How do YOU use your safe and piggy bank?

ManaUser

Brain of Cthulhu
I was just wondering what people like to use their safe and piggy bank/money trough for? Extra storage, obviously, but more specifically what kind of things do you keep in each, and why?

To get started, here's how I use them.

Initially the piggy bank is mainly for my money, but I use it for carrying extra loot back to my base if needed.
Then when I get the safe, that takes over the roll of loot transport (since it's more convenient), and the piggy bank is used for tools and equipment I want with me, but only need rarely. Examples would be traps and actruators, buckets (full or empty), a workbench for on-the-go grafting, and mining outfit, fishing gear, that kind of thing. And in multiplayer, anything I don't really need, but don't want stolen.
Then finally when I get the money trough, my uses for the pig and safe switch, since now the pig is the easiest to access.

As of my current mp game with 10 or something players, I'd say half my piggy back is holding my 1,247 Crates, then it has Gold Critters, money, and Fishing Potions with Waterless Bucket, and Sponge, my Safe is holding hardmode mob drops, all souls, 20+ strange plants, 600 Chlorophyte bars, 300 or so Hallowed Bars, I may sometimes hoard items I find, but there's another time where I don't want items to go to waste.

I typically use my piggybank for Buff potions/angler armor. Saves space since once you start stacking potions into your inventory, they take up a lot of space.

I'll also have a safe inside the piggy bank/money trough which I throw any extra stuff I get when my inventory gets full and empty it out later with an already placed safe at home.

Oh yeah, keeping one inside the other. That's a good question I didn't think to ask. I used to do that before 1.3, but now with the money trough, I feel like they're both convenient enough that they're worth keeping in my main inventory. Another thing I do with the safe and and piggy bank, is I carry at least two of each (once I can afford that). Mainly so it keeps favorite status when I set one down, but it's also good to have a backup when I (inevitably) misplace one.

Depends if I'm playing Singleplayer or Multiplayer.

On SP, I'm using them as a money storage. Sometimes I also use them to put extra items when I'm exploring places with a significant amount of loot (example: Dungeon, Jungle Temple, Underworld), but only when I've a Money Trough.

On MP I use them also as temporary chests. Many servers are survival-like and chests often aren't protected, so I'm keeping my loot in safes and piggy banks to avoid my valuable/rare stuff from being stolen.

I use my safe to keep accessories and potions, and my Money Trough gets used for money, crafting stations, and other random items that I use on occasion.

My piggy bank contains all of the stuff I want access too, but don't want clogging my inventory, such as angler/miner armor sets, accessories for various situations, and a few other items that are useful to have available, such as water candles. My safe has more empty space, which I use when I have a lot of things in my inventory I don't want to lose, but it does contain souls and gemstones.

The money trough changed everything. I was using them both as extra inventory space, with the piggy bank inside the safe as the third inventory section. But now the bank is accessible wherever and there's no risk of forgetting it, so I use it as a utility belt. It's got my cash, tools, potions, and spare weapons inside it. The safe is still inventory expansion, and I carry a few since I tend to forget them.

My piggy bank (which I use the money trough to access) is mostly used for money and extra storage if needed, as well as keeping a few other items around that I don't want to keep in my inventory. My safe is normally empty; I pretty much only ever use it when my piggy bank runs out of space.

It depends on which part of the game I'm at. If I'm quite early game, I literally throw anything in to empty my own inventory. If I'm end-game, I tend to only put things in I always want to have with me, but not neccessarily in my own inventory.

Before Red trolled us and prevented safes from storing money and the addition of the money through I had always kept my money in my safe along with unused potions and back up equipment(Because piggy banks required you to use a platform or table to place it where as safes could be put anywhere).

Now with the money through Coins are stored in the piggy bank along with some alternate equipment pieces and potions stacks of stuff that need to be temporarily stowed usually because I have left the environment where lootables are and of course a safe (which carries my other weapon class's equipment for when I want to switch classes...)
There is also a stack of heart lanterns water candles and campfires for when I want to set up a temporary base.

Yeah so basically it is really ugly. Organization is hard...

I use my personal storage to hide things from Spazzy when we're sharing a playthrough world. I don't even bother showing him what biome dungeon keys I've found until after they can even be used. I also store some spare accessories and my money of course.

Before Red trolled us and prevented safes from storing money [...]
Wait. That didn't happen. The only change (aside from the money through, which is most welcome) is that quick-stack doesn't work for coins in chests. Safes still work fine. I'm not sure how that idea got started, but I've heard a couple of people say that now. I just double-checked and you can most definitely still quick-stack coins to a safe.

Back
Top Bottom