Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, just joined the forum to make input on this. :)
Reading through the thread, things I really agree with:
The Fluorescent beams mod looks super useful and really pretty. +1 to that.
More of... everything. More statues, more traps (Lihzahrd traps are now fairly useless for helping boss arenas), more wire colours... +1
Someone suggested crafting statues out of banners. This would be /glorious/. Right now, banners are... cool, but not great. (The radius doesn't even cover my whole arena. Saddening.) If they crafted statues, that'd really, really make them worth fighting for. (...and maybe if they were a global buff.)
Weather machines! Good lord I would adore a weather machine. The rain is so pretty. Blood moon summoner would be nice too. And maybe a way to summon a Martian Probe by choice. Or to NOT summon a martian probe when you're busy wiring/building, but that's off topic.
Something wireless, or some way to wire large distances. I basically consider using a world editor /necessary/ to wire across the entire length of a world, and... well, that's not really ideal. There are a bunch of suggestions in thread, all of them great.
There are a couple of things begging to be integrated into wiring already - cogs and martian conduit blocks, for example. Not entirely sure what to do with them...
Cryssoberyl on page 5 suggested a new liquid. I love every part of that post. All of it. I want it so much. +2 at least.
Vaguely on-topic, the mechanic's wrench weapon. I want it. I want to murder every NPC for their weapon. (Including the Book of Shadowflame Skulls...)
Team coloured wire/switches/etc. I don't do much PVP, but this sounds really cool.

And then... well, I'm not an expert, but everyone else is asking for logic gates. Seems to me they'd massively enhance what could be done, so. +1
And... let's not kid ourselves. We/I want pretty much everything Minecraft has. Terraria is just prettier than Minecraft.

Again with a little tidbit that's not exactly pertaining to wiring itself but the general game; mind making most of the blocks merge with other blocks? Primarily Gemspark, Slabs, etc. That'd be wonderful; or maybe a machine that lets blocks merge.

OH! Idea! How about a machine/crafting station that when you put in appropriate color Gemspark block and a color of paint, it creates that colored version of Gemspark and changes the color of the light it gives off? That'd be pretty cool. Or, well, adding more gems in general would be cool, but at least with this is COULD somehow pertain to wiring/the mechanic. I dunno. :p

Edit: By merge I mean how when you place a brick down on say dirt block, it'll look like the dirt block and brick are attached to one another.

Maybe a new wireless item to make machines more simple? This idea has had to have been posted before but it is a great idea. You could also add a laser trap because I have been waiting years for a laser beam item. Something to add to farms like maybe a repeater. It could work like timers but could also add more to it since it could be a much more rapid version of one second timers. Also an item that could be used to have a wired device activate more than once every time it does activate. Also maybe some new paint. Ever since the new dyes have been added it feels like paint is overshadowed now. If any of these features are added I would be very happy ☺

I don't know if this has been said 'cause I didn't look through the posts beyond page 1. but we need a wrench like the one the mechanic has, and you can wire and beat things with it. 'cause god only knows how many times I have been wiring only to stop and pull out a weapon to kill something. with this we can just keep wiring while giving monsters blunt trauma at the same time! :naughty:

my ideas :p

** Infinite wire bag **

crafted the same way infinite bullets / arrow bags except with 6000 wire instead of 4996

*OR*

**Wireless box**(or teleporter :p)

30 (or 10-50 whatever seems fair) gold from mechanic only after fishron and golem have been defeated

once placed can be named so as not to mix up with other wireless boxes
can be connected to any device and used without using thousands of wires :p
is an invisible background object like wire or actuators

or both... either would be great :D
[DOUBLEPOST=1440374763,1440374524][/DOUBLEPOST]also i think instead of buying specific colors of paint that it would be a good idea to be able to chose our own paint colors by using the color spectrum thingie so we dont have to substitute for specific colors ;)

This is GREAT! I've been waiting for some new mechanics! 1 suggestion would be to make a electrical aura potion, which the player has an electrical aura and can power whatever he/she touches!

Also, you could make a jumper rail that pushes you 10-20 blocks in the air!
Well,I've been planning to make a electrical ufo with gadgets and all, but I'll wait for 1.3.1

Also, when will 1.3.0.1 come to the consoles?

This is GREAT! I've been waiting for some new mechanics! 1 suggestion would be to make a electrical aura potion, which the player has an electrical aura and can power whatever he/she touches!

Well,I've been planning to make a electrical ufo with gadgets and all, but I'll wait for 1.3.1

After 1.2.3-4 are created maybe next year at the minimal.

FYI, right now nothing is powered in the game. There's no mechanic for it. Things just get sent signals that flip their state, which is fairly different.

How about a way to run very long runs of wire? Some sort of special mode that sends the wire in a single direction till the end of the world? Especially for teleporters, this would allow you to start a wire in one point, pick a direction (say, down) then you could work your way down and find the wire that is running all the way down to the bottom. Building a teleporter is too tedious.

OR, some wireless version for doing the same thing.

I want them to put in a wire snake. If you keep hitting it with a wrench it will keep sending wire in one direction.

I would also like to see a yellow and pink wrench.

The mechanics wrench boomerang

I would too. Unfortunately it seems the engine will only allow one more color.

I think that a block that would allow one to connect a red wire to a green wire would be useful.
For example (the block would be placed under the arrow):
View attachment 73776
Something wireless, or some way to wire large distances. I basically consider using a world editor /necessary/ to wire across the entire length of a world, and... well, that's not really ideal. There are a bunch of suggestions in thread, all of them great.

Some kind of wire hub would be useful. We wouldn't need more wire colors if we could do that.

5. Time sensor. Active at day and deactive at night.

Would a solar panel work? It could send a pulse both when the sun goes up and down.

9. Endless wire. 3996 wire = Endless wire.

I like the name Endless Spool or Endless Coil. It should also destroy wires when you cut them as they will start to fill your inventor when using it.

** Infinite wire bag **

crafted the same way infinite bullets / arrow bags except with 6000 wire instead of 4996

Why 6000 wires? 4996 wire would already cost almost 2 platinum as it is. That is a lot more then Endless Quiver, almost 2 gold, and Endless Musket Pouch, just under 3 gold. 6k wire would be 3 platinum even for an Endless Spool.

Team coloured wire/switches/etc. I don't do much PVP, but this sounds really cool.

I would also like team colored switches. I was thinking of locks and keys that match the team colors.

FYI, Some of this comment will be me restating what other people have said,

-Yellow and Pink Wrenches (Sold by Mechanic for 2 gold each)
-Infinite Toolbox (Crafted at Crystal Ball with: 1000 wire (costs 5 platinum)(I think that 3996 is too much considering that it would cost around 20 platinum))
-Cybernetic Teleporter: Consumes wire from inventory to connect to other Cybernetic Teleporters on different frequencies [Does not work with Endless toolbox] (Sold by Cyborg after Martian Madness event has been defeated)

I also think that some sort of logic gate would be nice, but i don't have any specific ideas on it

-Infinite Toolbox (Crafted at Crystal Ball with: 1000 wire (costs 5 platinum)(I think that 3996 is too much considering that it would cost around 20 platinum))
According to the wiki wire is only 5 silver. That's 19980 silver for 3996 wire. As 100 silver = 1 gold and 100 gold = 1 platinum then 3996 would be 1 platinum, 99 gold, and 80 silver. Just short of 2 platinum.

I haven't read all the suggestions, so I may be seconding others' ideas in many cases:

1. mechanical components: joints, motors, springs, etc.
2. switches with more than two states: four would be nice for a directional control, and eight would be good for 8-bit memory units
3. sensors: motion detectors, laser tripwires, tracking laser, etc.
4. weapon turrets: either fixed placement (and wide spread), manual aiming, or directed by some kind of sensor
5. PLAs: i.e. some kind of primitive programmable computer
6. blueprints: "saveable" wiring setup, with player to designate positions of various components (e.g. traps, triggers, motors, etc.) for each execution

Obviously, this would be A LOT, so feel free to take a few ideas from this list (or none...whatever works).

sorry if this has been asked before but is their a target release date if there isn't like the 1.3 development I understand just would like to know

What if there was oil underground which was used to make npc like robots but they had much stronger fighting stats and you used them to protect them? You could also use it to make machines like something that you place Down your mine which you throw your ore onto and it takes it to the surface. I would also like a generator that keeps the corruption/hallow from entering that area.

Reactions: JK0
maybe allow people to craft different colored wrenches with different gems by combining the normal one sold by the mechanic with a gem to give it that gems color. the mechanic couldn't sell the blue and green wrench, but it would be a pretty cool change.

i am taking into consideration the fact that it might be hard to load a player that had blue/green wrenches from 1.3 to 1.3.1 if this change were made, so i came up with a solution; you could still keep the green/blue wrenches in the game, but instead of them being sold by the mechanic, they would be crafted with emeralds/sapphire. any player that had the blue/green wrench in their inventory when they first loaded would still have it. i get that it might seem a bit unbalanced, because they wouldn't have had to mine for the emeralds/sapphire, but it is the best solution i could come up with.

thanks for hopefully reading my suggestion, and good luck on the update ^_^

As many others have said, this thread is growing longer and longer. Since I do not wish to read through 50 pages, I will simply post this and say sorry to whoever was faster putting the same ideas on here.
I've got three things crossing my mind:
First of all, if you guys want to see turrets in Terraria, maybe add it in with a mod or something like that. Seeing that Terraria:Otherworld will come out at some point this or next year, it would not be the best idea to put turrets into this version of the game. As the core principle of Terraria is grinding and farming it would take away from the identity of the game in my opinion. As Otherworld has these turrets at its core, I'd suggest to wait for that game. I do not want to offend anyone with this, I just wanted to state it.
Second, I would actually like to have an item that completely hinders mobs from spawning. It would be really good for Custom Maps and would help a lot with Minigames and so on. Seeing as this item would indeed inevitably be overpowered, my suggestion would be to craft it as a sort of generator from Luminite bars and make it only cancel monster spawns in a certain radius. Maybe you could have some options to it as to if critters could still spawn etc.
Lastly, with all the stuff everyone wants and probably a LOT that will be added to make wiring more interesting, how about giving the Mechanic a sort of tutorial option? I know most people on the forums actually do understand the wiring system and probably will understand the new stuff added and there always is the wiki to read up on some information, BUT take into consideration the newer players. I recently got a friend to play Terraria and he seems to like it. He made a singleplayer attempt and did not know about wiring at all until I told him about it. He was at the point of having defeated Plantera by then. So maybe, let the mechanic give something similar to little lessons (perhaps something like the tutorial in the mobile version), or just let her have a similar "Help"-option as the Guide has.
Thank you for reading this and maybe thinking about it.

I was wondering when will otherworld be released and will it have a hard mode
[DOUBLEPOST=1440429451,1440429119][/DOUBLEPOST]If there won't be non wire teleporters then why not make so there is a "quick wrench" that means you can place some wire one place (A) then place (B) somewhere else and (A) will try and connect to (B) up to the amount of wire in your inventory

Well, it is fixable without changing the drop rate by very much at all. If something has a 1% drop chance, you could make it so that every 100 kills, it is guaranteed to drop -- if it drops before that, this counter is reset. That puts an upper limit on the drop chance. If you didn't want to deal with such counters, then you could have it automatically drop every 200 kills, which does increase the drop chance a bit, but not too bad. Worst case, adjust the drop rate accordingly. If the drop chance becomes 0.5%, but every 200 kills it will always drop (no counters), then that's on average the same 1 in 100 rate as before -- yet it is far less random. Best part is that enemy kills are already kept track of, so the amount of coding needed is relatively small.

As for mechanics, I think the biggest thing I want is the phasing out of wires in favor of Starbound-like wireless connections -- "wires" are still there in a sense, but they aren't an actual item. You click on one point and run a wire to another point you click on. In the code only the connections matter, so wires can criss-cross without issue. It wouldn't be hard to keep the current wires in while moving two a new system, I think.
I was thinking about something like this too, but I'm not sure how hard this would be to implement and didn't know where to post this, as this thread is more about wires and all that. It would really help players who would get screwed over by RNG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom