Game Mechanics Have Santa leave Christmas in a non-violent way

TheGoomba98

Terrarian
I know this is a weird time to say something Christmas-related, but I know a new update is coming soon, and I've had this on my mind for a while.

As you may know, Santa Claus can only exist in your world during the Christmas season, and when it's over, he dies like any NPC (except for the Angler and Princess) where he bursts into gore, and the chat broadcasts "Santa Claus was slain..."

However, that has always seemed weird to me. I think he should really just disappear in a puff of smoke when that happens, like when the aforementioned kid NPCs "die" (although he should still be able to die the normal way when his health reaches 0), and the chat would instead broadcast "Santa Claus has departed" like when the Traveling Merchant leaves.

I know this might be intentional, since his Bestiary entry says that he makes "an even bigger, rather explosive exit", but that might also be a recently-devised lore fact in response to this long-standing thing. I really don't think it should've been standing that long, though - why do you still have Santa leave in this way when the game has since added more peaceful ways to have an NPC leave?

Yeah this seems... right.
It also makes no sense when he respawns next Christmas. Did they just get replacement Santa?

It saddens me that he has to go. After all, we can defeat Frost Moon and get Christmas, so why kill him. Santa appears in the credits so why can't he be a permanent NPC.

Back
Top Bottom