Game Modes - A special WIP feature for Mod Helpers

hamstar

Terrarian
As Adventure Mode is nearing a v1 release, I'm going to do something special to go along with it: I want to define the concept of 'game modes' that can be used to switch the way the game is played without changing what it contains. In other words, unlike larger content mods, these are just collections of gameplay-affecting background mods. They can be configured, extended, swapped, removed, etc. As an added bonus, Mod Helpers will implement an option to lock players or worlds to only work with a given game mode, if desired.

Game modes currently planned (subject to change):
  1. Free Mode: Normal tModLoader in its out-of-the-box form. You pick whatever mods you want.
  2. Vanilla Mode: No mods at all (except Mod Helpers, for locking).
  3. Adventure Mode: Turns Terraria into a "metroidvania-like" experience.
    1. Adventure Mode
  4. Survival Mode: Adds a struggle to survive, separate from the usual exploring and conquering.
    1. Lives: Unless the player chooses a hardcore character, this adds a sensible limit to dying.
    2. Survivaria: Adds hunger, thirst, and other resources that must be managed (WIP).
    3. Destructible Tiles: Nowhere is safe. May add features to make bases directly siege-able, eventually.
    4. In consideration:
      1. Various Weathers (too harsh/"memey"?)
  5. Brutal Mode: All out mayhem. Everything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
    1. Terraria Overhaul: All-round 'brutal' mod.
    2. Injury: Taking damage costs you more than just the use of some potions.
    3. Stamina: Instant Dark Souls mode.
    4. Psycho!: Like traps, but they chase you. Among other things.
    5. Powerful Magic: Makes magic powerful, but costly.
    6. Various Weathers
  6. Honor Bound: Tightens up the challenge everywhere to make winning the game an accomplishment. No mere stat stuffing here.
    1. Honor Bound
  7. Creative Mode: Provides a plethora of tools for shaping the world and the game to your liking. Gameplay is not the focus here.
    1. Cheat Sheet
    2. Gadgets Galore
    3. Better Paint
    4. Mounted Magic Mirrors
    5. Extensible Inventory
If you know of any mods I should add to these lists, or any other game modes you want to see, let me know below.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom