Magic: The Gathering

That's par for the course for card games. People want to know about the newer sets, and what to expect in terms of deck types and cards. You can't walk in without doing some research or preparation if you want to do well. I do not find this to be disrespectful or anything in my opinion, it's a major part of tournament play.

This.
Heaven forbid if people want to try and win a tournament and put forth effort to do so. :p

I'm not sure if netdecking is considered effort? More like "I spent a few minutes looking up other people's successful deck strategies and then spent a ton of money getting all the individual cards for it".

Not that I begrudge them entirely, I just stay out of that kind of Magic. Competitive metagame crunch is just not for me.

I play mtg I mostly use blue and any other color deck but I have a all foil(including lands) sliver deck

I'm not sure if netdecking is considered effort? More like "I spent a few minutes looking up other people's successful deck strategies and then spent a ton of money getting all the individual cards for it".

Not that I begrudge them entirely, I just stay out of that kind of Magic. Competitive metagame crunch is just not for me.

Well, just copying a deck and looking at a few combos/strats for that deck doesn't win you the game alone, really.(And if it did, its more likely the cards that deck uses were probably over tuned with one and another.)
Those people most likely play-tested those decks constantly to get a feel for the deck. To find weaknesses. To find out other potential cards that have synergy with the deck. Know how to use that particular deck against a particular archetype. And if it's tournament of some sorts, would you not want to use the best of the best to have a better chance at winning? Why reinvent the wheel? A prize makes things sweeter too, if there is one. And even if it there were no prizes, wouldn't' playing at the highest level possible be a fun challenge?

I just don't think it's fair to be hard on those who tried to play their best and tried to learn the current meta/deck picks.

I can respect if people wanted to play at a more casual level.(I mean, who wouldn't want to play with some of the more sillier cards, like Scarecrows and Form of the Dragon?) But players should not be upset if they are in a tournament, where you are expected to play to win, and they lose cause they played against players who did came prepared/more prepared. It's a tournament for a reason.

I dunno, net decking(With actual testing/trying to understand the deck.) or simply learning a set before it's release for a tournament should not be frown upon. They are still playing by the rules. And it is a tournament, so of course people are going to "try hard".

Eh, different people have different ways of enjoying a game. I can't enjoy metagame, so I just avoid that sort of thing. I'm not saying it's bad, just that it seems like it leads to a much more sterile environment. I wonder if these people actually enjoy the process of minmaxing, or if they only do it to win?

Nevertheless, I'm not really insulting people who do that... Though I will say that those kinds of people ruined local Friday Night Magic for me by basically treating me like garbage for not being a 'good' player. It's just not my crowd. 8S

I'm not trying to say that metagamers are bad people.

I just hate their :red:ing guts. A game is played to have fun. If your idea of fun is curbstomping everything within a 1-mile radius of a tournament filled with people either just getting into Magic or knocking off the rust of oldbies, then you're essentially a living turd to me.

But that's like... Just my opinion, maaaan.

@Willio, find a race that seems fun to you, and go with that. Then play some folks on here for a better feel of how your deck works. Then tweak as necessary.

Eh, different people have different ways of enjoying a game. I can't enjoy metagame, so I just avoid that sort of thing. I'm not saying it's bad, just that it seems like it leads to a much more sterile environment. I wonder if these people actually enjoy the process of minmaxing, or if they only do it to win?

Nevertheless, I'm not really insulting people who do that... Though I will say that those kinds of people ruined local Friday Night Magic for me by basically treating me like garbage for not being a 'good' player. It's just not my crowd. 8S

That sounds more like an issue with people being sore winners/elitists/jerks, rather than people simply playing to win. And every fandom has those. Even some of the suppose "casual" players are like that too, from my experience. No side is immune.

I'm not trying to say that metagamers are bad people.

I just hate their :red:ing guts. A game is played to have fun. If your idea of fun is curbstomping everything within a 1-mile radius of a tournament filled with people either just getting into Magic or knocking off the rust of oldbies, then you're essentially a living turd to me.

Again, it is a tournament. I do not know what else you were expecting. You are in a play to win environment. Maybe there was a prize. Maybe there was an entry fee of some sort. Even if there was no fee or prize, it should not matter.

If this was a purely casual event(And even that is opening an even bigger can of worms.) then I can see your point. There really should not be a reason at all to metagame/tryhard in a casual event. Course, people should always try and play to win, no matter what the format is. Just obviously tone down in power compared to a more serious event. But this is not the case for this particular event here.

Actually I have just recently been trying to get into this. Anyone have any tips?

When I started playing, I really liked doing booster drafts. They are more expensive at times. But its a decent way to get a collection up, as well as teaching you how to understand card value.

There's also software called Cockatrice from woogerworks that can let you build up decks and challenge players online, but it's not automated so you have to not only count on yourself not to misclick, but also make sure your opponent(s) don't as well. I would really only recommend this if you have people you can play with that you know personally. Also, updating sets is kinda a pain sometimes.

That sounds more like an issue with people being sore winners/elitists/jerks, rather than people simply playing to win. And every fandom has those. Even some of the suppose "casual" players are like that too, from my experience. No side is immune.

Again, it is a tournament. I do not know what else you were expecting. You are in a play to win environment. Maybe there was a prize. Maybe there was an entry fee of some sort. Even if there was no fee or prize, it should not matter.

If this was a purely casual event(And even that is opening an even bigger can of worms.) then I can see your point. There really should not be a reason at all to metagame/tryhard in a casual event. Course, people should always try and play to win, no matter what the format is. Just obviously tone down in power compared to a more serious event. But this is not the case for this particular event here.

When I started playing, I really liked doing booster drafts. They are more expensive at times. But its a decent way to get a collection up, as well as teaching you how to understand card value.

There's also software called Cockatrice from woogerworks that can let you build up decks and challenge players online, but it's not automated so you have to not only count on yourself not to misclick, but also make sure your opponent(s) don't as well. I would really only recommend this if you have people you can play with that you know personally. Also, updating sets is kinda a pain sometimes.

I wish I could add like... :red:ken spotlights and neon styling to this big red text. Smh. -_-

I wish I could add like... :red:ken spotlights and neon styling to this big red text. Smh. -_-

It being an opinion does not change anything.

It was a competitive environment. Players are expected to play at thier best with thier best. There is nothing wrong with "metagaming" or "tryharding" in that type of environment.

Players who wish to play in these type in tournaments need to understand and respect that. If you truely wish for no metagaming\tryharding, then do not bother with competitive events. And the best part: There is nothing wrong that either.

That is a fact, maaaan.

It being an opinion does not change anything.

It was a competitive environment. Players are expected to play at thier best with thier best. There is nothing wrong with "metagaming" or "tryharding" in that type of environment.

Players who wish to play in these type in tournaments need to understand and respect that. If you truely wish for no metagaming\tryharding, then do not bother with competitive events. And the best part: There is nothing wrong that either.

That is a fact, maaaan.

It being an opinion means I'm not trying to argue a point or needing some sort of explanation for why I don't like certain types of people.

Holy :red:, man. Get a grip.

Please calm down, folks, this is beginning to leak into potential personal attack territory and that never ends well.

I propose a change of topic; what's everyone's favorite color or color-combination?

My best decks tend to be white, but I have a lot of fun with green, as well.

I have two Mono-white (one token-weenie, one flying/angels), a Mono-green (spiders, oozes, and hydras mostly), a Mono-red (burn/betrayal), Blue/Black (mill/beat-you-in-the-face-with-unblockable-Consuming-Aberration... in theory; it actually sucks in practice), Red/Green (werewolves), Green/Black (insect/spiders/self-discard), and Five-color (Scarecrows; THE WORST DECK).

Last edited:
It being an opinion means I'm not trying to argue a point or needing some sort of explanation for why I don't like certain types of people.

Holy :red:, man. Get a grip.

It being an opinion doesn't change facts. Especially since it's an opinion with bad logic. It's play to win environment. Players should be able to try hard their hearts out in that type of a event.

I propose a change of topic; what's everyone's favorite color or color-combination?

I really like black. The imagery of some cards. The whole "Greatness at any cost" vibe from some of the cards.(Demon of Death's Gate, Small Pox, Delraich, Dark Confidant, Phyrexian Arena, and Barter in Blood comes to mind.) Not to mention black is home to many hand control effects, which is a strategy I always in enjoyed in TCGs.(Admittedly, its not something I would play often in more casual settings, simply cause it's not really fun when your opponent strips every card from your hand.)

Then there's red and green, simply cause I love playing dragons, and green helps bring them out faster and more reliable. Especially if I consider adding an addition color to the deck, giving me more options for dragons! There was also a time I went white and created a slow enchantment based deck, built around Form of the Dragon. It was not good, but it was fun pretending to be a dragon! If only for a very short and abrupt while.

Blah blah blah I'm ignoring your point of view in lieu of seeing myself type all these pretty words.

I don't give two rats' asses that you think my opinion is "wrong". It's my gawdamn opinion, buddy. How dense are you to not realize I'm not arguing with you and just drop the "I'M ALWAYS RIGHT FOREVER AND EVER" :red:. Are you still in middle-school or something?

ONTOPIC: Token decks are awesome. I have a white soldier/knight one and a red goblin token spam one.

Mono is the way to go, woo.

I like the artwork of the cards more than anything. I collect the cards for fun -- but I don't play. I never got a knack for the strategy involved, and I can never seem to remember all of the rules.

If I had to play though, I like to toy around with White/Blue decks.

My favourite colour combination is red and black. I really love aggro style decks, and we usually get that with red and black. Plus, that colour combination is home to a lot of creatures I like, mainly demons. I got into the game a little late as I would of loved to have played when the Return to Ravnica block was standard legal, Rakdos had everything I wanted! :p

My favourite colour combination is red and black. I really love aggro style decks, and we usually get that with red and black. Plus, that colour combination is home to a lot of creatures I like, mainly demons. I got into the game a little late as I would of loved to have played when the Return to Ravnica block was standard legal, Rakdos had everything I wanted! :p

Rakdos is awesome as hell. I have a deck built around him.

My friends hate me:
29.jpg
+
46.jpg
= ouch.

Long time without playing MTG I still have my decks that I'm pretty sure are discounted or whatever...now I only get some cards because the illustrations, are awesome

Back
Top Bottom