why make something that worked before worse? Its a little confusing to me

First we have the key bindings. They are all over the place. Classic is 100% not classic. Before to trash something it was simply press X/Square on the item you wanted to bin. Now you have to pick it up and then press X/Square to bin it. It should be changed back or at least the option added to simply have it as press X/Square.

I swear I remember X/Square also been the button for Loot all when looking in a chest. Its default unbound and you have to have the cursor in the chest to loot everything.

The map is now RB + Right on the D-pad. Why I don't know considering before it was simply the Back Button. (you can change it back to the back button thankfully)

Zoom in and out no longer requires you to pause the game. But instead just press RB + Up/Down on the D-pad. Sure this is fine and nice. But to zoom in and out on the map its no longer just up and down on the thumbstick but instead the same as zooming the game in and out.

For what ever reason the default binding Navigate Hotbar is RB + Moving the left Thumbstick left or right. Meaning when you are walking and want to change what you have in your hand, Your character will stop repeatedly while walking. So make sure you unbind that. Its in the Explore tab for controls.

Housing Query. Not working right? Well that's because when you have selected the housing query option or want to move a npc to a different room. While you have the selection you have to press Y/Triangle to then allow your character to move in game while the option is still on and then press RT in the room to use the query or move the npc to that room.

The UI. For me honestly. It is WAY WAY better than the previous one. BUT it also still has issues. What I like about the new UI is how I can move around freely. No longer forced to use RB or LB to move to different things. The crafting UI is a lot better as you can see more.

But right now if you want to change 1 gold coin into 100 silver coins. You can't as it will auto go into your inventory and go back to a gold coin.

The crafting part of the UI, When pressing A/X to craft something it automatically goes into your inventory. This in its self is fine and dandy but how it does it isn't. Lets say you craft a chair and let go of the craft button. You will hear 2 noises. 1 the sound of it been crafted and 2 the sound of you picking the item up. Now the reason I say this is an issue is this, I go to craft a Helmet. I then want to take that helmet straight across to my equipment, Well you can't. As once you let go of the craft button it will automatically go into your inventory.

I haven't been able to play play the game yet since I'm using a second account to play at the moment because my main is stuck on the syncing files screen. But I will edit this post when and if more issues come up.

So in the meantime. What are everyone else's opinions on the update so far if you have managed to get in game?

Here's some good news on the keybindings front, from Loki!
GAMEPAD DEFAULTS SITUATION
Currently you have 3 defaults
• Classic (as close to “Classic Console” as you can get)
• Advanced - a new approach that takes Redigit’s Pick and goes further
• Simplified – intended for newer or younger players

What is missing here is a close-copy of Redigit’s Pick. The team at DR will be looking into this. For now, I would suggest folks try out Advanced, as it is the closest to Redigit’s Pick as you will get for now. Team will be looking to add a 4th Default that will mimic Redigit’s Pick as closely as possible.

Item binding to dpad is gone - extra inputs are needed to handle the litany of new stuff 1.4 introduces and to deal with some of the shortcomings of 1.3 era's gamepad (buff management being just one example).

Also, Combo Commands are a thing now (Y vs RB+Y vs LB+Y), effectively tripling your available maps... and you can map more stuff to things than ever before.

Zoom on the defaults is RB+up/down fwiw.

Changes, for sure, but the default being used on login is NOT what was intended. Will be sorted, but for now ^

Graphically, can you share an example? We saw no such issues in testing, even on the RL side.
Although I'm still getting used to zooming in and out. I liked the other way better on what I'm playing (PS4).

Back
Top Bottom