Game Mechanics Giving Torches a special inventory slot

When in the world of Terraria, you're almost certain to need some sort of light source - from the twisting tunnels of the Dungeon to the harrowing minutes after the sun sets. This suggestion is designed to make sure you'll have torches on hand almost all the time.

First of all, Torches should be made stackable to 999. They already are my leading cause of inventory clutter.
Item_8.png
Second of all, they should be given their own special inventory slot (similar to ammo; one to four slots would be given). Each is to hold torches specifically. Torches that are picked up when there is no stack in the main inventory will divert to the slot by default. This would reduce inventory clutter for a very useful item.

All portable light sources (i.e. glowsticks, torches, not furniture) could be placed in these slots.

Thanks,
Silver

Last edited:
Maybe not only 1 slot, because glowsticks and other items also create light, so maybe the same change to other light sources.

Otherwise, support. :dryadsmile:
Qw2Approves.png

Well there's already going to be extra slot for grapples in 1.3 why not for torches and glowsticks,full support.

uhm... I don't see much of a reason for this, as a few slots for torches and glowsticks wouldn't make a big difference... In facts all your doing is adding more unnecessary slots for them... no support I guess. :l

I agree with the increased stack, but another slot would be a little annoying, especially people who don't use shift. The slots section is already a bit hodgepodgey. With the increased stack size, over 10 normal stacks of torches would be gone, I think that's enough.

Seems like sort of the thing inventory wussies would want. Just learn to organize your inventory. Although I agree with torches stacking to 999.

but that still takes up 2 inventory slots and if your in a tough situation its hard to find time to stop and make torches

It's either use three (wood, torches and gel) that lasts for a friggin' long time or bring five or more stacks of the stuff for your exploration.

Inventory management, people. It's a skill, there's no denying it. I have little issues managing my inventory, just delete the stuff that has little use/sell value. Money is easy to get in the game, and you can always make another world to re-acquire the 'finite' items.

And one extra dedicated slot isn't going to help zealous hoarders (the only thing they'd be settled at is an inventory double the size of the current one at the least).

Also, if you somehow can't find a single moment to hold right-click for a second and somehow use up dozens of torches during a fight, I think I know who to blame.

There's the problem that carrying a couple stacks of wood/gel kinda takes up more space than torches would. What'sa problem with having an extra slot for torches?

If torches get a separate slot, what about glowsticks? Healing Potions? Mana Potions? Pets? Tools? There'd be no end.
People have 50 slots of inventory space for a reason. Plenty of space to store a stack of torches in.

Reactions: Qw2
If torches get a separate slot, what about glowsticks? Healing Potions? Mana Potions? Pets? Tools? There'd be no end.
People have 50 slots of inventory space for a reason. Plenty of space to store a stack of torches in.
I'm laughing here because I had the Glowsticks included in the OP :p

If something has a hotkey, I don't think there's really a reason to give it a slot. Pets? Never would've thought of that, actually. Tools? Shift is kinda making them easy to get.

True, I do have 50 slots of inventory space. But too often those are full of other things when I run out of torches. An extra slot isn't a big deal, and it makes some of Terraria's most elementary items available.

I have no trouble managing my inventory. If it gets full I dump things into the safe and/or piggy bank until I get back to base. Too much? Drop the least valuable or useful items.

What I would like is the ability to have a torch lit while using another weapon/tool/whatever. If it were a separate inventory slot that would be fine, but consider that we're able to use a grappling hook without holding it every second. So why not torches? They're far more generally applicable than grapples, yet there's no way to (for instance):

• light your way while mining, without drastically decreasing your defense
  • see what's attacking you while using an umbrella to float down from on high
  • cut trees at night without bother or mess
  • take part in a mob demanding that Doctor Frankenstein hand over his monster to the townspeople
New slot or not, I'd like it if just having torches or other hand-held light source in the inventory or hotbar were sufficient to ♫ light up my liiiiiife. ♬

Back
Top Bottom