Game Mechanics Degradation of "Terraria" combat: Homing weapons

As a Ranger myself, I've never really understood why people like Chloro Bullets. In comparison to Crystal or Explosive, they're just awful.

Bullet weapons conquer the realm of velocity; you get access to very fast projectiles with these weapons early on. Is it really that hard to lead your shots a little, on a 2-D game? Why have 100% accuracy for 'maximum' DPS when crystal effectively doubles your damage in the first place (which also means you could miss a lot of shots and still deal better damage than chloro)?

i'm reffering to bosses like skeletron prime, where if the main projectile misses, nothing happens, so aim is way more important. with chlorophyte bullets, each shot hits the boss, resulting in high(er) DPS with less effort. as i said before, skill should never become obsolete. chlorophyte makes it so in some(not all) cases.

the tsunami would shoot only 3 arrows per click, and the arrows not in the middle would either deal halved damage, or lose their special effect.(venom, star rain, bouncing) and it would consume 3 arrows per use.
Good job, you nerfed the Tsunami into a slower, higher damage Chlorophyte shotbow

chlorophyte bullets do 4 damage less than the leading brand but the homing causes the bullets to hit far more often, resulting in a MUCH higher DPS. i would reduce the damage by 3 or so. and remember, the gun has a damage value too, and many hardmode guns have very high fire rate.
They also have no added ability. You'll find that crystal bullets are the king of bullets for bosses and large enemies, and explosives will destroy crowds. Chlorophyte bullets are glorified musket balls that can home, are stupid expensive, and without knowing how they work, you'll probably hit the wrong enemy over 50% of the time.

razorblade typhoon would be mostly unchanged, but the damage would be SEVERELY nerfed to compensate for the homing, speed, and infinite piercing.
Razorblade typhoon also eats your mana like it's nobody's business. Point?

And you do realize that auto reuse does not make the game any easier right? clicking more =/= requires more skill

i'm reffering to bosses like skeletron prime, where if the main projectile misses, nothing happens, so aim is way more important. with chlorophyte bullets, each shot hits the boss, resulting in high(er) DPS with less effort. as i said before, skill should never become obsolete. chlorophyte makes it so in some(not all) cases.
You'll also hit the arms more than the head

Good job, you nerfed the Tsunami into a slower, higher damage Chlorophyte shotbow

They also have no added ability. You'll find that crystal bullets are the king of bullets for bosses and large enemies, and explosives will destroy crowds. Chlorophyte bullets are glorified musket balls that can home, are stupid expensive, and without knowing how they work, you'll probably hit the wrong enemy over 50% of the time.

Razorblade typhoon also eats your mana like it's nobodies business. Point?

And you do realize that auto reuse does not make the game any easier right? clicking more =/= requires more skill

dude, the tsunami does 5 TIMES the damage of pretty much any other bow in the game per click, without even factoring in criticals and special bow abilities, which is ridiculous. and each shot shoots 5 arrows, yet only takes one, making it even better.

chlorophyte bullets are not hard to get at all, i made a simple chlorophyte farm that had me swimming in chlorophyte bullets. again, there is no excuse for removing skill. yes, guns do take skill to use when they don't home.

the razorblade typhoon does take a lot of mana, yes, but it can be easily compensated for with magic accessories that help regenerate mana, like the mana flower and magic cuffs, mana potions, and magic armor. also, enemies drop mana stars when they die, and you can get a LOT of those in a moon event.

actually, timing your clicks does require more skill for best results. fighting zombies with a slow wooden sword requires you to time your clicks so you actually hit the zombie at the right time to knock it away from you, when you try to clickspam it, it makes it drop in efficiency. you may not play minecraft, but in the old versions you had to time your clicks so you would actually hurt the mob, rapid clicking did no extra damage and resulted in your timing being off, making it easier for mobs to hit you. also, in 1.2.2, the terra blade did not autoswing, so getting it to swing at it's most rapid speed required you to time it correctly, otherwise your attacks would make it swing in less of a rythm and result in it shooting beams and swinging less often.

there is no excuse for removing skill.

I don't really care if there are 'no-skill' weapons in this game. The strictly lesser skilled should still be able to experience the game.

For as long as homing doesn't remain superior to other harder means of dealing damage, it's fine. And right now, the only ones that are 'damaging' are Flairon and Razorblade. But I'm willing to bet that they'll become meh weapons when 1.3 hits and even more weapons come into play.

yes, guns do take skill to use when they don't home.

Tell me how, in comparison to other weird weapons, a weapon that shoots a super fast straight projectile takes a decent amount of skill to use?

Because, again, using chloro bullets to me is conflicting because of the very nature of bullet weapons. That being how easy they are to hit enemies with.

But I'm willing to bet that they'll become meh weapons when 1.3 hits and even more weapons come into play.

Well, we already know about the... Shadowflame Hexdoll, is it? There's one homing weapon, which appears to have extremely low mana cost and fires a large swarm of homing projectiles.

Well, we already know about the... Shadowflame Hexdoll, is it? There's one homing weapon, which appears to have extremely low mana cost and fires a large swarm of homing projectiles.
They seemed to dissipate after traveling a short distance though, to me it seemed more like a magical flamethrower-type weapon.

chlorophyte bullets are not hard to get at all, i made a simple chlorophyte farm that had me swimming in chlorophyte bullets. again, there is no excuse for removing skill. yes, guns do take skill to use when they don't home.
Chlorophyte bullets are glorified musket balls that can home, are stupid expensive, and without knowing how they work, you'll probably hit the wrong enemy over 50% of the time.
In Terraria, hitting the right enemy can mean life and death. For instance, The duke is almost down, but your possessed hatched decides to target a green slime hopping around in your arena. Well that's too bad, your dead now. Same goes for chlorophyte bullets. Shooting up a sharknado will do squat.

the tsunami would shoot only 3 arrows per click, and the arrows not in the middle would either deal halved damage, or lose their special effect.(venom, star rain, bouncing) and it would consume 3 arrows per use.
That left a sour taste in my mouth, you might as well call it splash while you're at it. If you nerfed Tsunami to a state like this, you'd be turning a well fought over prize into a joke drop.

There are a few "homing weapons" that would be destroyed utterly if their proprety was removed. I'm talking about THB. Why does everyone loves it? Because you can stand in one place and summon a gigantic typhoon of pumpkins that crash into everything. If it was removed, they would go straight on the player, removing anny efficiency.

There are a few "homing weapons" that would be destroyed utterly if their proprety was removed.

I don't know why you'd expect such abilities to be flat-out removed. If anything will change, it will just be tweaking some numbers.

The Horseman's Blade excels when you stand in one spot with a life-line full of honey while you park your :red: on spikes and just keep swinging at helpless statue mobs. But that's not an issue with the weapon, it is an issue with damage gating. If mobs of the moon events were actually able to hurt you, people wouldn't be camping at their statues.

Otherwise, it is a pretty mediocre weapon. I prefer the Terra Blade because it kills what you want it to kill quickly, rather than waiting for the pumpkins to do most of the work.

That left a sour taste in my mouth, you might as well call it splash while you're at it. If you nerfed Tsunami to a state like this, you'd be turning a well fought over prize into a joke drop.

dude, the tsunami deals more than 5 times the damage per click than any other bow in the game. if someone suggested it before it was added, people would say it was OP. yes, duke fishron is a difficult boss, but the tsunami is insane. let's see how much damage the tsunami would do with venom arrows:

60+17=77x5=385

385 damage per click, no criticals and not even counting shroomite armor. how the heck is this not OP???? just because it's the hardest boss in the game doesn't excuse it for being OP, for reasons stated before.

dude, the tsunami deals more than 5 times the damage per click than any other bow in the game. if someone suggested it before it was added, people would say it was OP. yes, duke fishron is a difficult boss, but the tsunami is insane. let's see how much damage the tsunami would do with venom arrows:

60+17=77x5=385

385 damage per click, no criticals and not even counting shroomite armor. how the heck is this not OP???? just because it's the hardest boss in the game doesn't excuse it for being OP, for reasons stated before.
That may be true, but that doesn't mean we should nerf it to the point that it becomes worse than the shotbow.

60+17=77x5=385

It's still outdamaged by other weapons. Yes, it's rather powerful, but it's easily outdamaged by faster firing weapons like the pulse bow.

Dude, I actually think some of these need a BUFF. the spectre staff is a piece of crap right now, and it breaks my heart since it's my 2nd favourite weapon. These are not overpowered. Every weapon can be used to it's full potential if used CORRECTLY. Just because you think more people can use them better doesn't MAKE them better.

To be fair, the Tsunami is supposedly the highest damaging weapon in the entire game, if loaded with Holy Arrows.

But that's irrelevant. The point of this thread was that homing weapons were inherently OP, and the Tsunami isn't homing. As the game currently stands, it can never be homing.

But the premise that homing weapons are OP is false anyway. Newer players will likely think that they are, but they don't realize that skillful use of other weapons will invariably produce higher levels of damage.

In your video, I noticed that you didn't seem to use The Horseman's Blade. That's because its use really isn't that of a homing weapon. THB will only summon homing pumpkins if you're within sword range, at which point you may as well be using a Terra Blade. (And yes, the Terra Blade does have a higher overall DPS.)

Conversely, despite not technically being a homing weapon, Magnet Sphere is used in a manner very similar, if not identically to a homing weapon.

Your argument is that homing weapons eliminate skill, as a whole, from the entirety of Terraria. For this to be true both of the following must be true:
A. Homing weapons are inherently superior to any other weapon of the same tier - in other words, they must have the highest consistent DPS for a player of fair skill for the point in the game in which you can get them.
B. Homing weapons are the most practical way to proceed, and the best way to fight every enemy in that point in the game.

Fortunately, both of these points go hand in hand.

So let's address each of those addressed weapons in turn.

Chlorophyte Bullets: Chlorophyte Bullets certainly have a high damage value, but as far as DPS goes, they're actually pretty garbage. Crystal Bullet shards each deal 60% of the damage of the original bullet. So if you hit with even 1 of those 3 shards, you've already dealt a lot more than Chlorophyte bullets. If you're unwilling to hunt or farm Crystal Shards, then Venom Bullets will do a lot more damage, and Crystal Shards are more easily farmed than Chlorophyte.
So A is false, due to the fact that Crystal and Venom do more damage.
B is false, due to the fact both Crystal and Venom are both either of equal or greater ease to obtain.

Magnet Sphere: Magnet Sphere is obtained at the same time as both the Shadowbeam Staff and the magnificence that is the Inferno Fork. Both the former and the latter are superior, the former at range, and tight areas, and the latter at being the single best weapon in the entire game single enemies and open spaces. Moreover, unlike the M. Sphere, the other two weapons can hit many enemies at a time, which the M. Sphere simply cannot. The M. Sphere takes 19 mana per cast, the Shadowbeam Staff, 6, and The Best Weapon in the Game, 14.
A is false, because both of the equal-tiered magic weapons are of superior damage, and have superior area control.
B is false, because all three of those weapons are about equally as available, and all of them are equally usable.

Flailron: Flailron is one hell of a weapon, and probably inflicts the most damage on single enemies than any other Melee weapon. Unfortunately, it falls short against any sort of crowd, for a variety of reasons. First off, if a bubble tracks an enemy, but that enemy gets slain before the bubble hits it, that bubble will not change it's tracking, and continue to orbit that enemy's death site. Second, no part of the Flailron pierces. Weapons like the Terra Blade and the Paladin's Hammer both deal more damage to crowds. Later on, the North Pole deals more damage to single enemies than even the Flailron, and requires more skill.
So A is true, but I find that okay, because there will always be weapons specialized for certain tasks.
B, however, is not true, as the Flailron is likely to be obtained right before the Moon Events, you're likely to need crowd control to quickly push to the higher waves, and to most efficiently proceed into superior weapons. Therefore, other weapons, like the Terra Blade and the Paladin's Hammer, are more practical, and more useful for proceeding in the game.

Scourge of the Corruptor: I could bring up the Scourge's problems, but they're essentially exactly the same as the Flailron's. So just read the above with 's/Flailron/Scourge of the Corruptor'

Razorblade Typhoon: Ah, piercing, rapidity, low mana usage, and homing. Sadly, the damage is hampered by its piercing ability, and by its tendency to stick to enemies that are already getting piercing invincibility. Other weapons, like the Inferno Fork, would get more damage, just because you can direct the projectiles away from groups of enemies already getting grinded by the infernos. The Shadowbeam Staff can cover a wider area in a well-built arena. The Leaf Blower has a greater DPS on single Targets. In fact, the Typhoon's only really useful on weaker enemies that you really don't want to bother with. (Admittedly, R. Typhoon is my second favorite weapon, after the Best Weapon in the Game.)
A is untrue, as other weapons exceed it in potential DPS.
B is false, as the Typhoon's weaker in pretty much every area than other, more specialized weapons.

Snowman Cannon: I really don't know why you're bringing up the Snowman Cannon. The explosions are cool, but Hellfire Arrows/Explosive Bullets will deal more damage over a potentially wider area. The Venus Magnum and Tsunami deal more damage with proper loadouts. (Crystal Bullets and Holy Arrows, respectively.) It's a fun weapon, to be sure, but the slow fire combined with the homing suggests that it's to be used against bosses, whereas the explosive nature of rocket-using weapons suggests being used as crowd control. Nearly every other equal-tier weapon is more powerful, especially against the Moon Events.
A is false - Just use the Tsunami.
B is false - Just use the Tsunami.

So yes, homing weapons require significantly less skill, but the way you've presented them - as a threat to to the Terraria combat meta, and objects that promote the abandonment of all skil - is false. Period. They are not the best weapons, as other weapons will accomplish the same task much faster and more efficiently. Moreover, they are all at a point where the player has proven they have skill - by having beaten several daunting bosses, and hunting for rare items in incredibly dangerous environments. Let the player relax a bit. Post-Plantera is the time where you want the player to be able to run around the world acting like a god. These weapons serve just that purpose; Remember that the good players will always use skillful weapons. They are invariably more powerful.

Scourge of the Corruptor: I could bring up the Scourge's problems, but they're essentially exactly the same as the Flailron's. So just read the above with 's/Flailron/Scourge of the Corruptor'
Not to mention you actually have to hit something with the scourge to get any homing.

@neoselket i like the idea, but you have to pay attenton to what enemies drop what, as well as the rarity of the items. no one wants endgame to be just as challenging as early hardmode, especially with the moon events existing. you would never be able to do anything with the moon events if they nerf the weapons in such a way. in addition, when you defeat an insanely hard boss such as duke fishron, you want to be rewarded with something powerful, right? what is powerful about a bow that shoots three arrows with the outside arrows doing HALF damage, or a razorblade typhoon that does, say, 45-50 damage base? where is the feeling of reward in that? you defeat hard bosses to get better gear to face off against harder bosses, as is the way of terraria. also, nerfing endgame weapons would take away the "endgame".
and what about people who just like feeling like the master of their world, and taking advantage of the sandbox aspect? what then? you'd have just as much difficulty as early hardmode.

endgame weapons are designed to be powerful, and if you dont like it, take off that emblem you have on, or use a spectre hood for magic weapons.
also, this thread is about homing weapons, so why would you also go for regular weapons that deserve every damage point they have because of the way you get them?

i appreciate the fact that you questioned this, but you went way overboard, especially considering you never paid attention to what certain items actually came from, or what they are, as well as what you need them for. (the moon events)

@neoselket i like the idea, but you have to pay attenton to what enemies drop what, as well as the rarity of the items. no one wants endgame to be just as challenging as early hardmode, especially with the moon events existing. you would never be able to do anything with the moon events if they nerf the weapons in such a way. in addition, when you defeat an insanely hard boss such as duke fishron, you want to be rewarded with something powerful, right? what is powerful about a bow that shoots three arrows with the outside arrows doing HALF damage, or a razorblade typhoon that does, say, 45-50 damage base? where is the feeling of reward in that? you defeat hard bosses to get better gear to face off against harder bosses, as is the way of terraria. also, nerfing endgame weapons would take away the "endgame".
and what about people who just like feeling like the master of their world, and taking advantage of the sandbox aspect? what then? you'd have just as much difficulty as early hardmode.

endgame weapons are designed to be powerful, and if you dont like it, take off that emblem you have on, or use a spectre hood for magic weapons.
also, this thread is about homing weapons, so why would you also go for regular weapons that deserve every damage point they have because of the way you get them?

because they added duke fishron and his weapons, but the pumpkin/frost moon are the same as before. im fine with duke fishron, but he's availible too early in the game. most people fight him before the moon events, and so stomp him. i would be fine if he was moved to post pumpkin/frost moon, but he isnt. same thing with beetle armor. now the flairon, that is WAY too OP even for endgame, as it's like a more easily controllable homing easier to get version of the north pole, but for everything else i'd be fine if they were moved to post-moon. after all, people had to originally fight the moons without fishron stuuf, all the new potions, or beetle armor, and they still did it. the moons are way too easy with the newly added stuff.

Back
Top Bottom